Agnostic.com

15 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The quedtion I have is this:"So the foundation of who are is determined by our genetics, (I have no problem with this conclusion), if this is true, just how pliable are these particular genes to external stimuli?" Can external stumuli ( Culture) interupt the original genetic message and how the individual responds to this stimuli?

Good question. I don't know the answer.

@t1nick Yes. You can start reading about it on wikipedia and look into their references. [en.wikipedia.org]

@Stephanie99 thanks Stephanie. Glanced at it now. But will more thoroughly later tonight.

So it is nature not nurture after all? That's been the accepted belief for some time, at least for those who keep up with science.

That author makes some unsupported statements.

"those on the left have tended to see the environment as the critical factor", my experience is the opposite.

"those on the right have leaned towards a more Darwinian conception" Come on, it's those on the right who are trying to teach creationism in our public schools.

Generally, when I read things that I know aren't true, I don't believe the other things that the author has to say. I do agree that it is mostly nature. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't have social and educational programs to help.

My own perspective on this. I married at 19. My (now ex) wife was 17 (and 364 days - needed her parents permission to marry because it was 1 day before her birthday). She had a son at 15 and was again pregnant when I met her. She had pretty much resigned her parental duties to her parents for the son. And because of this they had taken her to court for parental rights before we met. Also when she became pregnant, they were not going to support another child, so an open adoption was arranged for the second child.

So her parents moved away not long after we were married and the son went with them. We only got to see him about once per month. He did end up rejoining us when he was 13 (pretty much coincided with when we divorced). The second child (a daughter) went to live with the adoptive parents. Even though it was an open adoption, we lost touch after she was about 4 years old. Around the same time, we had a daughter. So my ex-wife has had 3 children and each of them were essentially raised in different environments.

Right before the second child turned 18, we reconnected with her. At the time, all of us got together for the first time. It was incredible. They were SO alike in mannerisms, tastes, activities, etc. It was down right scary. Yes they all have their own personalities, but they were so damn alike that they could have been raised together.

Anyway, my two cents.

I have always thought it was mostly, if not all, nature. I tend to believe there is no true free will. That's a lengthy discussion though.

I know this isn't proof, but there are people who grow up in loving homes and get great educations and still wind up in a life of crime etc. So how do you know it's not just their nature?

Studies have shown that while it is true that both nature and nurture are significant in raising children it is roughly 75% nature.

OCJoe Level 6 Oct 1, 2018

I think it's possible that the percentage could depend on how you were raised and how much you were allowed to be yourself.

Ever see time-lapse photography of Trees? Even plant life is in inexorable competition for space, light, air.

I may have to read this book. The Guardian's title for this review is upsetting, though. Click bait that doesn't really hint at anything.

There is no Nature vs Nurture debate. It's a sliding scale.

Buxx Level 7 Oct 1, 2018

Nature V Nuture was debunked long ago.

We don't live in closed systems, and we are more then the sum of our parts.

Angus Level 5 Oct 1, 2018

Anecdotal but very personal nevertheless. My daughter and I did not have contact for about the 1st 10 -11 years of her life. Just before her 11th birthday we met for the 1st time since she was 6 months old. We now see each other quite regularly. She shares so many of my characteristics, she is stubborn, funny, slightly lazy and everyone who knows us says how alike we are. As we got to know each other it has been like the nature/nurture debate in real life. Her mum is a wonderful parent. She has been brought up in a loving home. Of course this may have been different had she had harder times but I think much of who she is is me without any input.

It's both. It's nature AND its nurture. There is a heck of a lot about us that is hard-wired, heredetary, instinctive. And there is also our capacity to set our own course, based on our learning; the sum of our experiences. Call it executive function. The two are inextricably entangled. It's how we evolved.

It has always been plain that it is both to most people, in fact the reason why humans and other animals are so interesting is because of the many complex ways in which the two interact. The arguement on both sides comes from those can only want simple answers to questions because they are lazy or because they want to impose simple answers, in other words because they are tyrants at heart. The history of the last century is that of some tyranies trying to mould people to their will by mind contriol, and some tyranies trying to do it by ethnic cleansing and eugenics, and both ideas ended in death camps.

@Fernapple "The arguement on both sides comes from those can only want simple answers to questions because they are lazy or because they want to impose simple answers, in other words because they are tyrants at heart."

Says the atheist? Lol

@Piece2YourPuzzle The big division which really counts, is between holding groundless belief or not, the niceties within scepticism are tiny and unimportant compared with that. Some may think that they are on a higher rung of the ladder than others, and that may be true, but the really important thing is to have looked up and started the climb out of the cesspit of ignorance and prejudice which is blind unquestioning faith, looking at the light and not swimming nose down among the sludge where the zealots want to keep you. Therefore it is unfair to despise those who use a different ladder or can not climb quite as fast, and for that reason I always call myself a 'Broad Church Sceptic' though I use Atheist only as my main heading.

It is all three. Free will, nature and nurture.

Oh, one book say it’s nature over nurture? I guess that settles it.

It's worth checking out his ideas, though. He makes some good points.

@tnorman1236 Regardless of the topic, EVERYONE makes good points.

@jlynn37 yeah, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.....

Nurture is certainly a component, but I've always been strong on nature. It's science, it's in the genes. Of course, sociology is also a science.

godef Level 7 Sep 30, 2018

it is both. it always has been both.

g

Of course.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:190714
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.