Agnostic.com

42 1

What do you believe in?

I've been asked by many people who believe in a higher power or a God what I believe in. I ask all of you, what do you believe in?

• 1 vote
  • 18 votes
  • 39 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 4 votes
Occgenius 5 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't believe in anything, I either know things or I don't know them, things are true or they are not true, currently possible or currently impossible. Occasionally I will trust in my judgement or assessment of the trustworthiness or motives of another, but that is as close to belief as I will admit to.
I can speculate as to potential truths and facts, I can envision progress.
As words Belief and Faith have become too corrupted to be of use to the rational mind.

@Salvz Nothing like dualism, not sure where you are getting that from.

Science

"I believe in miracles!"

I don't like any of your choices. How about the choice "reality?"

I believe I'll have another coffee.

I prefer to use the words “accept as true” vs “believe. But I care a lot about words and how they are used.

Lilie Level 6 Jan 11, 2019

Forgot the most important: "Nothing"

Empirical Proof and documented, tried and tested Evidence, that completely leaves out any notions/ideas of a Deity/Deities, Spirituality, Heaven, Hell, Jesus Christ and everything religious.

I hold lots of opinions...but are they beliefs? Can’t really say I believe in anything, unless there is evidence as proof, and then it becomes fact not belief.

Every single time.

Nothing! I value knowledge not beliefs. Resting on one's beliefs is a sign of laziness and/or fear of being wrong.

Honestly, what is the value of belief without a cogent argument to defend it?

Buxx Level 7 Jan 11, 2019

@maturin1919 Incorrect to believe means to accept as true without investigation, evidence, or proof, the only thing worse is Faith which is to accept something as true in spite of investigation providing a lack or contrary to evidence, truth or proof.

@maturin1919 No because if you believe something WITH evidence you don't believe it you KNOW it.

I believe in ME, and I believe in YOU. I believe in a round earth, the moon in the sky, a dog, a cat, a fish, a cow, the dirt, and my coffeepot. I believe in my interpretation of love.

In a sense, I have Humanist traits, because I believe that humans have the capability of doing good things when they apply themselves properly. I'm optimistic and prefer positivity.

I believe I'll have another drink

Have one for me...dry January grrrr

If by believe you mean the acceptance that a statement is true, then I believe in many things, even seemingly contradictory things. And those beliefs can change based on changing circumstances or additional knowledge. So I guess I believe it is important to have an open mind.

Love, trust and the desire to just be a part of your life. The best of humanity comes from something that’s not technically a human and yet we believe that they need to learn from us

Are those Corgis? They melt my heart?! love dogs more than human babies.

@Jaed Yes they are and up top is our shitzu and rottadore ?

I believe in reality using logic and evidence. Nothing supernatural and nothing speculative. If you have an idea that you think might be true, prove it.

You missed ‘science’ off the list.

Odd, that.

I do quite well just believing in my own powers.. I know my limits and I am not afraid to ask for help when necessary.

What, no love?

skado Level 9 Jan 11, 2019

@MissKathleen
It’s at least one of my answers. ?

When it comes to religion, I don’t think that belief of any kind is the appropriate reaction. More apt would be a sense of deep awareness and awe for the staggering implications of existence and the profound mystery of reality and consciousness awareness.

I know, I know, the above paragraph is a statement of belief. Hmm... maybe there are different kinds of belief. Someone help me.

You’re right. The word “belief” has more than one meaning.

in the sense of a religious belief, nothing. in a practical sense, i believe my guy loves me, and i believe a good number of things that require long explanations and are subject to revision with the advent of new information. i believe my right to swing my arm ends where your nose begins, and vice versa, but if i was in the middle of a shooting war and i knew someone was about to shoot me if i didn't shoot first, that belief might not apply just then. i believe donald trump is a horror. i can't even imagine any new information that would change that belief. i have too much information already in favor of my current assessment.

g

Does Donald Trump really exist then ? I thought he was just something you Americans made up.

@Fernapple I wish.

@Fernapple i have been told i am a creative person but i do not write horror so i know i did not make trump up. if i didn't know he was real i would think he was too evil to exist. even hitler actually believed in what he was doing, evil as that was. trump doesn't believe in any of it, except as it pertains to his own personal comfort.

g

@genessa I made the funny of course because it does sometimes, at least from here, seem that Trump is more like a Walt Disney creation than anything else. Yet I have always though that there were two sorts of evil doing people. The Hitler type who may be mad and quite without compassion, but who really believe that what they do is for the best. And the Stalin type who know that they do harm, but still keep doing it anyway, because they are content to be selfish.

I hope you slept well last night and that I did not contribute to keeping you up too much.

@Fernapple lol i slept badly as usual but you were not the least bit responsible for that. oddly enough, what i see and say here does not get carried away from the computer. i am sure there could be exceptions but so far.... no. now if you (or anyone) phoned me at some ungodly hour (such as before noon) i'd be furious! no matter what time it was, it would be just as i was finally drifting off, you know? (and it's usually a recording, or a scammer, or a recorded scammer!)

g

"I think (badly) therefore I am." The rest is either evidence or BS.

But why ask such a question on a site like this ?

Abandon?

Yah, I don't get that either

nihilism perhaps

The cycle of life, mother nature. When we are long gone the earth will cleanse it's self and life will continue without us. In the grand scheme of things, we humans are pretty insufficient.

At this point, nothing

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:263162
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.