Agnostic.com

35 5

Most atheists/agnostics started out being raised into some religion they didn't buy into. What religion and/or denomination did you not buy?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Catholic, then Baptist, then Evangelical. I eventually woke up.

you went through a lot

Long search, glad you found your way.

catholicism

Southern Baptist

We were sort of Lutheran / Presbyterian. Same shit, different flies.

Puerto Rico is catholic by default. There are all kinds of sects and denominations. private catholic school 6 years. But I was already out of religion somehow. It never stuck on me.

I was Irish Catlic..

Roman Catholic

Roman Catholic

First United Methodists and their savior, John Wesley...

Catholicism. Never approached it without questioning the lack of logic. We did not start attending mass until I was 11, so that may be why the brainwashing never took hold of me

Funkdamentalist Christian - and was forced to church every Sunday by my Dad. I had seen through the bullshit at a very early age much to dads chagrin.

Roman Catholic.

I started of as Assembly of God when I was fifteen. Through the years I attended Catholic, Episcopal, Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, and a few nondenominational. Also attended general Protestant services while in the military. Was searching for the "right" one. Didn't find it.
Recently I've gone to a Unitarian Universalist fellowship. Figure I'd check them out because you can be an Agnostic and they will let you in the door.

I was raised in the Presbyterian church because that was my mother’s faith, though we didn’t attend regularly. My father, however, was Jewish. As I grew older, I was made aware that my parents made this choice of what faith to raise my sister and I for various reasons.
Though I went through a short born-again phase in high school, the sheer fact of my parents making a choice of religion sowed the seeds of doubt for me at a young age. I was scolded for asking too many questions in my first bible study class when I was 6 or 7, so that didn’t last long.

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools, never fully identified with it but didn't start outright rejecting it until my late teens, spent most of my 20s searching for a better fit but not finding it, and due to several life events in my late 20s and early 30s, lost my faith entirely. I consider myself more agnostic than atheist (the non-existence of a higher power can't be proven either, and sometimes I have an easier time believing in a cruel, capricious god than that it's all just random, and sometimes I even WANT a god to direct my anger toward), but I know beyond a doubt that I can never believe what in the Christian version of God again.

Catholic, but it ran off me like water off a duck's back. By 14 I was reading books about Christian history and historical Jesus. Never looked back.

Wasn’t raised necessarily with religion in the home. There were a couple of bibles that were family hand me downs. But nothing instilled in me.

My family was Roman Catholic. I personally didn't have a bad experience with anyone in the church, but the reaction to my questions as a 6-year-old was disheartening.

I was raised Methodist but I don't remember ever believing in it, at age 5 (my earliest memories) I was a disbeliever & had already started to ask questions. As soon as I was old enough to stay home alone, I was done with it.

Methodist from my early memories. By 6 thought it was a lie like santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc. When we had kids in grade school, they started coming home saying that they were going to hell as we didn't go to the local catholic church. At that point, we were unchurched. Did go to several churches and the only one that seemed to have classes for the kids that had them questioning was a Unitarian Universalist church in New Mexico. I didn't identify as an agnostic or atheist as I really hadn't looked much at what I believed. Just knew what I didn't believe, and had left behind. Am still searching for what brings truth and meaning to me. Identify as atheist, humanist, and god-less pagan.

church of christ..

I was raised Jewish and had to go to Hebrew school until I was 13, but after that I was allowed to do what I wanted and question anything. I didn't really do so until I got to college, where I was surrounded by people of all different faiths and backgrounds. I've always been critical of fundamentalists from any religion - and they exist in every religion, too. Anyone who believes that their way is the only way, and that you're somehow inferior or misguided if you don't believe the way they do.

all of them

I was raised as a Methodist -- protestant Christian.

Was raised Catholic, started questioning at a young age. I guess I really couldn't get over all the hate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19408
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.