Agnostic.com

35 9

Do you think other people generally see you, as you see yourself?

How big is the disconnect between your own self-image and how others think of you (or at least describe you)?

In some areas, I think my view of myself lines up with what other people think of me. However, I've been described as intense, precise, and motherly. All adjectives I never personally associate with myself.

How about you?

silvereyes 8 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorta. I think other people incorrectly assume i know what i'm doing. It's not full blown imposter syndrome, but i've gotten through life with a little bit of knowledge, and a LOT of BS.

It's really the combination of having some knowledge of the subject, and the confidence to make your delivery believable.

I've been playing music professionally for 20+ years. I'm not particularly dextrous on the fretboard. I wasn't some child prodigy, i didn't start playing until i was a teenager. I'm not a shredder or virtuoso by any stretch of the word.

I studied music in college. Music theory classes were always at 7 or 8 am and i was always walking in late and hungover. I got good grades, but i really didn't get all i could out of my education.
But hey, that little bit of theory i retained is enough for me to BS my way through songs i don't actually know (or remember), and lets me write stuff that sounds complicated even though it's actually simple. I'm not a GOOD musician, just a smart one.

...and that's pretty much how everything else in my life goes. Not on a wing and a prayer, but on a kernel of knowledge and a buttload of BS 🙂

Having an ambulatory intelligence, readily able to solve problems on the go, is important to functioning. @silvereyes

I typically don’t pay attention to how I’m perceived. I have a small set of friends, but I’m not overly social. I’m concerned how I’m perceived at work, of course, and I adjust my behavior, as necessary, to meet the needs of my job.

I've been called a mother too, usually with an added descriptor. It depends on the situation I think. Some days, not knowing what others think of you is a good thing.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

Me too. Many times, but I never got a mother's day gift.

I assume that they do, and that's partly why I've given up on dating.

JimG Level 8 Feb 11, 2018

I'd like to think that a few do. I'd like to think that most don't. it's a mighty tricky proposition to see someone else as they see themselves.

I seriously doubt it. No one at work knows from the depression I live with on a daily basis. It's hard to function each day, now whoever reads this will know too, my family thinks I'm fine. I'm like that commercial where she holds up a happy face.

I am not what others think I am! I am what I create and what I think I am. My friends and acquaintances are very much aware of my disdain for judgement and or opinions when it comes to labeling. Others opinions of me is none of my business.

My self image is just that....MY OWN!! Not a person in this world has or will ever have input to how I SEE ME.

No, I'm much cooler. Then again, I would say that, wouldn't I?

You cannot control how other people see you, so it is not a major concern of mine. I like hearing it when folks tell me what they thought at first, as opposed to what they think now. No clue how either idea got started, or why it changed, but it is still interesting to listen

Good question...ask everyone and get their opinion...maybe had out questionnaires?

Are you kidding? It would be nice to see ourselves as others do but the problem is that there are lots of "others". We don't even see ourselves as other people on this site see us. I ask for my friends to give me constructive criticism as a way to grow but sometimes I am reminded, "be careful what you wish for"!

I think it all depends on perspective and circumstances. I think that there are some people who have a similar view of me as I do, but I know that others don't. Most of the time I don't care.

As far as my own experience being an extremely introverted person, others perceive me as snobbish or unfriendly (far from true), I've he been told this is common by other introverts. The saying that "you can't judge a book by its cover" rings true, society will assume all sorts of stereotypes based on appearances. Being heavily tattooed I've dealt the assumption that I'm either a convict or a bad boy tough guy (neither are true). Even in cases of long term relationships and friendships it's my opinion that rarely the other party knows the true self of the other. It would probably scare the hell out of the majority of people to know what truly is going on in other people's head. I think most but not all people try to project personality traits that they assume will make themselves accepted by others around them. Often these traits do not reflect their true selves, leading to hang ups and anxiety trying to keep up the act. All I know is that the more I disconnect from social situations and the older I get, the less I care about what other assume about me, and the more I can be myself.

I used to think very poorly of myself, that I was ugly and inadequate. As a result it was very hard for me to trust anyone, and when people said anything nice I always thought they were just humoring me. I've allowed myself to take in good stuff more and more over the years, but it's still hard. I still believe it quicker when someone says something negative. Gotta keep working on changing this.

People read my body language and assume I'm going to behave based on what they've deduced about my body language when it's really just temporary emotions or thoughts they are reading, and I usually end up disregarding most of my thoughts when making decisions. Like I come off as scared or weak some times because of the way I grew up, but I've learned to counteract those thoughts and emotions, so it surprises people when I become assertive. This causes a lot of problems because instead of being somewhat intimidated by my body language and therefore more cautious, some take it as a time to "pounce" and then I end up having to fight extra hard to counteract the original impression they got from me which ends up making me look more aggressive when I'm really just trying not to be taken advantage of. I've also been told I have resting bitch face, and people think I'm having condescending thoughts when I'm really just socially anxious, more scared of you than you are of it type deal.

My friends and I would describe me the same way-fun-loving, caring, adventurous, sexy, and loving.

Whenever anyone is being himself or herself and not projecting an image which they hope will please others, it is very unlikely that there will be a disconnect between self image and the perceptions of others.

Only in the summer when I reveal all my tattoos.

I have absolutely no idea. It is something that I've always wondered about though

probably have a better opinion of me than i do, but more cuz they only see me when im doing well

Others seem to have extreme views of me. Some absolutely love me while others wish me dead. I tend to fall in the middle.

Big disconnect, not physically, I think people visually see me as I see myself.
I hate people in general, the average everyday Johnny Public in the street. I hate them.
One on one I try to help people, individuals I interact with become real to me and I can deal with them.People see me as kind, approachable and friendly. I am not, I just appear so.

Too outspoken, laid-back, don't seem to have much of a serious side and a procrastinator, is how I've been described over the years. I think I'm misunderstood. 🙂

I know they don't but since I go to a bit of trouble to make myself look like an asshole, I can't really blame them.

Yet I do LOL

Nice post thanks, I think people find me weird more than anything else, I was called 'that weird child ' all the time when I was growing up. People were a bit scared of me as I was so old for my age. I understand the idea that - 'What others think and feel about me is none of my business' but I do get uneasy about how I relate to people as I had a very strange upbringing - its better all the time now I am just an 'auld doll 'soon to be 70.
I also have D.I.D (M.P.D)so have to watch that I am not triggered in a way that might upset others. I live in sheltered accommodation and people here have got used to me so I guess apart from the fact that I don't have a baldie about some of the ways some of my alters live my life for me so I suppose a shorter answer would be I'm sure when I am with someone and doubtful afterwards at times.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23232
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.