Agnostic.com

51 5

Would you deny someone a date if they were wearing something you didn't like?

To what extent does fashion matter?

For example, a person asks you on a date. They're wearing a t-shirt with something you hate on it.

Would you reject their offer on that premise? I might ask if it's laundry day or if they borrowed that shirt! hahaha.

silvereyes 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends... T-shirt with F-bombs at Target? Yeah, you probably lack too much empathy and consideration for the feelings of others to be someone to whom I'd be interested in getting close. Same T-shirt at a bar? No problem. I'd ask.

Always wearing overly formal clothes, regardless of the situation? Likewise always wearing sloppy clothes? There is probably something psychological going on.

Generally I don't assume that I can know exactly what is going on unless I ask--and not even necessarily then, because people aren't always truthful. Like maybe your "Bob Jones University" ball cap came from a thrift store and you have no idea what it represents. There are some obvious deal breakers, though--like the swastika.

As it has never happened to me I think that I would regard it as one-off and I would not be easily put off by her dress code. The person may be someone you have liked or admired for a while, someone who on the grapevine is great conversationalist. Where there is a great personality and character appearance becomes a trivial matter to me.

No! I am quite aware my taste in clothing is horrible so I would assume everyone else thought they looked great.

i was just reminded of an incidence with my ex-hubby, where i was going to wear a t-shirt, advertising the stage play "the VAGINA monologues". i am not opposed to provoke occasionally, & besides, we lived - & i still live - in a community of raised tolerance. but he wouldn't have it: "i won't go out with you like this". so i said i'd go out anyway. he went, got a marker & came back, wearing a t-shirt that said: "PENIS". i said: "ok, let's go." you bet, he didn't. i divorced him.

if someone came to a first date in 1960s dralon trousers &/or a non-iron nylon shirt i'd have a hard time not to spew my dandy latte over him.

Now im debating on whether or not i'd go on a date with someone who was wearing a shirt that said I'm With Stupid, i mean id like the shirt...but then i'd be stupid

Like say, a swastika?

Yes not a fan of strap-ons .....

Once when I was 16, I made my Jamaican boyfriend go home and change because he was wearing a polo-neck shirt - that's a cotton shirt with buttons up the back and a dog collar (although I've only just realised the connection! - it was high fashion at the time). The fact that this involved a bus ride home and back for him didn't deter me (or him) - I waited a long time for he to come back, and then we went on the date!

If I was on a blind date and the person showed up in GOP or Trump-themed clothing of any kind, I would say that something came up, apologize, and say I had to go. If they asked for an explanation I'd just say that, going by your clothes, I don't think things would work out for us.

Then I'd leave. And block their number.

You can actually guess, to high accuracy, someone’s political leanings based on their apparel. If they’re far right, I’m less interested. I have been proven wrong before, so I wouldn’t write anyone off at first look.

Marz Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

Obviously it depends on why you dislike it. Some things like music preference versus major shit like a klan cowl vary the response.

I mean unless its like super offensive then no it doesn't matter. When I go on a date I tend to focus on the person and not what they look like or what they want you to see. I usually look for where they want to go with their life. Ambitions and goals are usually the deciding factors for me.

Ya'll already covered anything I could think of. 👍

I would deny her a date if she wore a tounge or nose piercing of any sort. If she wore anything showing support for Trump. Outside of that, there may be other things that would turn me off. But I can live with a lot of things despite them.

I like to date people who are at least close to being like minded. You don't have to be an atheist, but maybe have questions about it. If he were to wear a "Jesus is Lord" t-shirt I would have to excuse myself and run out the door. I'm pretty set in my ways, and I'm just stubborn enough and independent enough not to tolerate things I'm against. I'm in no way desperate, I've been single forever. I don't see settling now!

Off topic, but your "Jesus is Lord" comment reminded me of my ex-brother-in-law. He would go buy crack cocaine wearing a "Jesus Saves" shirt. I pissed him off once when he proclaimed he was delivered from his sins by asking him how many times does he need to be delivered for it to actually work.

If someone gave me a "Jesus is Lord" T-shirt for free I'd probably wear it LOL

When I first moved into my apartment 3 years ago, I went shopping for a shower curtain for my guest bathroom. I found this one that had all the right colors and beatiful pattern. The picture on the package was very small, but it looked just perfect to me. When I actually hung it up, I saw it was full of praise god and he is my savior writings on it. I couldn't make that out when I bought it. But, it is still just the right colors and a beautiful pattern. So, it's hanging in my guest bathroom. It makes me laugh evertime I go in there!

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that irony provoked their fashion choice. But if it were something that required commitment and seemed impractical to me I'd be going through some cost/benefit analysis. EG: excessive body piercing, lip and ear disks.

I am not Religious, don't judge people by their clothing.????

If you are that obsessed up in fashion then you have defined your priorities and stick with what is important to you but I think that you are probably a pretty shallow person.

I have thought about this and although I buy my shirts and t-shirts at goodwill I don't buy them that have messages that I don't like.

I wouldn't deny the date. You can't judge a book by its cover, and you can't judge a human based on one outfit.

It could be an interesting jumping off point for a discussion that reveals the true colors of the wearer, though, so after dinner conversation could be rather heated. You could discover that it was worn as a joke. You could discover that it was worn with sincerity to reflect who they are, but they are absolutely wonderful in every other way. Or, you could discover that they're an asshole.

If the date goes well, and there is another and another, it is proven that we start taking on traits of those we spend time with. They might begin to dress more like you and you might begin, ever so slightly to dress more like them, and live happily ever after. Or not.

Yep and out of respect I won't elaborate. You can guess.

SamL Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

If the one asking me out is wearing a T Shirt with the Che Guevara face I most certainly won't date him.

Clothing and fashion is a very personal thing, if you respect the individual, you accept how they dress.

Oh come now...if they were the dreamboat of your dreams, you would not give a rip! If you were that physically attracted to them, you would not care what they wore...who are we kidding here?

I'm not a fan of tucked in shirts -- unless with a suit. If casual clothes, untucked, please.

That said, I wouldn't reject somebody for only that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26369
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.