Agnostic.com

36 3

How important is it to the average athiest or agnostic to debunk religious beliefs?

Personally I choose a live and let life stance. I won't force my disbelief on you if you don't try to force your belief on me.

Shelton 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am thinking more and more that this is less important. It wastes a lot of energy and the religious ideas will show themselves to be wrong without us interfering. Unfortunately some believers will not find out the truth until they are dead when of course they will not feel anything. Instead of worrying about them get them on a path to reason and logic by suggesting that they join this site and find the truth. This is important while there is still time to make sure their loved ones can exchange love as much as possible. You cannot force them but I have faith than people kind is a collection of potentially reasonable animals.

To me, it is important to debunk false religiously-based beliefs any time they are used in any area of public dialogue, public policy, erosion of constitutional safeguards, intrusion on our civil rights, or misrepresentation of scientific issues. In other words, any time they try to impose their false beliefs on me, I am prepared to fight.

I like the comment by @Dispirited . Religions contend that anything but their particular religion is bad and must be converted or eliminated. I think as humans can access more information, religion will just fade away. Religion and science are so different. If society is wiped out, the laws of physics still apply and can be rediscovered. None of the current religions would resurface, new ones would no doubt. I think the grim reaper is coming for all religions.

I used to be more confrontational, but I think looking for a fight and having to prove I'm right showed immaturity and possibly insecurity. I no longer feel the need to proselytize. I'm concerned only when I observe efforts to use religion to deny rights and liberties to people, use religion as a basis for legislation, or to impose magical thinking in public schools.

@Dispirited I don't shy away from discussion with someone I know personally who wants to talk religion, but the online debates (really, about anything) no longer appeal to me. Some people are itching for a fight, including a few people on this site, and I refuse to give them the satisfaction. I don't owe them anything.

Not worth the effort. Just get on with our own lives just so long as they leave us alone.

Exactly. I live and let live, as long as others let me do the same.

I don’t see a point. If religion makes someone happy, who am I to ruin that person’s happiness?

One thing the religious can't understand is that as an atheist I don't hate god, I'm indifferent to the concept as I find it useless.

It's not important to me to debunk beliefs except that I enjoy doing it in an appropriate forum. In real life (IRL) people don't generally talk about religion or politics except perhaps within their own tribe. I follow this unspoken rule. But there are places where theists and atheists voluntarily come together to share their [un]beliefs and to debate about them, and THAT is an appropriate place to have those conversations. Yet, perversely, believers often extrapolate from the fact that atheists hang out in those kinds of places, to the notion that we lay awake nights thinking about how we're going to destroy Christianity better the next day.

The REASON I enjoy debating religion with the religious is that I was myself once religious and I try to convey the sorts of information, arguments and reasoning that would have been helpful to me when I was questioning my religion of origin. It's a way of showing compassion, of giving back, and of righting some of my harmful contributions to society as a theist.

I don't hate god now, either, because one can't really hate something that one doesn't believe in. But I sure hated him during the period I was questioning! I came to see that character known as God, in that book of fiction called the Bible, to be churlishly arrogant, woefully ignorant, uniquely immature and hopelessly insecure. In other words, a real wretch, that God! And the New Testament version--God 2.0--wasn't a whole lot better, and in many respects, much worse. At least the OT god's revenge stopped at the grave, but Jesus promises eternal torture in fire. How perfectly indecent is this NT god!

@pnullifidian I used to raise my fist and curse at him. LOL!! A little misdirected back then...

It's like that old saw about wrestling a pig. I've had more success with most aspects of life trying to high road it. Lead by example. Be kind, considerate, generous, loving etc. Walk softly and beat them with a reasonable and thoughtful stick.

Normally I don't attempt to interfere with those practising religion.

However there was one exception.

It became clear to me that perosn that I came into contatct through my work was in a deeply unhappy state. The person concerned was a senior member of a notorious American sect who's leader had settled in the UK to escape Senator Joseph McCarthy.

I befreinded the person and made it clear that I would be availabe 24/7, in fact whenever I was needed, but the last thing I would have done was proselytise.

Eventually the perosn became friend and found the strength to leave the sect. Life for my friend was difficult for the next five years. Now my freind looks back at they 19 years wasted being a member oif the sect but I council that life is a one way journey and one should never look back, just look to the future.

I don't fight battles I can't win and I can't win this one.

I agree. It would be a rare occasion for me to get in anyone's face about their beliefs.

Not even remotely.

Meh. I don’t often start conversations.

The only time I will confront a believer is if they hit my hypocrisy button. I can't stand a hypocrite.

The thing with me about religion today is I don’t give it much thought. It just doesn’t matter to me..

"Don't poke the sleeping bear"

I generally don't instigate debates with religious people, but if they do it with me then they have invited it upon themselves. Otherwise I mind my own business if they are just average people who aren't pushy with their beliefs. Most religious people around here are of the moderate variety, who don't buy into the full blown bible belt crazy. So it's usually not a big deal, but there is always gonna be a nutter that needs a good logic thrashing.

The danger in standing on the sidelines is that you never know who might be on the fence and needs to hear a voice of reason.

I spent far too long in a crazy religious cult, I wish someone would have taken the time to try and convince me before I wasted years of my life and spent thousands of dollars in vain.

I reach out to those willing to hear, it's the least I can do.

I think it's crucial, if not for this generation, for the next. But rather than directly confronting a religious belief in order to debunk it, one approach might be to discuss the merits of evidence-based knowledge, and the benefits of science, as has been achieved through the scientific method.

We have an epistemology problem in this country, as many of us have no idea why and how we think something is true. Once people begin to think critically, and question literally everything, they will inevitably consider why they believe a particular religious claim. Not that they will necessarily go beyond that first question, but we must be doing all we can, while we can, to plant those seeds of doubt.

Here Here!!

It doesn't really matter. If reason worked with these people, then we wouldn't be having this debate in the first place.

I can't speak for anyone else but it isn't important to me at all. I don't mind playing sometimes when people get downright uptight but mostly I don't bother them and they don't bother me - There are some Legion of Mary women who come to our housing scheme sometimes and honestly they just chat - Pretty sweet, they aren't hurting anyone, and they just join in the non religious conversation thats going on - Yes I feel the same whatever floats your boat!

I don't get involved so it isnt important to me at all - I think if I let them start, it will go on forever.

I'm open about being an atheist, but am not interested in debating with a believer. I sometimes can't help publicly ridiculing the absurdity of it all, usually with humor and sarcasm, but it's rare.

None whatsoever... not in war with god, jesus, mudhammed or religion.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm not here to proselytize. By the same token, I don't want anyone to push their beliefs onto me, especially government or any other bureaucracy.

Depends who is saying it. If it is someone I have no respect for then I don't care

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23046
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.