Agnostic.com

21 7

Why do so many people choose not to upload a profile pic?
In my younger days I wouldn't due to self-image issues. Since turning 50, however, I no longer give a rat's ass. 🙂
Genuinely curious, since I like to see who I'm talking to.

ncfroggirl 4 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When someone contacts me to chat, my response is always: no photo, no chat. I want to see who I am chatting with and I want them to see me.
ETA: Of course I am very handsome and desirable and a pleasure to look at.

@Donotbelieve was just being humorous but I thank you very much.

I myself know I am not exactly a 10. But I am 32 and don't need to be a pretty boy to feel validated.

Some people arn't fortunate enough to have a pic to upload.

Paranoia. My brother was murdered and according to my father, I was also a target..
The perp died in prison a number of years ago so I went back to my real name, moved back to the hometown and try to not be paranoid.

Just cuz you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you

Poor self image

My divorce lawyer says I shouldn't even be on the Internet. I had t take it down a notch.

I'm curious of the lawyers thought process there. The internet is an integral part of people's lives in this age of technology.

@AdorkableMe Actually, they're terrified we will say too much, say something stupid, or incriminate ourselves. This can be used as evidence against us in a court of law.

@UrsiMajor Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks for explaining! ????

Really interesting comments. I hadn't considered the divorce aspect. I can relate to the technologically challenged, though... my first few weeks on here my pic was sideways!

I really am a Crow....lol

You know how Medusa's eyes used to turn whoever looked into them to stone. My picture might turn you guys to glass and you can get shattered easily and I like you guys. Lol

I don’t have many pictures of myself and when I tried, it didn’t work.

Off the top of my head is guess

1. They are ugly, or think they are and don't want to be judged.
  2. They are handsome/ beautiful and want to make sure someone is interested in them for more than their body/face.
  3. They have something to hide.
  4. They want to troll people.
  5. They don't have a pic.
  6. They don't want to upload a pic.

I think that's about it...

Everyone has their reasons. Some of those reasons make sense. Some don't. As for myself, I have never been one to take or have pictures taken of myself, so those that exist were literally all taken when I was too young to resist or taken without my knowledge. The head shot of me that I post with this comment represents the only picture ever taken deliberately and it was only done because my publisher insisted on it. The other photo is my wife and I at my youngest daughters graduation where she received her Master's. That was one cool day for me. My profile pic (an actual profile) was taken at a conference for Science Fiction vs Science Fact.

As for posting it, I have never given a diddly squat what anyone thought of me, nor do I get intimidated easily (there are stories about that) by anyone over anything. Perhaps that's one of my faults, but it has served me well over the years. My real name is what I use in my writing and everywhere else but here (there's a story there too). My picture is real and almost recent (10 years at this writing), and my location is no secret. I'm the only person in town with my name and I'm listed in the phone book. No effort needed to find me.

Different people, different reasons. Many wish to remain anonymous - too easy to track folks down online.

In this week's paper... made me laugh.

I hate my pics and I am closing in on 60! I’ve never been photogenic.

Kudos to you

I agree, I like people to see who I am. I can only assume avatars with no photos, are the same person with multiple accounts.

And a pretty lady you are...

I like to keep a low profile, many reasons. I have one on file that no-one from my past would recognise - I hope.

I've had restraining orders twice in my life. I don't need to post pictures of myself to see if some crazed ex patient still wants to kill me.

Welcome to our little place and may you find peace, friendship, joy and happiness in our little home. Just be yourself. I live without fear. And good for you not to give a rat's ass. There may be some good reason to some like a husband or a wife or a divorce process. I live worry free, what is the worst that could happen to me? jesus showing up at my door with my mug shot taken from here?

I chose Calimero not because I think the world is dishonest, but because I realize that I'm just a small gear wheel in the machine of humanity. To realize over and over again that a little modesty is not so bad. I gave my real name though.

Gert Level 7 Feb 3, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20673
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.