Agnostic.com

30 2

QUESTION How do you feel about (boy) scouting?

This is a very important movement that is going back to the basics of the Boy Scouts. I was a Weblos, Boy Scout and Explorer Scout. My step son (who is gay) was an Eagle Scout who returned his badge in protest over scouting policies.

Can you be good without God? Boy Scouts face the question. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will begin its own program for boys age 14-18 next year after announcing that it would end its relationship with the Boy Scouts.

JackPedigo 9 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my opinion, it is a great organisation for young people, if they would just keep the religious nonsense out of it.

I'd recommend against Boy Scouts given their history of discrimination and heavy-handed religiosity. I think there are some alternatives that are more inclusive and more secular, providing richer experiences for everyone involved.

Navigators USA: “As a Navigator I promise to do my best to create a world free of prejudice and ignorance. To treat people of every race, creed, lifestyle and ability with dignity and respect. To strengthen my body and improve my mind to reach my full potential. To protect our planet and preserve our freedom.”
(https://navigatorsusa.org)

Camp Fire: “While Camp Fire was America’s first multiracial, multicultural, and nonsectarian organization for girls, we become co-ed in 1975. Since then, ALL youth are welcome at Camp Fire.”
(https://campfire.org/)

The thing is since they initiated their discriminatory policies most local governments dropped support for them. it hurt them financially as it should. This will happen to other religious based organizations/businesses if the don't change their ways.

While I'm relatively pleased that the BSoA are coming around to entering the current century, I still have a real problem with their faith-based teachings. My great-nephew is in Scouts. A couple of months ago, I ran across a worksheet, he got from his pack leader, about the 10 Commandments. It led to a conversation about how not everyone believes the same things he does, but I really don't like that he's learning "christian principles". I have no input into how he's being raised. I can only offer my input when the situations present themselves.

I was a boy scout, and I believe the religious undertones involved really drove me to become an atheist

I refuse to support any organization with a religious affiliation, even when their mission plan is basically sound because there is always some obligation associated. Too me, its only charity when given freely.

Take away the jebus crap and boy/girl scouts I'd an excellent experience for young people

Going through boy scouts wasn't easy for a lot of us that went through it from young age till we were to old for it anymore. I was a eagle scout and was in the order of the arrow as well many other programs in the boy scouts yet hate that they forced religious crap on all of us kids besides some of us being sexually abused by the scout leaders which I still read about that shit going on with different troops. "Sigh" 😟

When my son's friends who were Boy Scouts elicited interest from my son, he didn't join, and we explained to the other parents that we didn't share the theistic view. We were told that it was okay, their troop didn't really push it. They didn't get that we didn't want to engage with their mindset, not that we were concerned about their evaluation of us. My son doesn't seem to have missed the scout experience and married a woman who shared with him his concern that their wedding not be theistic. It was a great wedding.

Scouting has changed since I was young. Now there are lots of programs for young people of all ages. [nwyouthcorps.org], [sanjuanislandscd.org], [seattle.gov] to name 3 in my area and one on my island. Scouting is larger but that need not be an impediment to youth outdoor activity.

My best childhood friend is gay (although he didn't come out till he was in his late 20's). Sad the way that happened. He first told his other friend (a devout Christian) who instantly called him an abomination that will burn in hell and to never speak to him again so when my gay friend (over the phone) reluctantly and fearfully told me he was gay, he was surprised that I honestly didn't care what his sexual orientation was. It took many days before he finally realized I was completely honest with not finding anything wrong with his sexual identity. I had no problems with gays as I was never a good Christian as when I was very young I figured the church was nothing more then a giant con game adults used to scare kids into doing what they told us to do. It wasn't until my late 20's before I came to the horrifying realization that many children don't grow up and became adults that still think the baseless faith based assertions are factual. As youth together my gay friend and I attended Boy Scouts in the local church basement and did a bunch Boy Scout outdoor activities. In retrospect, I'm surprised religion didn't do more damage to him as his world was filled with Christian: Gay = "God hates you you dreadful abomination" propaganda. His parents were both strong theists and it was not until they died that I finally began to impart my dislike of how religion is a virus that has great negative consequences towards homosexuals.

I was a life scout but was told I couldn't recieve eagle based on atheism. I don't know if that rule has changed or not, but it's kind of irrelevant.

That's what happened to me.

Gees? I so did not know the Scouts were ever that kind of religious!

The answer is apparently variable: [ffrf.org]

My late partners son did it but I guess it was the "don't ask don't tell" thing. He finally got fed up and told and gave the award back. We both were proud of him.

Scouting was an important part of my growing up, and yes, we met in the church basement but there was no religious aspect to our activities. That includes no prayers, no grace at meals...

I was a Girl Scout and it was really good for me. But I did not put my son into Boy Scouts because of their discriminatory practices towards gay people and non-believers. In spite of the potential benefits, I did not want him indoctrinated to beliefs I disagree with.

It was completely different when I was a scout. It turned out money was the big issue. In central Washington there was a BS camp that was failing due to a lack of money. A realtor put it up for sale and a well know and famous woman (Harriet Bullitt-[iciclefund.org] ) bought the place and turned it into a glorious environmental center. Dale Chihuly has an outdoor sculpture there and the place is known as Sleepy Lady Resort.

Have you ever seen some of scout leaders ???
YIKES...

Also, Ryan Zinke, Jeff Sessions, Rick Perry, and Rex Tillerson were brought up as boys scouts...

I am sure there are a lot of scouts that are embarrassed about that.

Made it to life Scout. Troop 66. We were notoriously called "Troop 666". Liked Summer Camp. We kept escaping after dark...and paddled canoes across the lake to the girl scouts camp.

Scouting creeps me out.

If I’m not mistaken, wasn’t the Boy Scouts originally secular? Did y’all already talk about this?

I was in the Brownies - for the younger girls, then you move up to girl scouts. I already had formed my views on religion and simply enjoyed the crafts and outtings we did.
I do not feel you need to bring religion into a group designed to give young boys something to do after school and on weekends. The opportunty to teach good behavior, moral pride, community development, etc. does not need preaching the bible, that's what the church is for. Too bad the Boys Scouts have gotten so political and concerned with sexual orientation.

The boy scouts lost their subsidy for Seattle programs. The girl scouts kept them. They rented the city park "Camp Long" for 3 weeks each summer. Another sign that girls are better than boys!

The Boy Scouts have been changing with the times.

My SIL (who is Jewish) was a Scout Leader.

They're also now letting girls in. So maybe it's "Scouts" now? IDK,

And they've stopped with the gay bashing (Officially).

One of my nephews who was in the Scouts is now Atheist. So I don't know what religious hoo doo is involved? If any?

And good on your Son - he's one of the people that MADE THEM change!

I mean, the Scouts in the UK couldn't care less. The official oath is Christian, but the organisation is obligated to accommodate other beliefs/lack thereof. I never felt I had religion forced on me in any way during my time in the Scouts.

There are a ton more Den Mother's these days. I wonder if they work in pairs as they should? It keeps the adults accountable.

I was a life-long girl scout - I think we were always more inclusive and less religious (the pledge aside). We were a heavy camping/hiking oriented troop, and we were not typical. But it seems from my readings that the girl scouts have really made strides in inclusive human rights, and I'll continue to support them unless I see religion starting to rear its ugly head. It did not while I was involved. My senior troop leader was obviously gay, although those words were not used back then, and none of us cared one whit - but I also never mentioned it to my parents.

My father was a life long boy scout, and we had some loud public arguments about whether gays should be allowed. He passed before all of the changes were made and I can't help wondering what he would have thought. I am still not supportive of them, changes or not, because it seems the changes were made under pressure, not because they really wanted to. Sad.

It would be a good organization if any religious push was omitted. But there's always some holier than thou leader who pushes it in. I was raised Catholic and didn't push my kids into scouting at all because the group in our area was led by and at the local Church of Christ, who were super God-y. I didn't come to my senses on the whole get out of religion thing till I was in my late 40s.

When I was in it was good. I did tons of camping. Unfortunately, a lack of money caused them to sell out to the Mormons. I think even before that there were probably religious zealots pushing their agenda. Being a secular organization the FFRF would have gotten involved and stopped that. As a private group it is free to do as it pleases. We'l see what happens if they break away from the Mormons.

You brought the question... will I get close to a woman with a gay son? Nah. I don't have to.

My late partner's (we called each other partners to support her son and his partner) youngest son is gay. The other 2 kids (one is a doctor) are Southern Baptist. She always asked me where did she go wrong (with the religious children). Gay or straight children should never be an issue.

@JackPedigo You are 100% correct but I had never tried to be in a relationship with "steps", I guess I would had problems with "straights", "gays" will be even more complicated and I had no experience. Women in my life never had children with them... I just never saw me as a step father and that will raise the difficulty level.

I would not let a grandchild of mine anywhere near that pedophile infested bible thumping organization.

Is there a need? If so what is it? I have had nothing to do with the moment, my nieces and nephew did the scout/guide thing my kids didn't. I was in a church youth group as a teen and had the opportunity to have a lot of fun outdoor experiences which I would have missed otherwise. My take is that some kids get enough from their families, but there is a need in society for less fortunate kids to have better experiences.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.