Agnostic.com

25 5

I don't understand this: How is it I have been single for 1 year and 9 months, and have not been asked out but once? I mean, do I intimidate men? I've become more aesthetic in the last year. When I go out, I dress in clean, nice, and comfortable clothing. It's mostly sunny outside, so I wear my sunglasses. I never mention god or say anything that would indicate that I'm an atheist. I do wear my headphones on when I'm out. I need background noise mostly to keep me focused. I normally use my intellectual's vocabulary when I'm out, if I need to. It's the way I speak everywhere now. I turn heads at the gym, but no one except women talk to me. Men like to stare at me when I'm out at Wal-Mart. I don't usually talk to people unless they initiate the conversation first. I basically mind my own business. When someone does speak to me, I'm very polite and nice. I always say please and thank you. What am I doing wrong? Online dating is for desperate people, the dating apps I mean. Pedophiles all over. I met my sex offender ex on POF. I recently tried another dating app, then uninstalled the app. My ex found me immediately on there. With just having recently blocked him, I'm too scared to even try again. Tomorrow if I'm not called in to work, I might take a ride to the library to meet smart men. The homeless also fill the place up, because the shelter is right there. They have to out of the shelter in the daytime every day. So they are always in the library in the Winter time. I also look 10 years younger than my age. Can anyone give me any tips on what else I can do? Thanks.

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ok, here goes...

You only have so many hours in a day, days in week, and--not to be morbid--years left in your life. Fretting about the future will do you no good; I'm a professional fretter and I'm fully qualified to tell you it's a complete waste of time. Quality of life goes way up when you drop that stuff.

The better investment is to spend your time developing yourself: gym, hobbies, work, education, whatever matters to you, makes your little heart sing, makes you more you. (Sounds like you're doing at least some of that already.) Develop your skillset, whatever it is. Explore your interests. Learn. Accomplish goals. Because you love it, and it's good for you. You'll have fun, you'll grow, and you'll like yourself more.

Drop the concern about attracting a mate, and focus on making yourself more attractive to yourself. If you enjoy reading nerdy fantasy novels (for example), drop the trepidation "I'll never get a boyfriend that way"--and read the hell out of some nerdy fantasy novels. Some fine day, you'll be in the right place, at the right time, and find yourself in an opportune conversation, and you'll slay because of your experience, fund of knowledge, confidence, and passion. Confidence, mastery, and people enjoying themselves are universally attractive.

The insurance policy: even if you never find Mr. Right, you'll have spent your life enjoying yourself, doing stuff that matters to you.

That's Phase I. Phase II is forget about waiting for someone to approach you, and take the initiative--if and when you come across someone that intrigues you. You know you're ready for Phase II when (the thought of) rejection doesn't rock your boat or dampen your spirits.

TL;DR: Do you, and ask for what you want.

Thanks. I want to watch, "Cosmos: Space Odyssey" soon. Maybe I will. I have not been actively seeking anyone either.

@josh_karpf I love horror movies as well. I need to get further in my video games tbh.

@Josh_Karpf Well done. An excellent addendum.

Yes...excellent advice

No one asks me out either, in fact I wasn't very popular in my twenties either. The moment I stopped looking for a date and just decided to"do me" and genuinely enjoy it, people suddenly got interested. Go figure. As some already suggested, choose an activity you have always wanted to try, meet people there just for the sake of company and watch it unravel. I asked my husband out on the first date by the way😉

March for Science in the summer. I'll go to that. Along with the Pride Festival.

@Sarahroo29 These are great things to attend!!! I hope you enjoy yourself !

@Blizzard Summer though is a little longer to wait.

@Sarahroo29 I am sure you can do something else until then.

@Blizzard Today I'll go to Wal-Mart without my headphones on. I'm friendly to a lot of people.

I'm in the same boat, lady, and I even ask guys out and still get rejected I don't think dating apps are for desperate people, I'm on dating apps and if I were desperate I would catch the first thing that bites, but I have standards and therefore am willing to be patient to wait for the right match, It's a numbers game, put yourself out there and you'll eventually meet a great match.

Thanks. The a-hole below was rude af.

My sister met her husband through a dating app.. I actually like him. So not all dating app. experiences are awful.

@RavenCT My ex will find me on the apps. I just blocked him.

Don't wait to be asked out, women can ask also. I f there is a nice guy and you know he is single, ask him out for coffee.

1. Take off the headphones, it is like wearing a sign saying "i'm busy right now", only a complete dolt would interrupt whatever you are listening to! And I assume you do not want a complete dolt for a date?
  2. After you ditch the headphones, you will be able to strike up conversations with lots of people.....old people may have sons, grandsons, nephews to introduce you to. Kids may have older brothers, or divorced dads. Etc etc etc.

Okay, thanks.

I agree with the person who suggested joining some sort of activity - an art class, a yoga class, a class at your gym? If people are engaged in the same activities you are interested in - there's more of a chance of compatibility. - And use a taxi service/lyft/whatever to meet someone safely and not on your turf should you progress to a meet up. Good luck! And know sometimes it takes time.

With my work always scheduling me, it's hard to join groups near me.

You're in Colorado Springs- one of the scariest places in the country. Saw an "Obama is a communist" billboard there. You don't want to meet someone in a bar probably... Dating alcoholics is not a good idea. So, when and if I go back into the dating pool, I'm going to consider volunteer work. Ok, volunteer work where I can't crank it out from my computer at home. Yeah talking to and meeting new people is going to suck. Democratic clubs, rescue animal clubs. You are an artist? There are probably artsy clubs to join nearby? Manitou Springs is pretty cool.. They have to have some art classes - maybe some you could even teach?

I draw a lot. Or used to.

Go to events you like. Like my friends (going on 10 years) met at a shooting range. It took her 3 months to get up the courage to go alone and do what she loves, and then she met some one in the same head space. I met mine in the army but it was our love of writing and drawing that got us talking. Another of my friends were brought together by magic the gathering.

In the Denver area there is a thing for single people to go on adventures as groups, it's called "Events and Adventures". Try something like that, and good luck!

I'm not allowed to ever drive due to my eyesight being so bad.

@Sarahroo29 that is too bad

@Sarahroo29 I didn't notice where you are in the world but I would poke around your town for interesting things. The library idea is a good start but a lecture is a bit more stimulating and people are there to see and share the experience. Which means more people are willing to talk. For an example. Me, personally, go to the library to be alone with the books. But I am also very weird.

Keep your head up and keep being you 🙂 you'll find some one!

@Sarahroo29 I've had some good experiences with Lyft....

@UrsiMajor The city bus will get me to the library.

Perhaps you should do the asking. In today's world it's not a faux pas for the woman to be the instigator. Best of luck.

I'm not interested in anyone though. I see a lot of couples. The ones I sometimes am interested in, they will talk to me a little, then they end up being from out of town or taken.

@Sarahroo29 Do you live in a rural area or do you have limited social circles? Sounds like you need to find a way to branch out. Have you tried the Meet Up app? Its a good way to meet people.

@RoboGraham I did try it with an old atheist group. The app. Transportation is a big problem. Along with working.

You might try asking a man you’re interested in out instead of waiting to be asked.

I'm not interested in anyone yet.

You could be unconsciously projecting your own disinterest or ambivalence toward the men you come in contact with over the course of your daily life.

@PhoebeCat There is this one guy at the gym... He seems to preoccupied to talk. I get shy.

Preachin' to the choir. Been single for 2 years, but I've given up looking.

I've been single for twice as long.

The reason is nobody is prepared to handle how awesome you are. They don't want to be shown up.

Break the mold some; if you find someone attractive you should ask them out.

They are out of my league though.

So? Go for it anyway! Sometimes it works.

@GrantSmith I agree. Lots of lots opportunities simply by telling yourself, "aw, he/she wouldn't be interested in someone like me"

Its been my experience that when you hunt a relationship you won't find it.havent you ever notice that nobody wants a man till somebody else already has him? I suspect its the same for you if your single people wonder why and they shy away.as soon as you get a boyfriend you will have suitors climbing out of the walls. human beings are really good and being dense

Idk, maybe you do the asking? May be something you’re projecting, strength, intimidation, who knows? May be random events, too.

I think it is the locale.

@sarahjustme No, I just moved to this area of town. It's called, The Garden Of The Gods. Kind of a rich neighborhood.

Nice name.

Might as well named it The Tower of Babel White Peoples' Estates.

I wish I knew, then I'd have the answer to my own dating scene.

I absolutely do agree with everyone that has said, "lose the headphones", they're right, they make you unapproachable.
Come up to Denver, I live right by the Bluebird, Ogden, & Fillmore theatres, I'll take you to a concert (I think you're beautiful and can't personally see why anyone wouldn't want to ask you out). The Springs is not the coolest place, you should be hanging in Denver where the people are much more friendly and liberal and the music scene kicks ass.

I'm not mobile.

I actually have a good article about your predicament. Most men will not approach you. Or any woman. There is a certain percentage who approach most women they are attracted to...but most will not for various reasons. I'm looking for the article. I'd be interested in what others think of this and why they don't approach women that interest them....

I want to read it. Thanks.

There are some good comments and advice on your post but I also remember some things you've previously said on this site. You have had some extremely bad things happen to you including intimate, physical betrayal. Are you sure you're ready? If not you may be putting off a vibe that is not welcoming. Definitely not saying that something is wrong with you but maybe there's some more stuff to work through? I've said this to a lot of folks but there might be some groups for non-believers/skeptics on Meetup you could try. It does sound like you're getting good at reading people enough to figure out who to avoid. I think you've said you're seeing a therapist? What do they say? Take care.

Do you like to dance at live shows? If so, here is my advice... Get yourself an Audio book version of that old classic, How to Win Friends and Influence People. Listen to it on your headphones, study it some. Then on your nights off, go to some really groov'n live rock shows, get totally absorbed in the music (without those headphones), forget about anyone else there and just dance your ass off for you! Between songs ask the person who has been dancing up next to you if he/she wants to talk. Which they will. Employ a little of the basic principles from 'how to win friends and influence people', and you will get dates if you want them. Just make sure you take Uber home. Never leave a night club with a guy you just met.
I also do think that organization "It's Just Lunch" might work well for you. If you have the $$$. Either way, I'd probably skip the library for the homeless.

I'm not looking for a homeless man. I'll go back to the gym.perhaps. i can't dance. I have 2 left feet.

@Sarahroo29 me too! Once in a while I can find a rhythm.

@MrLink I will go to Wal-Mart today instead. I feel indolent. No headphones on of course. I want to get myself another bday gift. A movie. Today was payday and I can spend a small amount for a gift
I'm saving mostly.

@Sarahroo29. Happy Late Birthday! I love movie night. What kind of movies do you like?

@MrLink horror. My birthday is next week.

@Sarahroo29. Oh sweet. Happy EARLY Birthday! Will you be going for Jigsaw?

Have you by chance seen Bone Tomahawk? I am intrigued by that film. Have not seen it yet.

@MrLink I ordered, "Mother!" For $7.85 new.

@Sarahroo29 oh I heard that's good

Because the world is a horribly unfair place, and only through scrabbling in the muck can we possibly find our diamonds in the rough!

Sarah If I lived in Colorado, I would ask you out in a minute. I love intelligent women. For me it is a great turn on. My main problem is that I don't travel in the same circles as they do, and I am still a little shy. I didn't have a lot of confidence with women when I was younger, and now that I am older and wiser, it seems they don't want me because I am not a rich, young handsome stud, and as the song says "melt a young girls heart with his pout". I am not saying I want a young girl, but most of the women my age and a little younger in my area at least spend a lot of their time worshiping a fairy tail or chasing after their youth with some boy toy, or they are chasing the golden ticket to a life of ease. Keep searching, you will find someone to love. I am always here for you, my friend.

Unfortunately, you happen to live too far from me and we are, as they say, geographically undesirable and inconvenient.

Okay.

I absolutely do agree with everyone that has said, "lose the headphones", they're right, they make you unapproachable.
Come up to Denver, I live right by the Bluebird, Ogden, & Fillmore theatres, I'll take you to a concert (I think you're beautiful and can't personally see why anyone wouldn't want to ask you out). The Springs is not the coolest place, you should be hanging in Denver where the people are much more friendly and liberal and the music scene kicks ass.

For one and obvious reason thusly you have a complaining and dwelling issue. It is what it is.

Being intellectual also has a tendency to make us colder when we probably should not be. If you are overly facts before feels you may go through the cycle I go through when I like someone and completely lose your fucking marbles because your feels are still in there infancy and when they take control oy vey all bets are off. That tends to creep people out.

Then there is the whole your ideology, are you a SJW if so that equals I am not playing with the possibility of being falsely accused of rape and that is also part of it now even if you are not a SJW people have far more fear towards women due to them for all we know the next woman we end up with will become the new mattress girl society favors women over men. Then there is the are you vegan bit where vegans swear they never speak of their vegan ways but it is like running into a bloody religious person trying to convert you to veganism.

Personality, ideology, and brains play a key role plus looks. A person like me prefers smarts but if you are hideous I will notice partially due to me being an artist I pay attention to details way more than others I notice things I shouldn't sometimes good sometimes bad.

Malus Level 4 Feb 4, 2018

I'm not vegan. Is an SJW a social justice warrior? So you're implying no one asks me out because I'm hideous?

I don't talk to people in public to complain. I don't complain much unless I feel the need.

I thought most agnostics/atheists were nice and uplifting. I was now just refuted. Thanks for feeding my inferiority complex. Now I won't even bother going out. You're so kind hearted.

and the last one proved my point. You are easily defeated no one wants that. Did I say you were hideous I have yet to pay attention to your profile pic. Your personality is lacking you are a Debby downer and from my years of being one, I know no one likes it. It is a bitch to get over truly but if you try you can. Let's also point to your assumption issue it makes an ass out of you and me you assumed I said you were hideous all I ever did was point out many factors in such a situation, that leads to you being a failure in logic and running with what you wanted to. You want to hate yourself and see yourself negatively so if someone says something that you agree with be it literally or as an example, you will accept it thus proving the other point being a Debby downer on yourself thus lead to a cycle of I feel like I suck, I am ugly, I am this that and the other the typical female stupidity that occurs when a woman has been hurt a few times over. You want to know a secret I learned Carpe Diem fuck this shit of moping about, and what ifs dive in head first if you crash and burn at least you learn. Think about it this way death does not show up and go oh you made yourself suffer so here is a voucher you get another ten years. Death takes, Time waits for no one, all will disappear in the end do you wish to go down feeling bad for yourself or fighting. I am a hard-headed asshat I know what I am choosing.

You know, there's a difference between venting and complaining. There was no need for you to have been so harsh.
For some people that are on this site, this is their only place to vent, keep that in mind before you decide to destroy someone else.
We are supportive and kind towards each other.
And, don't destroy each other. I would say welcome, but I am not impressed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21103
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.