Agnostic.com

39 16

The Multiple Intelligences Theory: What types fit you best? Least?

Teachers have to learn about Gardner's Multiple Intelligences Theory. It's supposed to help identify the many ways in which students learn.

In what ways do you learn best? What's your weakest point?

Developed by Harvard psychologist Howard Gardner in 1983 and subsequently refined, this theory states there are at least seven ways ( “intelligences” ) that people understand and perceive the world. These intelligences may not be exhaustive. Gardner lists the following:

LINGUISTIC
The ability to use spoken or written words.

LOGICAL-MATHEMATICAL
Inductive and deductive thinking and reasoning abilities, logic, as well as the use of numbers and abstract pattern recognition.

VISUAL-SPATIAL
The ability to mentally visualize objects and spatial dimensions.

BODY-KINESTHETIC
The wisdom of the body and the ability to control physical motion.

MUSICAL-RHYTHMIC
The ability to master music as well as rhythms, tones and beats.

INTERPERSONAL
The ability to communicate effectively with other people and to be able to develop relationships.

INTRAPERSONAL
The ability to understand one’s own emotions, motivations, inner states of being, and self-reflection.

Two more I have seen added are:

Naturalist intelligence

Ability to recognize and categorize plants, animals and other objects in nature

Existential intelligence
Sensitivity and capacity to tackle deep questions about human existence such as, What is the meaning of life? Why do we die? How did we get here?

[edutopia.org]

[niu.edu]

silvereyes 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll have to give this some thought. I'm not sure I'm buying it. 😛

@evestrat Thank you! You just said everything I wanted to say but much better.

@evestrat How does academia regard the role of emotion in the context of learning? My own suspicion is that memory retention is enhanced when tied to strong emotions, and by extension that learning should be enhanced as well.

LINGUISTIC Easy for me.

LOGICAL-MATHEMATICAL Easy for me.

VISUAL-SPATIAL No sweat. Good at estimation.

BODY-KINESTHETIC Sometimes getting safely through a door is a challenge, so no.

MUSICAL-RHYTHMIC Me dancing = Is he ok? Is that a seizure? Also rarely able to name a song, pop culture reference, etc.

INTERPERSONAL Easy again, unless dancing or sports are involved.

INTRAPERSONAL Easy, except I am not so good at saying "No" and handling conflict. Getting better though.

Naturalist intelligence Soso. I could be better if I was more interested or needed this skill to survive. I do have a lot of medical and scientific trivia in my brain.

Existential intelligence Decent, but I don't do well arguing due to conflict. I do like to consider ideas a lot.

---- I feel like I have a much easier time learning than many people, and I am grateful for that skill. I think that there is a lot of effort to match different learning styles, but really we should be more concerned about the negative ones than just "one" positive one.

Linguistic.

Least is logical mathematica, best is interpersonal.

Silvereyes, you amaze me. 🙂

I'm starting to think that animals and plantlife are just as intelligent as humans , but just on a different wavelength. ...🙂

But, I am a tree hugger..
😉

they are and unlike humans fit there niche far better unless again humans have changed that like introducing feral animals.

LOGICAL-MATHEMATICAL I read financial statements and spreadsheets like other people read comic books, naturalist definitely but that is what I learned rather than something that came instinctively like maths,

Existential dilemmas on "Why", plagued my childhood, & early adult years , well into my 30's. To ask why , is to draw the conclusion that there is some sort of grand design, when in fact, there is none . When one realizes this , they will stop asking a question , that no one will answer . Horrible , Horrible , time in my life . I would spare it from anyone who would at least profess Agnosticism .

Dougy Level 7 Feb 20, 2018

Err... I am on my 24 hours without labels. Be back tomorrow.

Logical-mathematical Most
Musical Least

MikeJ Level 5 Feb 20, 2018

Logical mathematical suits me. A logical paradox is I am a punter as can mentally compute risk versus return

I'm good at all except naturalistic, body kinesthetic and musical rhythmic. I am genius at logical mathematical, visual spatial, linguistic, and interpersonal (99th percentile IQ, etc.). I see patterns and connections that others miss. I'm excellent at problem solving. I played the fixer for a major software company going into client sites and fixing the client relationship; project team structure, dynamics, and staffing; as well as software implementation, integration, and technical issues...

I'm not fully on board with this MI theory and its associated learning style theories. Apparently Gardner isn't either:

[washingtonpost.com]

@silvereyes Agreed.

I rely on the following learning styles depending on the topic i'm confronted with.

Logical
Musical
Kinesthetic
Interpersonal
Intrapersonal

I am definitely logical-mathematical since I am learning machine learning as a hobby. others might think I am nerdy but oh well. I see math like readers read its just fascinating to me.

@ShellyBean Yes the Brains learning potential is very drastic when it comes to learning. I am learning about it in my introduction to psychology class. You might try to learn it a different way next time. Or on the other hand, you could just talk to me and I could help you with anything you need math-wise.

Linguistic and musical are my strongest, followed by logical/mathematical. Work history makes me think i do ok at interpersonal.

Everything else, not so much.

Logical mathematical

I'm definitely an introvert: Logical-mathematical, Visual-spatial, Intrapersonal, Existential.
😛

I love language but I can't claim to be a linguistically gifted.

I love music, but I can't analyse music the same as I do the structure of film, story telling, characters, dialogue, etc. Also, I learned to read music when I was a child. But I could never express emotion through playing the piano. Reading music and playing it was always a process for me.

Body kinesthetic? I play sport and can read an opposition's "play" formulate. I can react to it and tell others in the team about it so that we can try to defuse it. I can analyse other sports so that I can find how another can appreciate it - even if I play or like that sport.

Interpersonal? Just in small groups. I don't like big groups - not because I don't like people. I just don't "get anything" from big groups. I find small groups more enjoyable because its more personal.

EDIT: By the way, this comment is based on my understanding that "intelligence" is an aptitude rather than quantifiable "knowledge" - if you know what I mean. E.g. I don't exactly know how scientists measured temperatures from before they started recording temperature, but I know that they used ice cores somehow.

the two ways of applying intelligence i am least confident with are the interpersonal & the musical-rhythmic. i am always for communicating what's going on, especially in a murky situation, but find that most people have blockages at certain points, from which they can't or won't go any further in explaining themselves. i am also quite unrhythmic, mainly bodily. but there's nothing wrong with my logical-mathematical, intrapersonal & the two added ways of intelligence! the rest is ok too.

I fall into more than one style or another. It isn't types of intelligence, too limited and you would have to add common sense versus various forms of knowledge. I am more verbal because I was raised where that was encouraged.And intellect is affected by environment in my opinion. I grew up in a mountainous area with several rivers, so I am more comfortable or relaxed in that type of situation. How is that intellectual?

LOGICAL-MATHEMATICAL. I still do that database programming thing.

I'm pretty good with all of them.

I remember this. Pairs well with a Gregoric assessment. Interpersonal or Existential high - linguist low.

Source:
jeffy Level 7 Feb 20, 2018

@silvereyes Like a Meyers-Briggs, but on 4 quadrants - Concrete, random, sequential, and abstract. Assessments establish learning style and relate to memory access/creation preference. I'm concrete sequential - I like to learn well defined things in order, while an abstract random person prefers a more of a global, top down approach in no particular order.

I tend toward the Visual-spatial. My question is what about you? You ask so many questions but where do you stand on some of them including this one?

I am a visual-spatial learner. Since I’ve been aware of learning modalities it has been quite clear.

I am definitely V/S and Linguistic.

I believe I only have 3: visual, body, and language after I learned to control my mouth. I can see the section of the page something was on when recalling the written word. Weird.

Might be eidetic memory.

A friend of mine recently said he has a faulty eidetic memory. It's a good description for people who "See the answer" in their head. I've had it happen often.

@RavenCT Interesting, thanks. More research 🙂

@EllenDale Alternate site name: "You should Google that!". 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26575
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.