Agnostic.com

27 12

LINK Scientists Are Urging You To Never Make Your Bed Again - Higher Perspective

Another excuse not to make my bed in the mornings! lol

ballou 8 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never feel alone again in bed ....

Exactly. I suspect some people did not click on the video. 😀

Yeah, my OCD says "fuck off" to the scientists.

You don't have to tell me twice! Or once, for that matter. Ha!

Again? When did I ever make it? ?

Right? I basically turn mine into a nest every night. Why bother making it every day? I had 4 years of that in the army!

My own asthma was pretty bloody bad until I read about the self-same article some 7 years ago, now I only make my bed completely when I change the bedding and my asthma has reduced in severity to quite a noticeable lower level and I even include vacuuming the mattress and bed base once per month, letting sunlight in through the window and onto my unmade bed as well.
I'd definitely advocate for not making your bed every morning given the results I've experienced plus adding a dusting of ordinary talcum powder over your carpets after vacuuming as well since that seems to be quite good at controlling the dust mites present in every home no matter strict and thorough you are at cleaning it.

Just curious because I have a kid with asthma, do you just leave the blankets in a pile wherever they were when you got up in the morning? Do you do something to air out your blankets?

@Meili Yes, I leave the bedding ( sheets and blankets) where it lays when I get up in the morning, BUT I change and wash the sheets on a weekly basis, do NOT use a clothes dryer, rather prefer to hang the laundry on the clothes line and let it dry in sun since U.V. rays from sunlight also Dust Mites, etc, where clothes dryers do not. Blankets are also laundered at approx. intervals of 4 weeks and the same is done with them.
When summer comes around, here in Outback Australia, it is far too hot at nights for blankets so they get an extra laundering and drying then are packed away fresh, new large plastic bags, sealed up and put in storage in a cupboard until winter comes around again.

@Triphid Looks like I'm making my nbed the right way. My daughter has about ten different blankets and they are all beloved to her. They get washed regularly because they get dragged through all kinds of stuff. But I haven't been as dutiful about the sheets. With my other kids I washed whenever they peed the bed, so they got cleaned regularly but this kid never pees the bed. 😀

Works for me!!

This totally works for me. How liberating!

You don't miss what you got , till it's gone .....

Way ahead of you lol. Other things that are unnecessary wastes of time that Ive eliminated: matching/folding socks (bought all 1 or 2 kinds max), and folding or hanging up anything other than dress clothes. I get mostly shirts and pants that won't hold wrinkles and just live out of the dryer. Also a balding man wasting time and money on haircuts and shampoo is silly. Shave it off and showers take 2-5 mins max.

Dawkins agrees on the socks! Haven't you seen him wearing mismatched socks? Just pulls two out of the drawer...those are the socks for the day.

@RPardoe lol yeah I mean mine will match, i just get all one kind so I don't have to sort em. Might be variations of a different colored stripe on em but even 4 colors are quick enough to grab a couple that match without pre sorting them. And if they don't match still, who cares lol. Us geniuses have bigger fish to fry. ?

Doesn't seem that surprising - doesn't everyone "air" out the sheets when they get "moist and humid" or at least change them frequently?

I change my sheets every two weeks.

I change them once a week.

It certainly sounds good. Another excuse to support my lax housekeeping standards.

Always gratifying to have science catch up and validate what I've known all along. If mom could see this now.

When I was little my mom taught me to make my bed one day. I asked her why I should do it, when I'm just going to mess it up the next night. I forgot what her answer was, but let's just say I was not convinced, and I've never heard any reason beyond "it looks nice". Well... I don't have dozens of guests coming into my bedroom, and the ones who are coming in do not care! Since moving out, I've never done it and never will!

I learned about this years ago. I do have a reaction to these critters in that dust mites interfere with my sinuses. I have a regime in using natural things like wool carpets, Latex mattress pad, and dust mite covers for everything. Every couple of weeks everything gets vacuumed (including the curtains) and washed and I iron the sheets and put the used ones in an airtight plastic bag. The bed is never made and I leave the door closed. All this work has really helped.

OMG!! I am so ahead of the times!! Making the bed is very low priority for me, always has been. When I had hot flashes I had good reason to leave the bed open, it had to dry out. Now I realize I was killing dust mites too! Wow, I will keep up my healthy habit!

But maybe the heat and moisture from the flashes are what attract them.
it has happened that all of a sudden the covers flew off and my bed partner was having her 'flash'. She would even fan herself while I was getting colder.

@JackPedigo oh yes, I still sleep with the ceiling fan going year round. And when I didn't have a ceiling fan I used a box fan. I still have occasional hot flashes and I've been through the change for over 9 years.

@HippieChick58 I could say I don't understand but at one time I started taking Niacin to try and lower my then high cholesterol. I would take some as I was going out the door on a cold day. Wow, I can't imagine having to deal with this on an ongoing basis.

When I got divorced I promised myself that I wouldn't turn into a slob. So making the bed every morning and washing the linens regularly has become essential!

Do not care what the scientists say - Mom said make your bed & I have been doing that every single day since I was 5. I love pulling back the covers at night and everything is nice, smooth & tight - perfection!

almost never do

Thank you! ❤

Scientists are no different from the rest of us. Just looking for an excuse to be lazy.

I let my sheets air out before the bed gets made. If you don’t at least cover them they will get dusty and I hate the smell of dusty sheets.

@kltuckmn How do they get dusty? Don't you wash them?

I like it!

When this appeared on my Facebook feed three stories up was a report on why scientists say you should regularly clean your bedsheets

Great.

Yes!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:206354
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.