5 0

Why does justice exist?

• 5 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 10 votes
Beowulfsfriend 9 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd argue all of the above. Humanity couldn't coperate and thrive without morality in general. Even if giving is its own reward, people want the reward; same variable, different object of it. The government definitely abuses the concept of justice which ultimately, only bears as much tangibility as there are people to have second thoughts before doing something questionable.

There is no justice. Just him.

My first husband's friend drew him and I used to work with his sis...weird

@Amisja excuse me... Having a fanboy moment...

@MrBeelzeebubbles I know right...I have very few claims to fame. But knowing Mathew Smith is one. I did also go to a party at Michael Hutchin's house in the NTs in Hong Kong.

@Amisja Hong Kong Britts, hmmm. We, my ship's soccer team, beat the Hong Kong British Navy's team. They took back their offer to have us join them for drinks.

@Beowulfsfriend I lived in HK for nearly 4 years. Loved it

who says it exists?

g

Socrates

@Beowulfsfriend yep but he had issues.

g

I think many incorrectly correlate "Justice" with punishment. It is not.
Justice is essentially fair treatment of members in a society.
The world over, the terms of what constitutes fairness differs, is debated about, and changes over time.
However it's main concept remains the same.

Punishment exists for the selfish indulgence of an individual to feel vindicated -or- to feel morally superior.
Justice however, ensures that those who don't deserve punishment won't receive one unfairly; according to that culture/country's laws.

Is there a point to be made here?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:263772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.