Agnostic.com

354 20

For atheists - what makes you believe no deity exists?

I became an agnostic because, from my perspective, there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not. I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.

Alright, shoot. 🙂

RYSR10 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

354 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe that their are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamed of in religious philosophy. Currently, I have come to the belief that this reality, and everything that I perceive within it, spring from the infinite singularity that is my consciousness.

Not sure what you mean but Sam Harris might be talking about the same thing, he said
"consciousness is not in your head, your head is in consciousness".

I don't believe he doesnt exist. there is just no evidence for his existence.

Great quesiton. Looking at all the responses there's a lot of common threads here. Where's the proof?

Atheism means you don't have a belief in God, not that you know one doesn't exist.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

Show me the proof

I don't believe no deity exists, as I'm an Atheist. An Atheist simply lacks a belief in things where the evidence is lacking, like Leprechauns, Santa Claus, and god.

I'm a newly turned agnostic and triggered by the same thought as yours. I don't believe there is no god, I'll place my bets that there is one.

But since he made us as a creature of free will, think of it from this angle- the moment he chooses to reveal himself, the whole notion of free will becomes invalid. In order to keep the status "free", god must be a silent observer only. No interference, no contacts, no nothing.

This for me solves the dilemma rather peacefully. If God wanted to contact/instruct us, there are literally endless means (rather than the traditional bullshits we currently see in societies). At the same time, this also spares us from the stupid question of disproving God's existence.

The Universe does operate under rules and fundamental laws.  What is their origin?
weldy Level 4 Nov 15, 2018

Simply, since NO-ONE has ever, can ever show undeniable Proof Positive that ANY Supreme Deity/God has ever existed or exists except in the minds of those who choose to believe/think that it SHOULD ergo, " If it walks like a Duck, Quacks like a Duck then it must be, logically a Duck," so it goes for God/Gods and religion in my opinion.
Plus, after studying Theology and Comparative Modern Religions and gaining my ThD ( Doctorate in the same as an Atheist with an open mind) realising that all religions are merely conjectures and philosophies ( Theosophies is the term I prefer to apply to them) are utterly incapable of withstanding any examination/s using simple reasoning and logic and that they also follow the ages old formula of " When inventing/creating a Deity/Deities one must first remember to create such as being Invisible, Intangible, Unimpeachable, contain all of the traits of human kind, both good and bad, be controlling and demanding, dictatorial and assumedly kind, caring and benevolent as well as being miserly, tight-fisted and completely ambivalent and ambiguous."

Simple common sense and lifelong observation of people and their need to belong to something. I think godd and religions are an inevitable result of intellect combined with that need.

So, agnostic by itself is a bit of a useless term for me. It says nothing of what you actually believe/are convinced of. For example, there are people who do and do not believe in a god or gods, yet understand they don't know for certain. So, under the general agnostic label, all these people with mutually exclusive beliefs would be in the same category... making it utterly useless. This gets especially tricky when you realize it is epistemologically impossible to prove a negative. So if you only use the agnostic label, then people would have to be agnostic on everything that has not yet been proven true. Once again, this does nothing to separate those who believe in said thing vs those who don't.

This is why I prefer the dual system and classify myself as an agnostic atheists. I don't believe there is a god or gods because I have not been convinced of such. Just like I do not believe in pixies, warlocks or fire breathing dragons for the same reason. I understand I don't have all the answers, but withhold belief until the burden of proof is met to my satisfaction

Evolution has no place for a god. What would the purpose be except for the purpose man gives it. The evidence isn't to prove there isn't a god. The evidence is there to prove there is a god for whoever wants to believe in that sort of insanity. I'm not anybody with a label attached to me. I'm sane not insane.

I am happy to be agnostic thanks to reason, and atheist by belief, and I do not find the two at odds. But it all depends how you define the words, and I am not interested if anyone else wants to redefine my words for me.

I think the question is set up incorrectly. I don't "believe" there are no gods. I simply lack belief and any gods. My atheism isn't an assertion but rather a rejection of the claim that others make. No belief required.

Hypothesis, thesis, antithesis, synthesis. The proper methodology. Atheism is based on scientific thinking, not on any kind of belief.

zesty Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

I know I'm not answering your question but I would only like to agree with you. Michio Kaku had said something along the lines of what you state of how their is no evidence to prove or disprove God but rather more scientific evidence is needed to evaluate the creation of our universe and how it came to be.

I don't believe in god for the same reason I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny, or any other magical fantasy creatures -- they're simply not real. I don't even need empirical evidence to know that Humpty-Dumpty isn't real, he just isn't because reality, logic, and reason. There are no egg-beings just as there are no all-powerful magical super-beings in the sky.

That said, if anyone does come forth with truly compelling proof that, say, Santa Claus is real then I'll stipulate the possibility of god....and the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny too for that matter.

I stopped believing because of the ridiculousness of the claims by the bible. Simple as that. Commenting on anything else is really just extracurricular activity.

The question is a poor question. I am an atheist and do not believe no deity exists. I just have a lack of belief in gods but this does not mean I presume no deity exists. It is possible a deity exists.

There is no evidence that supports the existence of a deity or deities. Every piece of evidence that has been presented has been derived from ancient writings from Ignorant nomads.

Well the modern sense of an omnipotenet deity existing is impossible to boot

okay, not trying to be funny, but you said you think atheism is based more on belief than evidence, then went on to state that you think much evidence indicates there is no god. can you reconcile that contradiction for me?

All religions have a creation story. Evolution makes a nonsence of creation. Deities existence is built on the premise that these creation stories are true.

As for the higher power. Well maybe one day science will be able to explain that to.

Logic.

You must prove your bullshit fantasy exists, until and unless you do, it's fiction.
I do not have to disprove the negative condition of your non-existent fantasy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.