Agnostic.com

9 16

LINK Atheism Isn’t Really A Big Deal | Martin Hughes

FTA: Sometimes I forget that I’m even an atheist. I’m just living life these days.

At times I think it’s strange how Christians try to cast this as unhealthy, as depressing, as me being “lost.” First, I’m not trying to be happy; I’m trying to live a life that feels as connected to the world I actually exist in as possible. That’s what gives me comfort. That’s what makes me feel at peace in myself, in spite of all the turmoil in my life.

Second, I’m generally more happy than I was as a Christian. A boring, transparent, “clear” spiritual life is much preferable to the turmoil I experienced in the ups and downs of the Christian adventure. Sometimes, I think it’s strange that so many Christians are terrified of experiencing this.

But I’ll at admit that other times, I do understand why it might be nice to think I had a big guy in the sky, helping me out. At other times I wish a had a million dollars in my bank account. But wanting those things doesn’t make them true.

zblaze 7 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can identify with this. I do not understand the Christian who says they could not make it through a single day without Jesus. What did they do before conversion? What is it that Jesus gives them now? I cannot answer this.

On the other hand my confused life has always worked out for the better. In times good and bad it was always like I had a guardian of some sort dealing with the issues and helping determine a proper outcome. Today I pass this off to thought and the workings of logic. You are either logical or you are not. I do not read about it or study it, and there is no "logic school." Some that find themselves at my level today either write a book or they start another religion. I'll just mind my own business and leave it alone.

I havent ever had a religion but I find dissections of atheism distasteful because 'so what'! I wear green shoes = 'so what' its about as interesting ! some random fact about me that isnt even worthy of being a fact just a non-event. I could make a huge list of all the things 'I am not' & would that be at all interesting? - if not then my lack of interest in any god is completeley and utterly of no interest.

True. It should not be a big deal to state that you are an atheist. But I can say that in America that many religious people feel very threatened by someone else's religious ideals. It is a small part of what a person is, or should be, I think. Often people have rude questions about how a person behaves morally without religion or try to "save" you from "hell."

I admit that some people find comfort in religion, and when it helps them get through human trials and tribulations that is wonderful. However, I am just more happy with myself as an agnostic. It is how I think and a part of who I am.

I can agree and I also have answers on Quora.

I never gave it a second thought until I became friends with someone who’s a chaplain. It was awful. She introduced me to her family and friends as an atheist. Would give me ridiculous scenarios to test my lack of her faith. It was such a relief when we went our separate ways. I hated being treated as an oddity that needed to be fixed. Now I’m back to life where it’s no big deal and I have some peace.

Atheism is a microscopic part of my life.

Atheism shouldn't be a big deal. For the most part it isn't, until they decide somebody has to be burned at the stake or beheaded for it. Then it's a big deal.

I was a little bit different, yet have the same feeling.
I was never a believer, I was not raised in a religious household, so I never really thought about it much.
In fact I don't think I even heard the word 'Atheist' until was in my teens.

I never really thought that one needed a name for just not believing in a god.
But after growing up, and help from the internet I became aware of not just how many believers there are, but just how wacky some of them are.

In that last two decades or so I started to meet more and more believers, that said the same kinds of things that you mentioned, like it is unhealthy to not believe in got, i must be depressed with out god in my life, you hate god because you just want to sin, and many other crazy shit like that.

of the friends that I have, some are believers, and some are not.
We all get along just fine because we judge each other on the kind of person we are rather than what our beliefs are.
It's a shame that more people can't be like that.

If you're forgetting you're an atheist while living life; you're doing it exactly right.
You're not supposed to be aware of it.

Unless someone is trying to fill your kids head with life-destroying gibberish.

Being an activist for atheism seems pointless. You can oppose religion but I think thats something else like overthrowing a dictatorship or something. So I agree with the blogger we might as well just chill and live our lives without acknowledging religion in anyway.

Nardi Level 7 Sep 29, 2018

It is next to impossible to "live our lives without acknowledging religion in anyway" since religion is forced fed to us on a daily basis in countless ways and if you don't pay attention to what is going on, you just might wake up one morning with the bible police knocking on your door.

@jlynn37 I hear you. I am more agnostic but definitely non-religious and It terrifies me that the government is so bible supporting. It really worries me that women's issues like abortion rights could be taken away from us. It's a real concern for me in this nation.

@jlynn37 Thankfully where I live it's way easier. I rent a room in a predominantly Christian house and don't get harassed at all. But similarly I don't go after them either. No one cares really your beliefs are yours or the lack thereof.

@Nardi Again, it is NOT what individual's do that are a concern. It is what the government is trying to do and what society in general is allowing.

@jlynn37 Guess its harsh is USA. Uk seems much easier to be atheist.

@Martie1965 we have been threatened by that one today its a wee bit scary, but then our political system is a joke too .They should make a film called 'Carry on Brexiting' its a farce!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:189991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.