Agnostic.com

31 6

Do you remember where you were when the Challenger exploded?

Watching the Falcon Heavy rocket lift off today, I recalled the worst space disaster in my lifetime. I was working at a mall store in Yuma, AZ when the Challenger was launched. I walked across the mall to the Footlocker athletic shoe store to watch. It was horrifying. If you aren't old enough to remember it, you might not want to even read the comments here. It was a brutal day for the space program.

Duke 8 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1st grade. They had brought a TV for us to watch. All three 1st grade classes filled our tiny classroom.
It was a shock to everyone. The teacher left the room. Seems she was gone quite awhile. It was apparent she was crying when she returned.

In college. I was in the lobby all by myself watching TV.

Yes I do. I was in France staying at a relatives house and she started crying watching the news. She could only point at the tv. Very bad day.

I don't remember a phone number I have had for 5 YEARS! So that would be a no.

Yep. Had just gotten home from school. Watched it happen live on CNN, and went to call a friend. The phone rang, and he was calling me to asked if I had seen what had just happened. Stared at the tv for a few hours after that, probably in some form of shock

I was watching it on TV. It took forever (it seemed at the time) to realize exactly what happened. It was devastating. I thought nothing would ever affect me like that again...then 9-11 happened. There are no words that can describe the loss.

I was in the 2nd grade and got home from school to find out my grandmother had died almost at the same time. My aunt and cousins were at the launch and found out soon after when they called home.

MsAl Level 8 Feb 7, 2018

I was in kindergarten. I remember it though.

Marc Level 4 Feb 7, 2018

I remember. I was watching on TV. I kept thinking: There's a thing that will have blasted them out of there, surely. They must still be alive, they must have some way of parachuting down. It can't be as bad as it looks.

January 1986. I remember was working at an office in NYC, filing papers. Someone had music playing on a radio and it was interrupted by breaking news. We scrambled to find a TV.

Social studies class at St Bernard's Academy for Girls watching it on TV.

I was on maternity leave, pregnant overdue with my first son in bed watching tv. It was really sad, and I could never get excited about space programs ever again.

It was the day I was hired for my first real job. I was an hourly intern at a tech/research firm. My boss came into my office looking really grime. He handed me the letter saying I had been hired full time as a salaried employee and then said that the Challenger had exploded.

It was one of those weird days where things were both really good and really bad at once.

Yes ... I think so. Interestingly enough, at least to science nerds like myself, a psych professor distributed questionaires to all his first year students that day asking them to describe exactly where they were, who they were with, what they were doing etc when they heard the news. Then a couple years later gave them all the exact same questionaire. And it turns out so called "flashbulb" memories are no more accurate than other memories. A little surprising, but memory is memory, so not really.

I remember the joke that followed.... " You can get 7up in a can "

That's awful but I have one too...

"Why didn't Christa McAuliffe (the teacher astronaut) shower before her shuttle flight?"

Will give riddle answer on demand.

Ouch.

Why?@marmot84

@DelilahJones33 Because she knew she was going to wash up on shore later.

I have no shame in laughter@marmot84

I was homeschooling my two kids, and we were excitedly following the shuttle story about the civilian teacher going into space, watching the shuttle launch live.

One camera stayed on Christa McAuliffe's parents. Their faces continued beaming with pride even after the explosion because the launch announcer continued giving atmospheric readings, unaware of what had happened at first.
It was horrifying watching it dawn on Christa's parents that their daughter was gone.

I felt traumatized, but I wasn't the only one-a Sesame Street crew was filming the shuttle launch for the show and their reaction was even more horrified.

I was two years old and living very close to where it happened. I was told (I'm not sure how true it is) that debris from one of the fuel tanks landed in my sandbox.

yes and can still see that image

I was in 2nd grade. The whole school piled outside to see the Challenger go up.(this was in Florida) most of the kids didn't understand what we saw. Some of the teachers started crying and we were all hurried inside. I didn't understand it until my mother explained what happened when I got home.

so sad

Yes, I came back the previous day from a holiday in China. Going to China was considered very adventurous back then. The Challenger was horrifying. Over the years I have researched this event very closely. The real story of NASA's incompetence, arrogance, lack of transparency, thwarting of efforts to reveal their appalling procedures, the actual fate of the crew - contrary to NASA's efforts to conceal it - is also horrifying. When not motivated by the science, the evidence, and the truth, this is what happens. You would think NASA would be a role model, but it's anything but. The reports and studies show it. Also, the complexity of what happened - the cold, O rings, slag from the solid fuel boosters, and the Gulf Stream gusts that hit the orbiter just seconds before the explosion and contributing to the cause, only fully realised a few years ago by researchers, make it a very complex story. Fate was truly against those poor astronauts.

I was only 7 years old, but I remember being at a school assembly and we were all watching.

Yes. I was at a large sporting goods store, buying bait to feed my reptile pets. The place was huge and largely empty. A clerk had the radio on. The newscaster sounded upset and kept mentioning "the vehicle". It was horrible. There was so much excitement around the first civilian going into space... A very, very tragic day.

Zster Level 8 Feb 7, 2018

I was about four months into a new teaching job in Korea, and by the time it reached the newspapers there, the news was already a day or two old. It made me sad to read, but I was busy with teaching and adapting to a very different culture.

No I don't remember.... but I do remember. The twin towers comming down. I expected an atom bomb to happen from that. Or we should own that country...

I remember 9/11 all too well, too. I don't live too far from NYC, so I also saw the towers burning, and I know some people who lived in worked in the area who are still dealing with trauma.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21741
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.