Agnostic.com

33 10

Is it consider mental abuse if someone preaches to you about their religion without your consent?

Yesterday, I was house hunting in a different area and a realtor's husband spent nearly an hour talking about the "love of Jesus Christ" to me and what "real" Christianity means while driving me to different properties.

I couldn't really focus on my mental notes of the properties because I was constantly hearing this man talk about God and it stressed me out and was draining and at least twice I told him to stop but he wouldn't and went back to his "passionate" rant of Jesus and love.

I'm too nice I admit. I wanted to respect his beliefs and just listen but I was at my wits end. I wanted to scream at him.

All of this crap because I told him I am a Religious and Cultural Studies student. I had absolutely no desire to talk about Christianity.

I see now it was a form of manipulation. This is why vulnerable ignorant people get "saved" because it's like a form of brainwashing when people over and over and over "preach" about their religion to them.

Thanks to him, I hate Christianity more than ever.

taemaria27 5 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You told him to stop. He did not stop. That is disrespectful at the very least and you should consider finding a new realtor.

Lauxa Level 5 Feb 11, 2018

Idk if it is abuse, but it sure is annoying.

You're a far more tolerant person than I would have been.

I would have put up with maybe 5 minutes of it, then would have politely informed my agent that if this was the sort of behavior that he/she made a customer put up with, that I would be doing business with somebody else.

My only advice, get a new R.E. agent.

I consider it rude and impertinent and self-absorbed and unprofessional, but not abusive unless you are being confined / restrained and made to listen to it. You could have simply told him to stop it or you'll find another realtor if it bothered you that much. And then followed through if he persisted.

If he is irreplaceable, then I would understand. If not.... > In situations like this, I always ask the hyper-religious person to debate their scripture, and the very existence of their God. They usual become very angry or even frightened by the cognitive dissonance that ensues.
I think it's a stretch to call it abuse

It was rude, obnoxious and disrespectful. That takes it into the abusive level on my scale.

If they continue after you tell them to stop.

I think it is considered mental abuse if the recipient feels abused - Thats the only rule of thumb I have if you feel harassed, you are - I honestly feel that we all have a responsibility for our own actions and if I were ever to be pulled for this sort of behaviour I would seriously try to make amends in a way that didnt make it worse.

I would have ended the house looking right there and gotten a different agent. When looking fo a home it is too hectic to take the time to educate believers.

After the first time you told him to stop, you had every right to dump him and find a different realtor.

People including relatives, in this country will count peaching in 'any which a way' as 'free speech!' I find it deeply offensive...i have been told the reason their words hurt me, is because they hit their mark! I will go out of my way, to avoid these people! Heck, I don't leave anything up to them!

Reverse it and preach Atheism to them. Tell them if it offends YHEM, then maybe it hits THEIR mark! Let's see how they can stand THAT!!!

The next time it happens, just tell him the appointment's over! This is abuse - or at the very least, harassment! Totally inappropriate!

Just because you're an Atheist doesn't mean you're this big empty void of morality. You have a right to believe whatever you wish, and it's no one's business! You have a right to REFUSE to listen. You have a right to walk away at any time. When people are giving you a service and begin evangelizing, REPORT THEM. In sure their employers wouldn't be pleased that their ee is preaching instead of doing their job!

"Look man, if you want to sell me a house, stop talking about religion. If you want to keep talking about religion, then just take me back to my car now and we can quit wasting each other's time."

d_day Level 7 Feb 12, 2018

Maybe you could politely have asked him to um Shut Up! 😉 I am trying to focus and think about the houses. Thank you so much for your understanding sir!

Yes

Well, he had you as a captive audience. I don’t know if it could qualify as abuse, but it is certainly rude and extremely disrespectful to continue preach at you after asking him not to. You are right - you are too nice! Perhaps you should’ve asked him whether he wanted to prosthelytize or to sell you a house. If he wanted to sell you a house, then focus on that. If he wanted to prosthelytize, your business was done.

I presume he lost the sale? I hate when that happens.

I think you have summed up the episode very well. It IS a form of abuse.

The only saving grace for the perpetrator is that the MAY have been doing it out of a desire to educate you and make you happy, BUT I doubt it.

I know parents employ the same technique to get their kids to survive. If the lecture had been about the safest way to cross busy roads, then the pressurised methodology might be justified.

For your sanity, take a leaf out of his book, and assume he was doing his best to help you and forgive him. He knew not what he was doing 🙂

Yes. Simply say, with respect, that religion is not something I prefer to discuss in a transaction which may have a significant impact on my life

I actually had a preacher accost me at a gas station last weekend. At first I asked him to be respectful because not everyone there was religious and apparently he took that as a challenge to witness me. I flat out told him, "Look buddy, I'm not from around here. (I'd gone down to oklahoma city for a toy for my kids, hour and a half long drive so I already wasn't in a great mood.) I'm also a minister for atheism. If you want to have this discussion professionally then throw down the gauntlet or back off." ( I actually did get legally ordained as an atheist minister because a friend couldn't find anyone in my town to marry her and her wife but that's another story.) He got this weird look in his eye and went outside. I finished paying for my gas and drink and on the way out I hear him on his phone complaining to someone asking, "is that even a thing?" By the time I pulled out of there I was in a little bit of a better mood but that guy was irritating as hell.

Ask him to pull over, get out of the car, call his boss and report him for religious harassment. Then contact the BBB and file a report. If you feel ambitious, you could contact the local paper. Sorry to climb on that soap box. To answer your question, the answer is a resounding, "Yes! It's Abuse!"

It's technically about control, he's doing it to wave his ego, his pride, his everything in your face. It's about power. I think at the very least it's borderline abusive.

They (Christians) always have to get the final word in, always have to preach and preach and preach. If they can't respect what someone else wants, use fear and "love" to convey emotional responses, try to get a leg up, want to "save you" it feels to me that's completely wrong.

It's no different than someone hitting you in the gut, and saying I love you, babe! Honest! I won't do it again! I swear. It's just coming at you a different way.

Keep a cool head, and try not to let it get to you. They honestly feel what they're doing is for the betterment of you, and everyone else around them. I don't know how else to properly word it, but anything like this by any other name would be straight up abuse.

Not only is it abuse because you asked him to stop, but it’s rude and plain disrespectful. It’s really abuse when you’re threatened with a bad fate when you refuse to think like them.

Wow, I was going to make some smart ass comment about wearing a condom. On further reflection I agree with your assessment - manipulation. I'm not as nice a person, and would have told the realtor MY view. Unless you are prepared for more I'd find another realtor. I had friends in Utah that were not Mormon and the discrimination they suffered trying to sell their house was terrible.

That does surprise me. The majority of the LDS I have met have been quite well behaved.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23328
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.