Agnostic.com

90 5

Is it possible to fall in love with someone with opposing political views?

Is it possible to fall in love with someone with opposing political views? I was asked this question today and found it rather difficult to answer and dependent upon the definition of 'love'.

Grumpy 5 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

90 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sure, but don't expect to make a long-term relationship out of it. Political preferences mirror personal principles and if your preferences are so diametrically opposed, your principles will clash to a degree that makes it impossible to coexist in the same space. I'm sure there are exceptions but this general rule applies to a majority of cases.

Half and half. My Dem dad John, 1904-1979, loved my born-in-Germany Repub mom Alice, 1906-1968, Her parents brought her to America and she attended high school here. After a German boyfriend who’d entered America illegally was deported, she married on the rebound. They stayed together.

Alice, a social, non-political feminist was Repub because from circa 1921 when the ERA was introduced in Congress until after she died, Repubs supported and Dems opposed the ERA.

They joked about always voting to deny either party a one-vote advantage.

My aunt and uncle were married for 50ish years, auntie used to joke that she and uncle used to hold hands going into the polling place so they could cancel out each other's votes. She was Japanese, met uncle during the Korean war (he was stationed in Japan). There was huge anti Japanese sentiment in the US when they married, but they overcame it all. I think they had a good balance and good understanding of what was really important.

I would think opposing political views would lead you with differences of fundamental values. Living and building a life with someone who has a different vision of how to live, raise offspring, and treat others, in my opinion, is not sustainable. You can call in love with someone easily, it's hard maintaining the love.

My parents are still together after 40 odd years - so yes 😉

Yes, and makes for some very interesting discussions.

This is a question that I've asked myself since I'd like to start dating again after a (soon to be) divorce. I live in WV which is a very pro-Trump state. Even though it makes for a smaller dating pool, I have realized that there is no way I could date for a Trump supporter. There just is such a fundamental disparity in world views that I just don't see how anything romantic could work out.

If an Atheist voted for TrumpOLINI their only excuse is Governor Johnson was too stoned/stupid and BILLARY is too criminal corrupt and incompetent to be prez....if an Atheist won't tell the truth about TrumpOLINI how can a lover expect the truth be told about anything else ? ....don't blame me I voted for the only competent PRESIDENT DR JILL STEIN www.jill2016.com

I have thought about this myself and I just don’t think I could. I could easily be a bit infatuated and certainly fancy someone but it would be unsustainable for me.

We may see if two people can stay together with opposing views that being Kellyann Conway and George Conway. It's gonna get interesting in the days ahead will have to watch Saturday Night Live on more regular basis.

Best relationships are those which compliment each other. Lock and key.

That happened to me once. Only the woman turned out to be a fundamentalist Christian fruitcake. I fell out of love real quick!

My take is that it is possible to fall in lust with anyone’s body. Falling in love involves a meeting of the minds. There can, basically will, be differences such as atheist with Methodist, or Catholic with lutheran, or Democrat with republican (old style, say circa 1950). But you cannot match a person of reason with a superstitious fanatic, say trumper with a human being, or a PTL devotee with an atheist. Those are doomed from the start and forever.

Of course it is possible! Making such a partnership last might be a huge challenge, however, as opposing views can cause a lot of strain! Love is not logical, but the management of every day life would probably infringe upon the emotion!

Its possible especially if you don't give a crap about politics.

Respect is needed for love to flourish..........so that is a question you will have to carefully evaluate for yourself!

I would consider it unthinkable to be with someone who supports Trump and all his conman ways, so my answer would probably be no. I couldn’t deal with the ignorance

TrumpOLINI deserves all our scorn HE IS A tiny fingered tiny penis tangerine Shitgibbon but our nation is under attack by billionaires and illegal aliens ....I am just one of thousands of victims of illegal aliens crimes destroying my truck and home....who will fall in love with a homeless American Atheists leader with 2 service cats in the dead of winter in Iowa where I was born ? The illegal aliens have my home job and police protection ruled by RethuglicanRepublocrats HORRY and CHARLESTON COUNTIES building tourist high rise condos busting unions paying half union wages....

@GreenAtheist I gather you don't like the Narcissus in Chief, the man with no plan except to back those billionaires with a tax cut that only benefits them.

Paula Abdul: Opposites Attract!

Well, I did, but his binge drinking has taken care of that !

You still hanging in there?

Yes wrong religion,wrong race, wrong ethics and wrong politics

Depends on how serious you both are about politics . I want to say yes that it is possile but results may very because everyone is different .

Politics lol you can't really tell between them. The same. Just focus if he/she has big ones.

I not sure theres an easy answer, ive dated several women with dissimilar postions but not tadical differences. I do know i was rather involved sexually with a conservative gal and we decided no politics but that was the start of trumpitis..... after 6-8 months i started sitting on my hands. I very honest snd direct and i could no longer hold my tongue ..... ironic as she loved oral pleasure but the tension kept building up and we lost each other as lovers snd friends. In spite of the news it was a loss

Not sure. Depends on if the person it tolerant or not of opposing viewpoints. For me, yes, For close minded folks, not so much. Just depends on your vantage point 🙂

For me I'm pretty sure the answer is NO. I consider political views to be a deal maker or breaker.

Some of my best friends are Republicans (not really - while it isn't a friendship deal breaker it does make it much harder. ) but I sure as hell wouldn't be able to marry one.

I guess one can FALL in love, but, maybe not STAY in love. especially if one has very strong points of views, one way or another. just my opinion.

Keech Level 5 Jan 1, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:228975
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.