Agnostic.com

354 20

For atheists - what makes you believe no deity exists?

I became an agnostic because, from my perspective, there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not. I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.

Alright, shoot. 🙂

RYSR10 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

354 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For believers whats makes you think any diety does exist. Disregard any single point in the theist paradigm and the who paradigm falls apart

It's the word "belief" that I think needs to be addressed. We don't "believe" that nothing exists. I don't "believe" that no Santa, Easter Bunny, unicorns... exist. I simply take the null hypothesis.

We believe in things because we don't have evidence for them. I don't believe that the earth is round... I don't have to. I don't believe that water boils at roughly 212 degrees (depending on elevation), it just does. I don't "believe" I can fly or "believe" I can touch the sky. Simply because, if I spread my wings to fly away... I'd be dead.

So this isn't about belief. If someone asks me if I "believe" in the possibility of God, I would say "yes." I reasonably acknowledge that there is no evidence for a God, and assume for now that there is no God. But I also see something beyond me that I don't understand, and so I create "beliefs" about that... knowing that beliefs are present in the lack of evidence. IF evidence ever shows up to verify a god, then I'll no longer need to believe.

"what makes you believe no deity exists?"
This is a poorly framed question based upon a misunderstanding of Atheism and an assumption that disbelief is needed.

God is a fantastic claim. A supernatural being, we cannot see, touch or test for in any way, nonetheless controls the very universe.

When someone, anyone makes a fantastic claim, it is upon the claimant to provide proof of that claim.

An argument is not Proof.
It is not evidence either, it is a rational argument.

See if you can follow along.
YOU say "Hey Dave, I got a new car."
"What did you get?"
"A Lamborghini."
"WHAT!? BS, your full of shit! Where is it?"

NOW, if it is parked outside or at your home and you roar up in the beast, then I eat Crow.
"Damn. I did not believe you. I apologize. Can I have a ride?"

You have now "proven" your Lamborghini (A fantastic claim for most folks)

It is not possible for you to do the same with your God idea, because it is a supernatural idea and we live in a natural world.

So, the impetus will always be the claimant to prove an impossibility.
Were anyone to somehow prove the supernatural it would instantly cease to be supernatural and become just another natural thing, an unknown now known, an anomaly solved. Not magic, not Zeus hurling thunderbolts, just a thunderstorm caused by pressure and heat and moisture.

It is not necessary for me to disbelieve in God, that would require a PROVEN God, which I then refused to actively believe in.
Because people of faith are convinced by the emotive argument of the tales they see that AS evidence, as proof, as God being Proven, and hence we are wretched unbelievers for refusing to see what is right in front of our eyes.
While we point and laugh and say "The Emperor has no clothes!"

No dis-belief is required.

Rather we are unconvinced.

For the same reasons I don't believe Bigfoot, mermaids, leprechauns, unicorns, or dragons exist. There's no evidence that they do. That's plenty of evidence for me not to believe something exists.

For me it comes down to the question of what is a reasonable belief.. Why one thing warrants more credibilty than another, The answer lies in the mathematical law of probability based on the scientfic method, the search for empirical evidence which pretty much eliminares blind faith, It's just that simple.

The evidence suggests that man created god rather than god created man. It looks like a made up character like Superman etc. I don't believe in a god for the same reasons I don't believe in Superman. Am I being unreasonable in my disbelief in Superman?

Everyone is born agnostic. There's a reason that religious indoctrination begins before children can read or have the capacity to ask relevant questions. I was brought up in a non-religious environment. It just wasn't an issue.

I don't believe because I was never instructed to.

I consider myself lucky that I didn't have to go through all that and fight my way out the other side, alienating friends and family in the process.

You are trying to shift the burden of proof, classic mistake

Think of it like a court case, Atheists 'the jury' find the defendant 'God' not guilty of existing or..... in other words the prosecution 'theists' have not proven thier case. Why isnt it the other way round you ask? Because we 'Atheists' are not making the assertion of existance.

It amazes me the amount of people who struggle with this, but hey ho

Atheism is not ‘the belief that god(s) do not exist’.
Atheism is ‘not believing claims made stating that god(s) exist’.

I do not have a belief that god(s) are nonexistent, I just do not believe the claims made by others that their god(s) do exist.

Wrong wording I do not 'believe' that no deity exists as there is no evidence for a belief of that kind. My unbelief is of no importance to me at all it is a non subject . You say 'there isnt enough evidence' There is NO evidence and - To make the point once and for all there is nothing to believe.there is a story - There are many many stories do you think Heidi exists or Tom Sawyer? I am totally uninterested in gods

If there really was a god or deity, why is the world in such fucked up mess?

we all know a guy in charge who is as much use as a chocolate teapot!

I’m an atheist because I don’t believe that anything supernatural exists. I was raised a Christian and was very religiously active in my teens, but I was also very curious and love to read. I’m also highly logical. I started out looking to support my religious beliefs and found they were consistently unsupported by evidence and logic. One day I just got to the point where I had to admit I just didn’t believe any of it was true. I went through an agnostic phase first, but I’ve been atheist for at least 10 years and it feels honest. As a side note, I’d encourage agnostics to read about probability. I think there’s often acceptance of the possibility of gods as meaning that their existence is likely enough for us to take seriously. The same goes for isolated examples of the “unexplained.” But to each her own.

If you don't live your life under the belief that there is a personal and interacting god, you are an atheist. Lacking theist belief is all it means.

When it comes to the God of the Christian Bible, I am utterly certain that he does not exist. On that score, I am a gnostic atheist. Is there some creator god that put it all in motion and walked a way? I have no reason to suspect such, so I don't actively believe it. But I couldn't disprove it. For that definition of god I'm an agnostic atheist.

And when I say the Judeo-Christian God cannot exist, it is very simple. The revelation is utterly bogus. The key story is Moses. He receives the original revelation including the Law and brings the Jewish people to Land. Only none of that happened. There was no Exodus. There was no wandering in the desert for 40 years. No conquering of Canaan either. It's not just that we lack evidence for those stories, we have well documented "other" histories that know really did happen.

These are matters of mundane history. They are utterly excluded from possibility. They have been for decades now.

I cannot be expected to believe a genuine revelation was received during a period of fictional history. Whoever Jesus was, if he existed at, he certainly wasn't the Son of God. And his words, regardless of actual origin, betray no awareness that Moses and Exodus were fiction. Further, no name appears more frequently in the Koran that Musa (Moses).

It isn't just a ridiculous Genesis. The whole founding story is a farce.

As an atheist I don't "believe" anything. I see atheism and agnosticism as being on two separate spectra. Agnosticism vs Gnosticism has to do with whether you think the the existence or nonexistence of God is knowable. Atheism vs Theism has to do with whether or not you have belief in the existence of any god or gods. Atheism and Agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive. I'm both.

I don't think I've ever seen absolute proof of any viewpoint. Evolution is not a belief, it's a fact, but it doesn't necessarily disprove religion. That said, there is plenty of evidence that seems to support the non-existence of a sentient creator/god, in my opinion.

1. There are little to no examples of 'fairness' or 'justice' in the world that is not created by human societies, despite all the talk of reward and punishment in most religious doctrine. I think maybe the reason people are so attached to their religious beliefs is because the idea of being able to bargain with or appeal to an all-powerful sentient being gives us a sense of control over all of the unfortunate stuff that happens in life. Point is, either an all-powerful god doesn't care about his creatures in the slightest or a caring god is powerless to help.
  2. There are countless examples of things that science can predict the outcome of with extreme accuracy, (ie the outcome of a chemistry 'experiment', physics equations, the way specific microbes will reproduce). This is certainly not true of religion. It has never accurately predicted anything that I know of.
  3. With everyone killing and condemning everyone else over the debate, why wouldn't he/she just duck its head out for a minute and give us the answers? Why would he/she only send messages through humans, who are so flawed according to religion?

Atheism doesn't claim there are no gods. Atheism is a lack of belief in any gods. You can't prove there are no gods any more than you can prove there isn't a teapot orbiting Mars, but most sane people lack a belief in an orbiting teapot, or in gods.

Let's start with this: God makes Adam out of dirt. Then he makes Eve out of a rib. But he has to rape a virgin to make jesus?

Then let's look at the reality of the story. God gave man sin, the punished him to death and hell for the sin he gave them, then raped a girl himself to make himself inside the raped girl so he could sacrifice himself to himself to absolve you of the sin he gave you, then didn't absolve the sin he gave you.

Of course there was the Zombie King jesus himself who was premeditated murdered by himself, then rotted for 3 days before waking back up to go hang out at a bar with his buddies and laugh it up before disappearing for good. This zombie king tells you that all you have to do is telepathically promise to be besties with him and you can have a permanent sleep-over.

All this because ancient Arab goat herders wrote a book about themselves calling themselves the chosen people and the special ones in their own book, then made up a big story about how hundreds of thousands of them were slaves that fled oppressive Egypt and it didn't hurt the Egyptian economy in the slightest. (They're also the people who cried victim because of the holocaust, then proceeded to do the exact same thing that was done to them to the Palestinians because 6,000 years ago the Palestinians, formerly known as the Philistines, had a giant who beat them up).

Add to that the bible has dragons, unicorns, demons, satyrs, talking snakes, behemoths, cockatrice, 7-headed sea monsters wearing crowns...none of which has any proof of actually existing. It DOESN'T have any dinosaurs, which has millions of fossils to prove they existed.

If, after all that, you believe the story of god that you are told, you've not just drank the koolaid, you've drown in it.

Oh, not to mention there are over 3000 active religions on the planet, and all but YOURS is a lie. If they ask how I know theirs is a lie, I'll just tell them I used the same method they used to determine every other religion was a lie.

The drkening in Kook-aide started in my mother’s womb. If you haven’t survived the incessant indoctrination such information as you noted above is difficult to grasp yet wonderful when comprehension breaks through at last!

I'm not fuking delusional

Why are churches destroyed by earthquakes and volcanoes?

The lack of proof. Every time I hear a theist say this proves God's existence I can easily explain why this isn't so. My favorite: a woman breaks down with a flat tire on the highway and a young man stops to help her. She later states her angel was there to guide her today. NO! a nice young man stopped to help you. Give credit where credit is due.

Common sense and knowing human behavior. Humans lie, cheat and steal because of greed, and religion is a tool that is very effective for those ends.

I believe that no God exists because of the Bible with all of its absurdities and condemnations to death of so many people : babies (1st born of Egypt); the Flood (all life on earth except a few) ; cities burned to the ground; LGBTQ persons; etc.

Agreed. This disqualifies Yahweh but what bout Thor? Zeus? and the thousands of other gods? I'll stick to no testable evidence to support the existence of any god as all religions must use "Faith" (belief without evidence) to assert their gods existence.

I feel like use of language is really important for something like this because I don't so much believe there is no god, but rather don't believe one exists. I see myself as someone looking for what's true. After spending a lot of time involved with Christianity, I came across atheists online and they spoke a lot of sense to me. Over time I continued to hear the same arguments from religious people and it more or less solidified my stance, not in a sense where I'm unwilling to change my position given the evidence for the claim, but that I find it highly unlikely the evidence I seek for that claim will ever be presented. Nobody will know for sure, I just use Occam's razor to justify my stance.

What makes people believe there is a god? An old book that everyone knows has been changed, adapted, voted on and rewritten by slick con men and hucksters? Brainwashed parents shoving the beliefs down their children's throats before they are able to reason? Fear of death? The unholy arrogance of small minds that want to believe they are special and above other animals in the grand scheme of things?

fantasy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.