Agnostic.com

51 18

Living alone when you're sick. How do you feed yourself?

Today I was diagnosed with pneumonia. Started an antibiotic and was referred to an ENT doctor.

Have had a recurrent sinus infection since July. Already took two courses of antibiotics. Frustrating. I'm usually very healthy. I'm an athlete, for heaven's sake!

That's why I was so slow while hiking last Tuesday. Not surprised I have pneumonia. Have been coughing hard, running a fever and feeling exhausted.

This morning, I started a big pot of chicken broth from frozen chicken bones I saved in the freezer. Broth simmered for five hours. The house smells wonderful.

Now I'm simmering chicken-vegetable-noodle soup with garlic, ginger and other herbs. Hooray!

Chicken vegetable soup: prescribed by mothers across the world.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hope you get to feeling better quickly.
When I'm sick, it's just like any other day.
I eat when I'm hungry.

being disabled, i get some services from the county, and one of them is mom's meals (like meals on wheels). i keep them in the freezer. i eat them for breakfast but if i am sick enough and have to ask my guy, who can't cook, and has alzheimer's, to feed me, i just ask him for a mom's meal. he can heat it in the microwave. it's not gourmet dining but it is better than starving and it's better than fast food.

g

Dunno..depends. When I was almost killed in 2014 by being beaten in the head by a thief who ambushed me for my birding camera, I couldn't even stand up.

I made it to my room, and Thai residents at the apartment building piled a couple of banana stalks near me, with a jug of water. The hospital told me to tell my friends to check on me each day to see if I'm still alive, so I did.

I managed to survive on bananas until I could walk to a nearby store for more food.

Now that I'm recovering from intestinal cancer, using cannabis oil, I have to walk long distances-seven blocks each way at times, to get food here in Songkhla, Thailand, since I sold my motorbike last year when I thought I was about to fly to the US.

I use cheap public transportation, or just keep trying to walk, despite being dizzy from cannabis oil and my muscles not working properly, depending on when I last took some.

Luckily, here in Thailand, there are food vendors everywhere selling food from motorbike side car carts, tables set up on the sidewalk, tiny shops, etc. Unluckily, there are only a few foods my body accepts, although the list keeps growing.

I found that I must eat certain foods at certain times if I want to improve and that changing my schedule or even buying food from a different vendor can result in symptom setbacks.

Each food schedule only lasts a couple of weeks before I start craving some other illogical food and the feeling intensifies until I finally take a risk and eat it. Usually, eating that food, no matter how silly, suddenly improves my health and often another food I had been eating before begins to disagree with me-often violently (sigh).

But whenever I humor this food weirdness, I improve rapidly, so I suppose my body needs certain nutrients at certain times.

Oh man. I wish I was there to share it. Enjoy! May the force be with you and the chicken soup.

TV dinners and Stouffer's chicken pot pies

Wow that sounds good. Care to share a sample ?

If I were alone and sick, I would call for delivery which is the easiest way of feeding yourself, especially nowadays with a myriad of choices, including Uber Eats, Chinese, pizza, etc.

I cook in batches so I can pop things in the freezer & have a few days of food in the fridge. When I make soups or stews in large batches, I can a few pints to put up. I keep protein shakes in the house for grab & go. When I am sick, I have friends who are out here like a flash or who take me to their house where they can keep an eye on me (if they leave me home, they know I will try to do chores).

I was 60 years old before I lived alone. I loved it until the first time I got really sick. Then it was a little weird.

Very few times that i was really bad sick, once I needed to drive to another town to go to a doctor, almost exploding from migraine, and then sleep on the parking lot because the heavy painkillers were making me too sleepy to drive, by the morning the migraine was still there, I did't even went out of the parking lot and back to the hospital.
But in general when sick I bake a lot of stuff, just season on the same glass that will go to the oven, watch some series for the baking time and enjoy XD

You need plenty of rest and fluids and the antibiotic. The soup will be delicious and nourishing and will be comforting. After the antibiotic is finished the cough may persist and you may still feel tired for a week or two, sometimes a second course is required. Hope you recover quickly , but don’t try to excercise too soon, rest instead.

If really sick, Grubhub!

Same way I did when I was married. I drag myself out of bed and get some food. But now I see that you mean what kinds of food. I eat the same.

Last time I got really ill I stayed at my parents. I had the flu and didn't eat for a week, so the cooking part was simple.

Is go for the chicken soup also its complexity varies depending on how I feel ?

Chicken soup is good. I once knew a Jewish lady with 2 chickens. One got sick and she made chicken soup of the other one to help the sick one. It all worked out just fine.

I forgot to add please get well soon ?

I find living alone and being ill one of the most lonely activities ever. I don't need constant attention but to hear a human presence in the house is comforting. I do all of those things; make the broth etc but it is awfully lonely. I prefer to be the healthy one looking after my poor sick companion.That is more fun.

Sounds like you’re doing all the right things. I hope you feel better soon.

keep the phone near you can't gt up call 911

I was really sick earlier this year and my wonderful mom was so worried, even though she lives in a different town, ordered soup and some of my favorites from local place near me and had it delivered. I had to send her a pic to show I was actually eating 🙂

By planning ahead and just eating enough to get better, that way you can avoid having to deal with the bathroom too much. Keep your drink in a container next to your bed and hope your illness doesn't last long. It won't be fun so try to sleep through most of the time.

I do it the same way I look after my livestock when I am sick, I force myself to do what is necessary to sustain, then put my ass back to bed. A couple of years ago I got pneumonia in the middle of calving season both my cows, their calves and I survived.

Grubhub.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:183274
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.