Agnostic.com

23 5

How do you prefer to be comforted?

A lot of words of comfort are influenced by religion e.g. God works in mysterious ways, everything happens for a reason, prayer for...., think positive, the devil messing with you, God never gives you more than you can handle, give thanks to God etc etc and I HATEEE them. I rather keep to myself than explain to ppl why I'm not in a good mood.

bluefairy 6 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being lavished with gifts, cash, and sexual favors usually makes me feel better.

LOL That made me snort! LOL

Lmao!!

Sounds good to me!

I'd rather be left alone. When anyone comes at me with their religious bullshit, I just want
them to go away.

I prefer to just be left alone to work things out myself.

I agree that being by myself is the best solution for me and I know that "this too will pass".

Physical affection. Kind words. Someone(s) to be with. @AMGT 's post on 'Facing Pain' had some good stuff in it. But getting what @LukeJWalker wants couldn't hurt!

I like to be left alone with a pizza and a good pen to write it all out with.

Right now, Melody and I are being comforted on account of the loss of of our dog by people dropping in and coming over with Nora's dog friends. Kind of like sitting Shiva, which has it's own grief-relieving effects without respect to any religious aspects of the process.

under most circumstances, beer and bullshit help a lot

Low light, good food, a fire in the fireplace, and maybe some wine, all served with honest discussion and light humor

Cover me in puppies & I am comforted. Nothing else seems to work.

I like to be home alone watching my favorites on Netflix with several different kinds of tasty foods, with a few kind words coming from texts, calls, voicemails, emails.

Chocolate and the ability to hunker down in my bed and take a nap

haha my favourite type of comfort!! lol

Sitting on home and listening to some awesome metal works pretty good. Binging Netflix also helps.

If I happen to have company, then back scratches are the absolute best.

I just want to be held and allowed to cry if I need to. That's all.

yes a good cry always helps!!

Yep. I figured out a while ago that tears are made for cleansing!

My ex had the best way of all to comfort me..he insisted on giving me two-hour foot rubs every evening, and would also snuggle with me.
He is certified in foot and face massage.
But in all fairness, he emailed me last year that he plans to transition to nonbinary female, so maybe it was female tenderness after all?

Hahaha!

Someone making me a coffee is enough for me.

I want to be left alone. My cat is allowed to climb into my lap for a cuddle.

I believe I had been self sufficient until now.

With a hug and a kiss.

Sex is good. Solitude. A funny movie. Bourbon. Flirting. Buying something for someone.

When someone says, in effect, 'let me give you comfort' then THEY are making the decision about the nature of the comfort they are prepared to give. Unless they happen to know you REALLY well - know how you respond and precisely what is upsetting you - their idea of the comfort you need is unlikely to match what you really DO need.

In many ways the best comfort comes from someone who says, "Hey - if there's anything I can do, let me know. If not, I'll leave you in peace with your own thoughts."

Yes you're right I totally agree but it seems as though my own friends and family don't know me well enough. I actually had to explain to a few ppl their method of comfort don't work for me. At least they leave me alone instead feeding me empty words.

I'm the same way but unfortunately I have friends and family that can't seem to give me my alone time.

Totally depends on the situation. Sometimes leave me alone, sometimes have a conversation with me about something totally different so that I am distracted. Sometimes a hug really helps, other times touching me in any way is a bad idea. Sometimes explain what happened (only if I don't already know), sometimes affirm that I've got this, sometimes offer actual practical help (so long as you really mean it - not actually following through is worse than not offering in the first place). I'll probably ask for what I need, unless it is practical assistance, which I may be a bit shy about. When I say what I need though, don't tell me I'm wrong and do the exact opposite.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20393
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.