Agnostic.com

354 20

For atheists - what makes you believe no deity exists?

I became an agnostic because, from my perspective, there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not. I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.

Alright, shoot. 🙂

RYSR10 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

354 comments (351 - 354)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

no evidence and most of it makes no sense at all.

Science can't tell us but I would like to know what caused nothing to explode and create everything........because if there is nothing it can't explode !!!!! So what makes more sense.....nothing created everything or some supreme being created everything ????

There's never been any evidence of a "supreme being" there is evidence of an expanding universe, so to me the Big Bang wins hands down.

Honestlyspeaking stop spewing that nonsense that "Science can't tell us". Just because you haven't bothered investigating beyond your own understanding, doesn't mean Science hasn't delivered plausible explanations beyond your god.

Our universe was born from the Big Bang. Prior to the Big Bang, our Universe existed as a point of spacetime singularity. A singularity is a location in spacetime where the gravitational field of a body in space becomes infinite. Objects in space with sufficient gravity do in fact bend space-time. The more the gravity a celestial body has, the more significant the "bend". Think of it like a tennis ball on a piece of fabric represents our sun. But a bowling ball on the same fabric represents a black hole. The more gravity, the greater the bend in the fabric, in this case of space-time. The "bottom" of the black hole reduces all matter to a point of singularity which is infinite. Eventually, the density and thermal energy inside the point of singularity grows beyond the gravity of the black hole itself. And then boom.
Centuries ago it was considered ridiculous that there was another world beyond the planet Earth. 200 years ago we just began catching glimpses of other planets and predicting their orbital patterns. It seemed arrogant to think that we were the only kids on the block. Then in 1929, Edwin Hubble discovered Andromeda which forever changed out understanding of the Cosmos. The idea that the Milky Way Galaxy was the Universe was shattered. Now, 89 years later it is becoming ridiculous to think that ours is the only Universe. Read below on evolving ideas of Black Holes, Singularity, and the Big Bang.
Yes, it is a highly technical, scientific article that many may struggle to understand. But just because one can't understand something doesn't mean it's not true. Your original claim that "Science can't tell us" is bunk. Science is telling us, just because you a) don't want to hear it, or b) can't understand it doesn't mean god did it. The "Science can't tell us" introduction to a statement or question is code for, "I don't bother investigating this myself because I lack the education, and understanding to be able to do so. Therefore, magical Sky daddy did it, or I'm going to make a claim about which I have little scientific understanding."

God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance

[arxiv.org]

Reasoning, Logic, Scientific Facts that are proven with copious amounts of irrefutable evidence, Archaeological Evidence, ALL of which religions either CANNOT produce or are COMPLETELY unable/ unwilling to produce and have examined, tried and tested under Empirical methodologies.

You can't prove a negative but as many have already pointed out, there's no evidence that such an entity exists. But to be fair, we can't even perceive most of the universe: dark matter and energy anyone?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.