Agnostic.com

28 12

Trump supporter: "Would you vote for Oprah for president?"

"She's black and a woman."

This from my hair stylist who voted for Trump. Must admit I was crowing about how well Democrats did in the Midterm Elections.

"No, Oprah Winfrey is unqualified to be president," I replied. "Do you think I'm dumb?" I asked pointedly.

"No," she replied.

"The implication is that...."

"There's NO implication!" she replied, cutting me off.

"What you implied is..."

"THERE'S NO IMPLICATION!" she thundered, not letting me finish. Repeat.

Her implication was that Democrats would vote for any minority woman, regardless of qualifications. That's insulting and reminds me of Republican, racist dog whistles.

"I don't want to argue with you," I finally said. "Please stop."

In the past, we agreed to disagree. There's no arguing with Trump supporters.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think I'd want someone like that near my neck with scissors. ?

I get tired of people telling me to be nice and reason with these people. If they had the ability to reason, they wouldn't have voted for this most UNQUALIFIED man to begin with. Fuck these people.

@daylily, Family will be family. My father was a staunch Republican (passed away before the Trump circus) who thought Obama Wing the election was the end of the country as we know it. While I understand much more how he felt with Trump in office, we generally remained civil by just avoiding the subject. With solid opposing views that are never going to change, a cease fire is often the best way to keep family gatherings the joy they should be. If they start the MAGA talk, deflect to better topics.???

Another totally, cluelessly, unqualified president? No, thanks. Although she would be a 10,000% improvement over what we have now.

^^^THIS^^^

She is not even remotely "cluelessly unqualified". I don't even know why you would assume that to be the case.

@KKGator Because there is no need for another one who doesn't know how government actually works.

It's dangerous to talk politics with your hairdresser or your manicurist or your podiatrist or anyone that might have sharp instruments in their hand.

You got that right.?

You’re arguing with your hairstylist...While you’re in the chair? LOL. You must be very brave or have a very good relationship with her! You’re lucky you didn't wind up with a Mohawk or a big chunk missing somewhere in the back. And Oprah is certainly no less qualified than Cheeto was, and she is a heck of a lot more honest, personable and generous than that scumbag that is currently in office. But I will be happy if she doesn't run, just because it is going to take a professional diplomat to straighten the mess out after Trump gets done trashing the country for the next two years.

I'd be getting a new stylist. I have no trust for anyone who still supports 45.
Especially with shears and chemicals around my head.

As far as Oprah goes, if she were the only one running against 45, hell yes, I'd be voting for her. She is a far more successful human than he is. She's actually richer than he is, and her money is REAL.
She has a far better understanding of humanity than he does.
She's college educated, and she actually WORKED for a living.
Her daddy didn't give her millions and set her up in business.
She was a journalist. Just because she made her name with a television show shouldn't be a disqualifying factor. If it is, that's rather hypocritical, don't you think?

Most importantly, she knows what it is like to struggle. She knows what it is like to do without.
45 has no clue about any of that. Which is another reason he is unqualified, when compared to just about everyone else.

So, when discussing the possibility of Oprah running for the Presidency, don't be so quick to dismiss her. Educate yourself BEFORE you call her nothing more than just another celebrity.
She is vastly more qualified than the piece of shit we're currently having to endure.

@KKGator

I have never watched Oprah Winfrey's show. Never watch TV.

I like what said @icolan wrote. This was reported in the news about Oprah Winfrey:

Oprah Winfrey promoted many quack theories on her show and gave people like "Dr." Oz and "Dr." Phil a platform to peddle their "alternative medicine."

You need a new hairdresser.

Really! I wouldn't trust her.

Qualifications and experience in government count. Business does not work the same as government.

A non-profit business is closer to government.

@bingst They are not related in anyway.

Enough Celebrities. We need a statesmen who knows the concerns of the People and not the Medical Profession or Stockholders, Lobbyists and the support of the NRA. All of this has to be shit canned and the sooner the better.

Trump supporters abandon reason to do so. There beliefs seem to come from visceral biases and the denial of clear and simple facts. In the traditional liberal vs conservative debate that has occupied the national debate forever, Trumpsters bound into the space vomiting mindless chants of "lock her up" and MAGA. Once reason is thrown overboard, there is no common language for discussion. There's no way to converse or educate the debate with facts or ideas. You can't feed a vomiting child. Their brains have been switched off. As a former boss of mine used to say: "Do not try to teach the pigs to sing! It wastes your time, and it annoys the pigs!" Or as the sudo religious right might have come across in the bible they wield like a weppon but haven't learned from, "Matthew 7-6: "Do not give what is holy to the dogs nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet: and turn and tear you in pieces." This from the sermon in the mount.

Trumpsters are very much a sudo-religious cult. They cannot be rehabilitated unless they want to. Or shock therapy, but that is considered cruel and unusual! ?

An accurate and eloquent description, by a person whose vote is consistently negated by the opposite.. In a democracy, apparently, even pigs can vote.

You are absolutely right about no arguing with Trump supporter!! Unfortunately there is also no arguing with Trump haters either. Politics is bullshit. All ethics are gone. They all play the game and get rich leaving us the debt.

"No, Oprah Winfrey is unqualified to be president," I replied.

I felt a flush of frustration begin in my gut and took a breath to steady myself. Through a practiced force of will, I refocused away from my budding resentment, and toward my interlocutor's humanity. Then, in a carefully curated voice of neutral curiosity, I inquired, "Why do you ask?"

And no one was insulted that day. The end.

Some are warriors ..some are not…

Thanks for sharing...

Why would Oprah ever run for public office?

She has more unilateral power exactly where she is than she would ever have in government.

Remember when Oprah put a severe hurt in the beef industry simply by being displeased with them and their practices? That's power. She's a part of the social paradigm, and she has a pretty wide sphere of influence.

And there are no term limits for Queen of Daytime Television. Except the public whim, which frankly worst case scenario for Oprah that mantle of power goes to Ellen. No one else has held up against Oprah solo. The coffee-klatch shows like the View rely on the collective celebrity of all parties, Oprah is Oprah.

if reagan can be president.. why not oprah.
?

@hippydog

Ronald Reagan was unqualified to be president. He was a lousy actor.

Also, Reagan had Alzheimer's disease while president.

@AngryAF How was Reagan a Union supporter? His bulldozing of the Air Taffic Controller’s struck set the stage for union losses ever since. Thanks to him, union members turned on union members. I was in a union at the time. It made me sick to hear our members talk about the ATC members being “overpaid”, too many benefits, etc. The way unions worked was showing solidarity, not envy. If another union got something better than you, you made more effort next contract to get similar benefits. It was this that produced better wages, holidays, vacations, 40 hour work weeks etc. Now it’s the companies doing that. If one company doesn’t pay overtime or reduces benefits and gets away with it, other companies try to do the same.
My father was management, I used to get invited to tag along to dinners at their exclusive Country Club, where the other top management people would brag about which one was paying their most qualified machinists the least amount of money. Made me sick, I stopped going with him.

The point of the post:

We would only put forth Oprah as a candidate only for being a member a minority and a woman and famous.
(drawing a parallel to when they put forth 45 as a candidate just because he was a rich white famous male, but somehow his followers still considered a washington 'outsider'😉

The poster would not actually vote for Oprah because Oprah is unqualified.
(Just like 45 is unqualified. No one should have voted for 45 because 45 spend a lifetime in the media proving he was unqualified.)

The hairdresser cut her off before she could complete the comparison of how straight up ridiculous it is to deny Oprah as a candidate if you were willing to seriously consider 45 a candidate. The poster is trying to get the hairdresser over hypocrisy or cognitive dissonance.

This post was not endorsing Oprah as a candidate.

@ComonHuman

Thank you for your astute analysis. Also, I felt she was ridiculing Democrats and by extension, me, calling us blindly short-sighted.

The pot calling the kettle black.

They cannot vote for her and cannot discuss her. She is a black minority and more intelligent than Donald Trump.

I have to say I love reading your posts! You are a great writer and every one of your posts is a short story! Thanks!

@KenChang

Thank you! I feel glad you enjoy my posts. Hugs.

One basic thing. She's intellectual. That alone would be an immense improvement.

I call the general voters trumpies with a lower t. I call the rabit maga-hat-wearing supporters trumptards.

I just don't engage them anymore. It would be more productive to repeatedly beat my head against a brick wall. Walk away because you will never get that time back!

It would be really nice if there was a test that anyone who runs for any public office should take. If the questions were posed correctly we could separate the idiots from those who actually would be qualified to govern. We have to stop electing stupid.

While I think certain things about her are a vast improvement over the current resident of the WH, I don't think she is the best candidate. Given other choices that are far more experienced and versed in politics, I would have to vote on that alone.

I would pick a different hairdresser. I can no longer support people who continue to keep their head in the sand (or their ass) for this guy...I have no problem with them being Republican, or any other party, but supporting him is a no go for any relationship for me.

Sad, but then I am not American so cannot really comment

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:224812
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.