Agnostic.com

19 4

Got my bi-yearly jury summons and wonder how everyone else handles the oath part.

I just do not repeat the so help me god part but since I will never be seated on an actual jury, I don't have to worry about the shit storm my refusal to swear on bible would cause

Lucy_Fehr 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have never had to swear on a Bible, nor had them say God.

My experience in NYS is that there was no bible and I was asked "Do you swear or affirm?"

In the uk we have the choice to ,affirm, so you just make a solemn oath and its acceptable. You could enquire if there is that option?

And I, who apparently adhere to laws of Murphy. I got stuck on a 5 week Neonatal malpractice civil suit once and sat on grand jury once.

Ask to Attest. It's like searing in without the bible.

I have been called in several times..I have set once. they never ask for a oath. But on one issue became problem in jury room..with other jury members

I've broken the law and I'm disabled so I won't have that bullshit yippee. if I was in the dock, however, I would swear by the bible as its easier and it doesn't mean I believe it. all the people who believe in god are lying to themselves after all.

I’ve always been dismissed before any actual selection occurred.

In all my years I have never been called for jury duty. I am feeling left out. 😟

I had an occupational exemption most of my life, I don't any more and was called up for duty. I was fine with it, until they pointed out, no, not one of the 3 courts about 30 minutes from me, it was hours away. I pointed this out and they said they no longer wanted me. We don't have to swear, many people make an affirmation, non religious, most just do the bible thing as its easier. Our affidavits are mostly pre-worded with affirmations.

I don't think you are required to swear on a Bible.

They never require me to come in for selection. They probably don’t like my past.

Haven't gotten so far as an oath in ... well, decades. Back when it wasn't an issue.

But I'd say it's still not an issue. In this secular age, all the oath is, is to make you a little more afraid to lie. If you don't believe in the threat, then the way I see it, it's actually kind of putting one over on them. You take a meaningless oath, then tell the truth / do what you promise because you have actual integrity, not because you really want to flake out but for some sky wizard threatening to smite you.

No bible used here in the Erie courts.

I have gotten the letter twice in my life, and both time the DA did not want my Outspoken Skeptical self in the Jury room, dismissal without cause.

I don't refuse to take an oath on the bible. I just explain that it would be invalid since I am an Atheist. They will then swear you in to the judge/court.

Yes what he said. You don't have to swear on the Bible. It would also be meaningless if your were Jewish (for instance).

They should eliminate the oath on the bible altogether. If I was a lawyer I would argue that any oath taken on it is invalid since the entity to which the oath is addressed is not in any observable way present, and can not be proven to even exist.

I have always found ways to be rejected as a juror so I have never had to deal with it. I would hope that I would just refuse to say the oath on the book.

My criminal justice degree means the defense doesn't want me and being related to criminals means the prosecution doesn't either. But every two years I get to go sit in the pool all day.

My employer pays me and since I get up at 3am on work days, it's a nice little break

When I've served jury duty, I've just refused to say it. No one ever said anything about it.

I'm not sure why but I have only been called in once for jury duty. Guess I'm just lucky. I'm not sure how I would handle that part but it would bother me.

MsAl Level 8 Feb 1, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20271
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.