Agnostic.com

33 6

What are your favorite proofs against the Bible?

What contradictions and impossibilities (other than most obvious, fundamental ones: global flood, talking snake, virgin birth, resurrection etc) are your favorites to point out in the bible?

This is a really good article about some interesting ones, written by an honest pastor of all people, which is a rare find: [friendlyatheist.patheos.com]
These are the sorts of things I was noticing as a Bible scholar that made me start doubting, but I had forgotten half of them. The point about Jesus preferring everyone pray in the closet is a really good one for these days where theyre whining about not being able to display their piety publicly. Jesus supposedly really hated when people stunk of loud piety, but try tellin the prayer in schools crowd that ?

Wurlitzer 8 Sep 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Hebrew word for gods-plural is Elohim, the word for God-singular is El. When the King James Bible was compiled and translated from Hebrew, the word Elohim was changed to El 2,600 times in the old testament alone. In 1992 after reading William Bramewell's 'Gods of Eden' I asked my Father, who had served in the mission field for ten years, and was a protestant minister for 40 years, "How many times was Elohim(gods plural) changed to El(god singular) when the King James Bible was assembled." His reply was short and quick, "Twenty six hundred times the word 'gods' was changed to the word 'God' in the Old Testament alone.

I've always wondered why, if god is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, miracles have ceased. Why did they suddenly end at the same time people quit believing in magic and other absurdities? Coincidence?

Also, I have trotted out Matthew 6:5-6 a number of times when people gush about celebrity douche bags who like to pray in public, on camera, and do other things to draw attention to themselves and tap into the massive, built in Christian fan base that exists in America.

Depending on which poll one chooses to cite, anywhere from 65% to 80% of Americans identify as Christian, or with the Christian faith. In my opinion, this is why so many celebrities and politicians make a public show or profession of Christian faith. Despite the fact that Christ clearly came out against such a thing (and probably for this very reason).

For the record, the Biblical account of Christ is awesome. If such a person lived, he is the kind of person I aspire to be like. Humble, loving, forgiving, caring, compassionate, honest, full of integrity and grace, nonjudgmental, and inclusive. But all mythology needs a lovable protagonist, I suppose.

@SeriouslyNobody Love it!

I was recently reading a study on a key Buddhist sutra. There was an extensive breakdown of versions, translators, timeline, comparative strengths and weaknesses of each version, influences of language and culture, etc. It was a beautiful thing.

It threw into startling relief for me how absolutely absurd it is to claim any work of literature (especially large, old, important ones) is 100% straight from the source, unaffected by human error, malice, or the simple vagaries of time and language. And that's not even going near claims of "divine" provenance...

I don't try to prove or disprove the bible, i take it as a how-to manual, be it an ancient one.

I seek no proofs that disprove the bible, and accept the bible as just another book handed down through the ages, translated thousands of times, which is a metaphorical guide to human behaviour societal and personal. Was that a mouthful or what? hahaha

I don't try to disprove it any more than i try disproving mythical texts, poetry, other inspirational how-to publications, or anything else which has value, which the bible certainly has. It is a metaphorical masterpiece for me.

I try to learn something from everything.

I prefer to take the Bible, which i studied many years ago, as an ancient manual and benchmark for how people should behave, or not. It is a metaphorical learning opportunity for me, like any other behaviorally-focused published sources. No more, no less.

I have also had discussions with both rabbis and priests about the question of 'divine inspiration'. Isn't every author of meaningful works so inspired, if one believes in God?

@SeriouslyNobody, metaphors are just examples of what can be, using a parallel example and descriptions of situations to make a point. They can be positive, negative, or neutral.

You've listed behaviours which are clearly reprehensible to me, but there are many metaphorical lessons in the bible which speak to honesty, integrity, and love, for example.

Most books offer us lessons if we're open to them, both secular and religious. As the Buddha said, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear." And that lesson can also have positive or negative implications. Since examples or modelled behaviours can be both positive and negative, we humans have to differentiate between them and free will gives us the ability to choose which behaviours to adopt. A child can watch a bully and say to themselves, "i like that power/strength or whatever," so becomes the bully. And vice-versa.

Negative modelling can be also be a very powerful learning opportunity. Like when we do something nasty to someone, reflect on the pain we caused, then swear to never do it again. That is the negative modelling of our own behaviour from which we learn, sometimes after reflecting. Such negative modelling for ourselves enables us to be kinder and more loving people.

The bible offers all of it if we just read it as a how-to manual, and discard the religious implications. I never take it literally. The people who wrote it were obviously intelligent and perceptive of the world around them, whether we agree with their views or not.

@SeriouslyNobody You've obviously thought about this long and hard, and i do appreciate your views. I agree also that most people can't separate the good from the bad, which is where rationalization takes over for many.

I do it differently though. I spent my early years, from my late teens, developing my own moral code and behavioural rules, often through experimentation. My parents were holocaust survivors and had rejected all their religious teachings, so taught me almost nothing about their religion; much like many other survivors; i didn't even know that they had been raised Jewish until after my Dad died, so i decided to learn as much as i could on my own.

That's why, at 19 or 20, i can't remember exactly, i took a number of religion-focused courses at a community Jesuit College not far from my parents' house.
The courses i took focussed on the history of world religions, their proliferation, their differences, and their moral directives.

So by my early 20s, after seeing discrepancies and contradictions in most mainstream religions, and after reading the bible from end to end like a text, i decided that i had to develop a moral code of my own. Ultimately what developed became the rules which governed my default behaviours, and which have guided my life. The most important for me, which also guided my professional practice, is to do no harm to myself, to anyone else, and to the world in which i lived. Everything else flowed from there.

And i'm still learning.

God: Hey Abraham kill your son.
Abe: I don't want to but okidoke.
God: Jk
Abe: okidoke.

Or the entire book of Job.

well, you don't have to go past the talking snake, really. i don't spend a lot of time trying to disprove a work of fiction, though. fantasy is fantasy.

g

Best proof against the bible is the bible itself.

Not calling it proof. Off the top of my head, some of my favorite strange I've heard about the bible is:
The parts where god talks to himself, and there are no humans around to write it down, leaps to mind. If god is real that would be worrying.

When Adam and Eve eat the apple god says he/they have to stop them before they eat from the fruit of eternal life. But if there was no death in the garden, they were already immortal.

Jesus saying nothing that passes through the body can defile us. Meaning it's ok to eat diseased meat, it won't make you sick.

Oh, god can't use his powers on iron chariots.

Reading the bible you get the impression god understand the importance of evidence - which is why Jesus went about flaunting his magic powers as proof of his divinity.
But now we are supposed to believe in books with no evidence. NOW it's a virtue to have completely blind faith.

There is something mentioned somewhere about how the apostles don't have to have faith, they got to see it in person but the future generations who accept it on faith will receive greater rewards in heaven or something. Clearly along the line somewhere someone said "ok we need a bigger carrot for this stick" ?

When I run into an evangelical Christian I normally ask at some point “what makes your religion true and all the others false?” which generally brings some silence. ???

You can then finally corner them into admiting to blind faith alone, which works, or not, for all religions.

They claim that the Bible is the oldest book ever, but you can go on Amazon and buy brand new bibles. That’s not old, you dumb theists.

Carbon Dating

The Bible that is in use by the majority of Christian beliefs was pieced together from tales written by hundreds of scribes from hundreds of legends. Tales from various beliefs were incorporated into the legends passed down verbally over thousands of years, then reinterpreted over thousands more. It is a book of fiction based loosely on history and events at various times. It has the same value as worshipping Harry Potter (some day it could happen). And then all those legends and scrolls were condensed into a single work by a Roman emperor to consolidate his power, with any parts that did not affirme his power left out. This book was then translated by other monarchs and religious orders to suite their own agendas. Up to present times where variations are still published from time to time to serve religious leaders by “simplifying” the language to advance their own agenda. There is nothing more believable in the Bible than there is in Spartacus or Ulysses.

I like this a lot. But if I wanted to be perfect, I would add that actually there is good historical evidence for Spartacus, unless you refer only to the fictionalized version in the ballet and TV series, and though Ulysses/Odysseus is a legend you could even make a better case I think for him being real than Jesus.

the self contradictions are enough to show that the text can't come from a "perfect" source.
When an argument is self contradictory you don't need to argue against it.

a virgin giving birth always gets me...

Good article. Thanks for the link.

In and around 2005 I wrote a series of articles detailing false prophecies in the books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel. I also wrote on contradictions in the Bible, and about my hypothesis that Matthew was written as a satire, and various other articles showing why the Bible is not credible. I had posted them on my own website, which no longer exists.

I'd love to share them on this site, but I do not know if Word documents can be uploaded here. Help, anyone?

But to answer your question, the false prophecies are my favorite proofs against the Bible. Consider Deuteronomy 18:21-22:

You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed. (NIV)

If these verses are true, the biblical prophets are proved to be frauds by their demonstrably false prophecies. If the these verses are false, they are just one more example of biblical falsehoods.

cut and paste ?

@benhmiller Thank you. I have just made my first post on this topic. I took your advice by cutting and pasting a portion of one of my articles. I don't see it, though, in the queue. Do the administrators hold posts until they can preview them?

Serious academic biblical scholars don't claim that the Bible is 'true'. They recognise that it is a collection of folk-tales, legends, poetry and bits of history mixed together to form the foundation story first for Judaism and then for Christianity. It is only fanatical religious believers who claim that the Bible or any other religious book is 'true'.

Christainty and Muslim religion was invented from the same group of people who could not agree on anything

The trouble with that is that it is so vague and open to interpretation that people can and do build anything they like on it, and then it just becomes a false claim that you have gods authority to back whatever you invent. Why not at least try to found your world view on something like science which at least tries to be truthful and can be questioned? If you build a house on sand! (Bible quote.)

It's funny, but no matter how inconsistent, ridiculous, moronic or downright evil something in the Bible is, Christians will defend it vigorously. When I first started studying the faith I was brought up in, I was surprised to find some of the inconsistencies. I thought "now why haven't other Christians noticed this?", but the more I looked, and the less I believed it was actually the inspired word of God, the more ridiculous it seemed to me. When I read in now, it reads like any other ancient myth.
It's really all in your head. If you believe it, you'll forgive any contradictions or ignore them. When you start to disbelieve, they just seem to jump out at you, and it all seems unbelievable.

Even when I was a believer they bothered me. I tried to understand and find an apologist view and succeeded, but they still didnt seem quite right until I realized oh yeah: its all bullshit lol. Makes sense now.

“God said let there be light and there was light.” ? x 1000.

and God said to himself "wow that was fast!"

This comment is more to your question. I don’t worry about “refuting” the Bible. Most theists take care of that for me. Since for them the Bible gets its authority from being the word of god we don’t have to refute it. If they try to use the Bible to prove god or their religion they are commuting the fallacy of begging the question. The Bible is the word of god and therefore, god what they are trying to prove by using the Bible cannot be used since his existence is already assumed. QED ???

The fact that Jesus called gentiles 'dogs' not worthy of feeding, yet saint Paul makes them his ministry. (Sorry I see that's in there, posted first and read second, but it is still vital.)

Claiming the moral high ground while endorsing slavery.

To have a talking snake or donkeys or build Noah's Ark. The goat herder guilds to the Universe writers. Must of had something stronger than the blood of Jesus or magic mushrooms in their wine..

My biggest proofs against the bible are the bible itself. How and when all the books were put together as one book, people thinking this made a chain of events as a story, and lying through their teeth to claim it is all in harmony as an infallible narrative. That idea is simply not the case and is also exactly why you will find biblical contradictions.

Let's get into that very first book where you find a talking snake and it is all because of this serpent that you even need Jesus. It gets more ridiculous when you find out that the snake was right. To go along with Christianity you have to just continue to make things up. I rest my case.

I prayed for a new bike when I was 10... I didn't get it! What more proof do I need? 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:190269
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.