Agnostic.com

10 1

Is this a dating site?

Originally when I joined this site I saw it as a sounding board for people who left religion. Recently my girlfriend saw the site and asked why I was on a dating site. What do you think this site is about?

• 0 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 42 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 3 votes
ScubaWags 7 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Asking if Agnostic is a dating site or a community site is very much like asking if light is a wave or a particle. The answer is yes.

Jnei Level 8 Dec 30, 2018

That’s as well crafted a poll as I’ve responded to 🙂 Tell your GF ‘you’re right,’ and that you’re a keeper ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 30, 2018

There are only five women my age who are listed as living in my area and one of them has been off the site for several months and another has been gone for over a year. No real options on here until the local pool of members my age doubles or triples. Not likely since no new women my age have joined in the last 12 months.

It's a social place for nonbelievers, which concentrates the nonbelievers so that dating among them becomes more of a possibility than out in the real world, perhaps. Both date seekers and those not seeking dates are welcome here.

Zster Level 8 Dec 30, 2018

Although I have a few crushes, (here's looking at you, @GuyKeith), there are no men in my age group who live near me.

I love Agnostic.com because of the intelligent, warm, caring, thoughtful and funny members. It's a joy to read and reply to posts by like-minded people.

With 3/4 of American men overweight or obese (and 2/3 of women), my chances of finding a mate are getting slimmer (har) every day.

I applaud that you are open about not wanting to date someone overweight, but if a man says the same thing, I bet he will get bashed for being shallow or worse, even tho that is how most men feel.

@TomMcGiverin She did give the percentages … and ‘we’re ahead’ 😀

This site works fine as a dating site because it doesn't focus on all the usual dating site bullshit of endless profile questions, matching algorithms, compatibility percentages, etc... This site gives people a place to gather, chat, and connect organically. I've been here since August and have been active enough in the community to have gotten to know a lot of people here.

Even though I haven't personally met anyone, I know enough from my interactions to know who people are, what their personalities are, their likes, dislikes, sense of humor, all the stuff I'd need to know to determine for myself who I'd approach for a date if I were looking for one.

I learned all this just by interacting with them over time and, what a shock, that works better than an algorithm or data mining.

...and it's FREE!

Well put ..as usual ~

Who knows?

I enjoy the community here. I've also had the opportunity to date a couple very nice men. It's what you make of it.

my answer is not in the poll so i cannot vote. said answer is: "it is what you make of it."

g

It's billed as a dating site...but in reality very little 'dating' goes on here. I think that is b/c of the way the site is organized and constructed. Plus there is a sister site that it shares members and posts with...so not sure if one was community and the other dating,and they just ended up morphing into the same thing or what...

The rest of us are dating heaps. Can't think what's happening with you mate.

@MsDemeanour Maybe because I live in a small town in Bible Belt Christian Country, and the closest person on this site to me is over an hour away. Plus..I don't date 'heaps'...I only date people that I find attractive emotionally, intellectually, and physically; not a player or gold digger.

@maturin1919 b/c from my experience and from what I've heard others share, not many people are having luck on here finding dating partners. Granted, maybe I'm wrong...but if you want to 'date' most everyone I have encountered has agreed something like POF or Match is a much better option. Esp like you said, it's a somewhat small community, and many of those are here for 'community only'

@maturin1919 I didn't know about humanist.com . I like the philosophy in theory but as Twain is said to have quoted "the more I learn about people, the more I like my dog"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254870
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.