Agnostic.com

55 4

Do atheists, who find no magic in the world, live drab, boring lives, by comparison?

• 5 votes
  • 72 votes
CallMeDave 8 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find a lot of magic in the world. Through human and animal connections. Connecting with the natural world. The moments of sparkle that happen when you least expect it. ?

Actually, I find proper prim theists to be boring people. You certainly don't have to believe in a God-is-going-to-get-you cynical delusion to be an interesting person.

Theisim is a shallow thing about my needs, my god, my salvation etc. and therefore it tends to atract shallow people.

That's cute but ok, here is my comment..... My life has been ha ha ha type of boring. Any other questions?

Not at the present time

I don't know but I think there is a serious bias to these answers

Not really very serious though. Just poking the bear.

@CallMeDave consider the bear poked sir.

The world is full of magic! I teach biology, and I love talking about all the amazing, mind-blowing things out there (and frankly, it would be a pretty sick diety to do some of them, like baby sharks preying on each other before birth or a lot of the nasty parasites). I was up in the mountains today — they are always magical to me.

Religious people don’t like to think of themselves as believing in magic, although I certainly talk about the “abracadabra moment” when Adam “became”. But it’s certainly a version of magic. The natural world, IMHO, is also magical, regardless how much we know about it. In many ways, the more we know, the more magical it is.

Kodij Level 5 Sep 29, 2018

If the individual who happens to be an atheist finds no "magic" in the world this seems to be more of a choice in mental narrative versus some byproduct of atheism. In fact, one might say that atheism, in and of itself, is a mental narrative which is allowed to play versus the "B side."

Well, I spend my day chasing leprechauns just for the craic.

Wow. Assume much? Do religious people who need some invisible sky god to justify their actions or excuse their inaction live sad pathetic lives without real meaning?

Quarm Level 6 Sep 29, 2018

False basis.

Any PERSON who finds no magic in the world lives a relatively drab life compared to those who find it compelling.

Since there are depressed theists and optimistic atheists, let's re-frame the question properly:

Is belief or unbelief in god related to optimism or a sense of wonder?

I would say no.

All it actually involves is to realize that you are of no great significance in what passes for the great scheme of things, yet you get to experience being alive and to make choices (limited but still, in general, interesting). And that's pretty awesome. If you realize that then it tends to make your life interesting. If you don't then it tends to make your life shit. Your choice.

Unbelievers have at their disposal the wonders of nature and science; believers in addition have at their disposal, their shared imaginations (asserted, as always, without evidence) that these things are created specifically for them and also that some portion of them are arbitrarily forbidden for them to explore.

So you tell me who is more likely to find enjoyment and purpose?

My intent was to diffferiate between the strictly atheist and those who might define themselves in terms similar to "spiritual but not religious.". Bible thumpers excluded from consideration, though I did not specify that.

No. The magic's in the music, and the music's in me.

Barry? Is that you?

In my opinion the word magic is more descriptive of the intensity of a feeling. There is so much in our world that fills me with awe that it sometimes has a magical quality to it.

Betty Level 8 Sep 29, 2018

By comparison to what? How would I know? As an atheist, I live a empty, drab, and boring life. I find no magic or wonder in the world. I have no passion, appreciation, love, or empathy. Sometimes I wish I was less intelligent so I could comfort myself by believing in anything other than cold, hard, provable facts.

This may be the most meaningless poll I ever responded to. Come with me some Friday night, and I'll show you some secular fun.

Non-magical though, I take it.

@CallMeDave Depending on what you are willing to ingest, there will be some magic. ?

I still have an imagination and can enjoy shows about mysticism and ghosts and the like, though I don't believe in any of that. Everybody likes to get spooked now and again.

godef Level 7 Sep 29, 2018

Me too. What would The Lord Of the Rings be without Gandalf? Or a dragon?

No. Not everyone likes to get "spooked".

Hell, no! We find beauty and joy in the real world and in human relationships.

Joy and beauty are not the same as magic or telepathy or spirituality.

@CallMeDave They certainly are not: They are much better and much more.

Fucking crystal lovers. I used to work for a crystal wholesaler. The number of woo freaks that I had to warn to wash their hands after handling galena.
"It's got amazing energy."
"Yes, but it's still lead sulphide. Please wash your hands."
(Thoughts: and you don't have any brain cells to spare.)

Awgawd, I've seen that at so many gem and mineral fairs. Big signs that say 'please do not touch with bare hands' and people still paw at the fuckin galena to 'feel its energy.'. Argh. Piss off, woowoos, and let me buy my pretty rocks in peace.

@memorylikeasieve I sometimes want to see what sort of energy they pick up from uraninite.

Theism probably satisfies more people's more animal (heartfelt) concerns, which is important, but just cos it does, doesn't in itself make it true. People's more cerebral (brainfelt) concerns require more evidence for what is true. To me atheism means witholding belief in a god or gods (theistic or deistic) until there's more good evidence.

I saw a video the other day somewhere in the middle east that showed a traffic jam because 2 camels were going at it in the middle of the highway. That was magical, but probably not the kind you are thinking about.

That is the definition of magic.

@Minta79 for the camel's at least

By comparison to???

"spiritual but not religious"

Whether or not life is boring is perception. A person may be interested in stamp collecting while another is not. Magic is a form of entertainment. As for belief in real actual magic? Science is working on what we don’t understand and weather or not all the answers are found we have already uncovered enough to know it’s not magic.

Stamp collecting ftw

@CallMeDave Yes Dave… Stamp collecting would be an example of something that most people might find boring but not everyone does.

Define magic?

For this I meant the subtle inexplicable nuances that defy rational explanation. But that's just me.

@CallMeDave Are you saying that atheists don't find anything inexplicable? I beg to differ.

@Stephanie99 no, not all. But it does seem like some adhere to the idea that everything can be explained by either science or mental self-trickery.

@CallMeDave I do, but not everything can be fully explained now. I don't think that magic exists. I don't think that unproven things exist. There are surely things that exist that haven't been proven yet, but there will be reasons why, such as chance, evolution, mental trickery, laws of physics etc.

" But it does seem like some adhere to the idea that everything can be explained by either science or mental self-trickery."

and pretty much I would agree with them. But I still find joy in watching a quality magic show or hypnotist..

Wow, the way that question is phrased. Was it your intent to be vague and/or irritating?

There are so many magical things that make my life beautiful. Love, nature, and friendship are some big ones. And--even better--they actually exist.

vaguely irritating.

Our lives are what we make of it, anyone who tells you otherwise is either mad or lying

I know people who claim to believe in sky daddy and are so miserable. They think they have a purpose in life. I say it is survival that is it. There is no divine purpose!

Yes. Yes we do.

I enjoy life as an atheist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:189712
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.