Agnostic.com

13 1

What's better?

To be alone for the rest of my life or continuing looking for plausible ways to socialize and develop friendships with nicer folks?

WarmFluffy 7 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The latter is a great idea. It is what I aspire to. What do you mean by 'alone'? Alone with no friends or alone with no significant other? I think either way the latter option can help both situations. JMO ?

With no significant other. I'd rather have a significant other, but am not interested in men with lots of hang ups. This year I gave an ultimatum to one who seemed to think if he likes a photo of me I send then it's an invitation to again try getting me to accept irresponsible, romance when I've said no to that route although there aren't so many men like my dad right now. That's one thing about my dad that I admire how respectfully he treated my mother. Even after marriage, they went out on family dates once a week and when we were out of the house still took walks together, special meals out, at least supper together and talked about how to get things done like civil adults. Most I've met want some degree of crazy romance, and when I learn more if they actually have good intentions see me as a potential bargain enslaved servant with them doing flip and not even open to me making a convenient business on the side as that would take some tike away from being the perfect unpaid servant and perpetual honeymoon until maybe they get bored and dump me. No way! I want a normal friendship with someone who likes delicious nutritious foods and things like that. I think I had an interesting conversation once about how high my salary would have to be to cover homemaking, culinary arts, gardening, and office work and over $60,000 ended the conversation right then. I've had some that earn less than I do now claiming I'm after their money. All goofy arguments to bully emslavement.

@WarmFluffy I agree with a lot of what you say. The idea of dating your spouse has always appealed to me. It can help lift you above the tedium of every day living. I vehemently agree with you on the whole enslavement thing. I always tend to take care of people and never expect them to reciprocate, to my downfall. If I meet someone that I would like to have a relationship with, the first thing I am going to pay attention to is whether they are willing to reciprocate. I am envious of the relationship your parents had. ?

I would think it's an ongoing situation that's both. I'm currently in the running for the former but my outlook is the latter. It's not simply a choice of either or for me 🙂

Keep socializing. I've done the alone route for too long, it only made me more miserable. But socialize in a way that works for you. You don't have to compete with or compare yourself to anyone else. Find groups and activities that you're interested in, and gauge your own interest and energy levels.

Continue looking....what you said.

Earlier this evening I heard shouting outside in the distance. Eventually I got up and went outside to see if I could find out what was going on. Down the street and on the other side of the street there were several people fussing and cussing at each other. Being really disagreeable. I went back inside. None of my business. At the same time, I thought to myself, I live alone with my dogs, but at least I'm not aggravated, like those folks.

I have felt alone so many times, but good people keep showing up like dandelions. 'Here we are! Get used to us!'

I think everyone I meet brings something into my life. Sometimes good and sometimes bad. But they all bring something. Life is a lesson...be the student.

Are you really alone? Not sure if this is your situation, but sometimes you overlook the friend(s) standing right in front of you in plain view. Good luck to you regardless. I can't answer your question, you gotta do that your own self.

I have occasional social activities, but no suitors.

Looking is supposed to be part of the fun.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

it is up to you, entirely. it sounds, from your description, which actually is not realistic (there are in-between options) as if you've already decided.

g

What do you think I've decided?

@WarmFluffy i do not know what you eventually decided but as of your post you sounded as if you were opting for aloneness. people who make that decision do not always abide by it, and that's fortunate lol

g

You have to be willing to take a chance to get a chance. That doesn't mean that you have to lower your standards.

This is really a personal thing where everyone's answer will be a little different. Socialization can help keep us young. Nevertheless, there are challenges. I'd rather be alone than unhappy over the result of bad company. I'd rather have good company than be alone. I'll just have to see what happens.

If present company is bad and makes you unhappy, junk it and repeat till you find good company.

@chucklesIII sounds like a plan

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:225422
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.