Agnostic.com

33 7

Any Reggae Recommendations?

Would love some Reggae recommendations from the 70's to 90's. Much appreciated.

JurassicT4 6 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The first big international reggae hit; the soundtrack from 'The Harder They Come'

Steel Pulse.

I second Steel Pulse

I'll third that! Steel Pulse is awesome and very underrated!

Yellowman! Nobody move, nobody gets hurt.

Saw him Reggae Sunsplash tour 88?

Lol good pick, good thing I already picked this one up like a month ago, thanks

@beerkrump Give it to me one time... HUNH. Give it to me two time.. HUNH HUNH. Give it to me three time...HUNH HUNH HUNH ... ?

@zeuser
I used to work for the food service company behind Bill Graham Presents in the Bay area from 88 to 91. Saw more shows than I can remember, but Sunsplash shows at the Greek were amazing.

@beerkrump Whoa! Now that is a treasure trove of musical memories that money simply can't buy!

SOJA

Came on to the scene later than the 80's, but a great reggae band none the less....

I was on top of things through the early 90s, then become obsessed with other genres. Thanks for the rec!

You want some old reggae, check out Desmond Dekker's "Isrealites". First reggae song to hit the charts in the US.

I know, double posting. However, check out Burning Spear. Maybe the best 80's reggae.

Nonsense lol. You can keep them coming. I'm lacking in the Reggae department in comparison to my other favorite genres. This is due to the fact I wasn't into music like that when I was younger. So for the longest time I grew up thinking Dancehall and Reggae Fusion was Reggae.

Love Burning Spear, but he was also hot in the 70s.

Toots and the Maytals. You probably already know this. But I'm contributing. ?

No never heard of them, I'll check them out, thanks

@JurassicT4 I got to meet Toots Hibbert backstage when I-Tal, an Ohio band, opened for them. One of the guys in I-Tal was an old childhood friend of Toots.

Roots reggae!

Burning spear, Ini Kamozi, Black Uhuru, Steel Pulse . . .

Forgot all about this artist Eke A Mouse from 1981. This is ‘Wha Do Dem’

A lot of great suggestions
Black Uhuru is hands down my goto reggae band

Some really great suggestions on here!

Still, I must confess to being a little surprised. At first glance, it looks like some real obvious people got missed. How is this not in there?!

Shaggy...old school but he's great and touring with Sting great show I hear. The got an album too...

Don't overlook Ska!

Genre? No I'm good lol.

@PalacinkyPDX I've heard that Rocksteady was created or become popular one summer when the weather was too hot to dance to ska.

@ailurophile true story. And the steel drum was invented from fuel barrels and waste dumped on their island. Necessity had a bunch of groovy invention babies all over the place down there.

@PalacinkyPDX yup, not a fan of that, prefer Rocksteady.

I've always loved Steel Pulse!

Steel Pulse - Blues Dance Raid

easy dub allstars

Inner Circle is good (Bad Boys), Ini Kamoze, any of the Marleys, Bob and the Wailers, all his children, Steel Pulse, UB40, several.

@Gooniesnvrdie Yeah, some of their stuff is not so great. They have a couple of tunes I like.

@PalacinkyPDX Oh, c'mon.... I don't know what they're doing now, but they had a diverse line-up when they got started. 🙂

@Gooniesnvrdie lol, gotta agree

Ooh, ooh.

Peter Tosh!

His live album is a must!

I'm glad you're around for this topic lol.

@JurassicT4 No problem. Been a music junkie since I was six and heard Paul Simon's "Me and Julio."

Not sure of your depth, but one of the fathers of reggae that doesn't get the props he should is Jimmy Cliff. During the 70's, in Jamaica, he out played Marley.

Sounds cool, will check it, thanks

from an unlikely-seeming source, check out el rayo x and mr dave by david lindley. it's not all reggae. quite a bit of it is.

some samples:

g

Interesting, thanks

@JurassicT4 if you can ever get to see him live, do so. he can play anything with strings and i think a few things without, too! you may know him as the violinist who played most often with jackson browne.

g

My favorite reggae song.

Countryman album (soundtrack of the film of the same name) will give you a good mixture and hopefully a reason to explore more. ?

1970’s Reggae here. A couple of bits, Dave and Ansil Collins and Harry J Allstars. Also look out for Desmond Delkker and The Aces, especially The Israelites. Trojan records is the place to go to for the 69-70 era reggae.

A great sampler of the time is Reggae Chartbusters on the Trojan label if you can find it.

Good luck with your search

Thanks for the Tony Blackburn flashback 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:207410
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.