Agnostic.com

18 4

Ouija boards

Have any of you ever used them? Any experiences regarding them worth mentioning?

Philosoraptor 4 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Played with this as a kid. I use to get into fights over this stupid game with my cousins.

"You're moving the planchette yourself!"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes you are!"

Then the game would go flying across the room. Stupid game..

Yes, and no. It's a toy.

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 9, 2018

Parker Bros.. I have one in my basement. Got it as a teen.

Had fun with it a few times.

The weirdest experience I ever had was using a board with a friend where we both knew a lot of secrets about each other. That crap will come out on the board. (It's all power of suggestion). People don't KNOW they are manipulating the placard - but they are.

Just my 2 cents.

I believe that in the unlikely event that demonic entities actually exist, they would probably not choose to express themselves through a board game.

They use "Cards Against Humanity" instead.

Myself no. My atheist mother though is traumatized.

She experienced demonic activity after using one with her friends and they threw it away. 5 years later it showed up in her friends house, they then cut it up and burned it.

5 years after that it showed up on my mother's porch, singed and glued back together.

She threw it away and 5 years after that it showed up at the other friends house.

She refused to let me buy one as a teenager.

Its pretty funny how she's an atheist who believes in demons but I've seen this board too and it is really scary how it keeps popping up. All three of them are terrified of them now.

Me personally I'd like to experiment with it but she won't let me touch it

I would "conjure" a guess some "friend" of hers was having a laugh at her expense.

@Beowulfsfriend you would think but they both live 200 miles away

Same as noted below - fun at childhood parties, ideomotor effect.
Neat to experience as a group for the first time as you won't believe you are actually moving it.

A related effect is using a pendulum lightly held over a piece of paper. You can see how little input is needed to change the oscillations of the pendulum between left/right; to/for; clockwise; counterclockwise etc.

Ah, yes. The old pendulum. Best when young, and stoned.

@Beowulfsfriend And how is that different from the Ouija board?

@RPardoe Not. Just hadnt thought of them in a while. Both are just games, at best manipulated by the subconscious and more likely by a person attempting to impress friends. And I had an Al Gore moment, reflecting on inhaling.

They are a product of the ideomotor effect. Google it.

When a group of people come together really wanting to believe something there is a tendency for the combined sub conscious minds to make sure something expected does prove them right.
The majority of Ouija answers are yes or no, and names given are either spelled wrong or are something simple like John or Sue, so it is easy to anticipate the next letter and involuntarily push toward it.

At school a girl in my class, lost her mother at the age of 13, a group of other girls took her in to a quite space with a spirit board and managed to "contact" the mother freaking them all out and precipitating a few panic attacks, so even when used as a tool of closure, such toys are not effective and can be damaging.

Even among spiritualist, something dabbled in for research purposes in the 1980s, Ouija boards are frowned as nonsense.

Only as a teenager.

I freaked out some fools

the ability to roll your eyes to white and foam at the the mouth a little.

On a par with flying carpets, magic wands, and crystal balls. People invest these things with whatever power they have by their irrational belief, which becomes self - fulfilling. Can be fun if you have the right attitude, like horoscopes. Or Meyers - Briggs. (ducking) 🤓

Yeah I remember using one as a kid. We manipulated it to say dirty words. Lol

Yep...last time was about 30 years ago. The thing moves without (conscious) effort....but supposedly it's due to micro-muscle facilitation done unconsciously.

I used it once to channel a dead relative and find out which book she stored all the cash in.

Didn't work... But I found .25 in the couch cushions... So, you know, big win there!

Obvious proof in the supernatural...

I thought it was as useless as a magic 8 ball.

it is a game. it is marketed as a game. it is nothing but a game.

g

Yes, I used one to scare the shit out of a girl I liked. She was too scared to walk home alone in the dark; so it led to the first time I made out in my own car.

JimG Level 8 Nov 8, 2018

Only as a kid, and no.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:218747
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.