Agnostic.com

18 4

I just found out my husband gave a church over $1,700. I called the church and left a voicemail letting them know I am not pleased and that I told him time and time not to give a substantial amount of money to anybody especially without telling me. We have medical and attorney bills plus a new car payment. I’m seriously thinking about going into the church and giving them a peace of mind about them. They are a Seventh Day Adventist chruch.

Openmindtodoubt 3 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How did he arrive at that figure? If they convinced him it was tithing it won't be the last time. 10% of your income belongs to God, they feel, every paycheck. And no, your weekly offering when they pass the plate doesn't come out of that either - two separate things.

I’d cancel payment with your bank, then have an incredibly ugly fight with the husband.

Your husband was irresponsible ,but I agree with you that you should go to the church and inform them of your medical bills and try and get the money back. This is better than doing nothing.At least you tried .

Even though it is your husbands fault you have nothing to loose by going to the church and attempting to get your money back and telling them about your medical bills etc

Yes I agree ,but she should demand that her husband accompany her to the church and tell him to ask for the money back

Please keep us in touch with what happens over this ?

I don't like churches and their money-grabbing ways - but if your husband GAVE THE MONEY then your issue isn't with the church, it's with your husband.

It's also a matter of trust. A wife who cannot trust her husband is in a very difficult, perhaps irrepairable, possition.

Do something better...stop the check.

it's not the churches fault it's your stupid husbands. sounds like he did it before too. sounds like a deal breaker to me.

It is not the church's fault....it is your husband! Place the blame where it belongs!

If it was some Nigerian prince or if it was someone squeezing money out of an 85 year old woman, people would be on your side. Even if we pretend that the church is different than that, there's the pretense of caring for their parishioners where they should already know what problems people are having and should be caring for their sheep. If you are giving anyone a piece of your mind, I'd give it to your husband and the church at the same time. Perhaps a conversation with the pastor and your husband about your problems would be useful? I'm not advocating anger and screaming, but a candid discussion

I agree with some of the comments here. You can't solve the problem that is between you and your husband by complaining to the church. Your post indicated this is a recurring problem with him and there is probably more to the story. You either will have to have control over the finances, get counseling, or at worst consult a lawyer about your options. I truly hope you can find a solution to this problem before it gets any worst.

Betty Level 8 Jan 30, 2018

You can try to get it back... he is an adult though. You will have to sue your husband. Or just divorce him... . That may save you in the long run... good luck...

Talk to a lawyer. To me that's grounds for Divorce. Could be "Hush Money" for a "me too" fucked up.

His money his choice, asking for it back is certainly not a wise thing to do as it will create conflict between you and your husband

not his money anymore and before he gave it away, it was her money too.

Seems like the conflict is already in place....

Seems like the conflict is already in place....

@Dida the fact that she had to "find out" in the first place that a donation was made would indicate she isn't the one dealing with the books. Also she's using this site to complain about stuff so i can only assume she isn't the bread maker of the house 😛

Run bambi (forrrest) run

Church did nothing otehr than what churches do, I would be tearing your hubby a new one if I were you.

I be raising hell with your husband? Not the church unless they hire goons or leg breakers? Oh unless you husband is easily led on due to some condition? In which case get the money back.

My first thought was "I wonder how much he actually gave them? " And the next thought was "I wonder what he did with the rest of the money/"

Nothing more crooked than a christian absolved of guilt and promised heaven on payment of further offerings.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19544
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.