Agnostic.com

8 0

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When considering the topic of mixing politics with religion, I'm often reminded of the statement by Arizona Republican Senator (and presidential candidate in 1964), Barry Goldwater, who said in 1994:
"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
And earlier, he prophetically bemoaned the influence of religious organizations on his party:
"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”
Unfortunately, we don't appear to have many Barry Goldwaters in the GOP today.

so did Karl Marx

In the book One Nation Under God, Kruse tells the story about a young Billy Graham visiting president Truman in the White House. When he left, Truman told his staff "Don't ever let that SOB in here again." I guess he saw through him.

Until it is in your interest to do so. (IMHO)

Right… there are photos of Billy Boy kissing the freshly elected asses of more US presidents than I can remember! Wasn’t he ‘Nixon’s Spiritual Advisor?’ ...That POS.. his ‘warning’ more likely reflected his fear that ‘the Reverend Foulmouth (as my mother called him)’ was moving in on his political turf… It’s nothing but a power grab for these assholes, as religion ultimately reflects..

Varn Level 8 Feb 2, 2018

Billy was an honorable man. His son Franklin is dangerous demagogue -- a power=hungry charlatan.

I agree, I think Billy was sincere if deluded. I think Franklin is just in it for the money and power.

Somebody should show this to his son Franklin who is a complete Republican ahole.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

This is exactly what happened. Ol Billy got this one spot on!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20427
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.