Agnostic.com

29 1

Do you believe in destiny?

As it pertains to relationships, do you believe in destiny? That there is some force at work behind the scenes? Do you believe in some sort of higher power who puts people in your path for a reason? Or do you believe that, given our choice of free will, we are the makers of our own destiny?

LettingGo 3 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Death is the only destiny. Postpone as long as possible.

No, I don't believe in destiny, fate, fairies, trolls (except on the internet), gremlins, zombies or an unseen god. That's magical thinking.

If you believe in destiny, I have a waterfront lot in Florida you can buy.

you are my density

Randomness. That's what do believe. Not destiny or higher power. Life is random series of events.

Random events mixed with other's random events mixed with nature's random events.

Nerp.

Hell no.

OCJoe Level 6 Jan 15, 2019

Nope!

No. Life is random.
I don't believe in "destiny".

How would you tell? What would the test be for the destiny idea?
If 'A' happens then it was destined, else 'B' happens and it definitely wasn't.

As far as I have seen, the real world is the same for matters of the heart as for pretty much everything else. Everybody has to make their own choices and everyone gets their own results (whether the results were all under their control or not).

So far as I can tell, everyone should make their own decisions and accept whatever consequences (and credit) come. Do what you can but if the results fall outside your control, don't let them stop you next time.

yep, chaos theory.

No.

As unlikely as it was that we would meet ( if any of seventeen different things had been different, we wouldn't have ever come across each other) we still don't believe that any cosmic force guided our meeting despite how happy we've been together. Chance meetings happen all the time. Sometimes they lead to love, but most of the time they don't. If we're to take the one chance meeting that led to love and take it as evidence that the universe wanted us to fall in love, then we also have to believe that the universe wanted us to despise all of the rude people we've met by chance and it's pretty messed up for some cosmic power to waste it's energy on that.

No, we make our own destiny.

"Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!..." but no not really.

no

lerlo Level 8 Jan 15, 2019

No i don't . That would a diety exists. We all know there are no such thing as gods.

Not even a little or in any sense. Things seem to be much to random for that to be possible. I don't understand how people can believe in destiny. It's as if they have no experience or aren't perceiving things properly. I like to see things from other perspectives but trying to fathom. something like destiny just hurts my brain lol. I'm trying now and I actually feel physical discomfort doing so?

No. I think we make our own destiny. Some things are out of our control, but how we choose to respond to them makes all the difference.

Only that our actions over time make certain outcomes much mure likely.

No.

I believe we are the makers of our own destiny! But, it is born out of many environmental chances and brain development and DNA. I even believe we can change certain parts of our progressing destiny, sometimes in major ways.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:266736
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.