Agnostic.com

59 10

Weird?

So I went on a date with this guy and he told me that since by the age of 35 I had never been married and never had any kids that “people” would think there is something “wrong” with me. He was from the Deep South so I took that into account. Has anyone else ever been told that or does anyone agree with this thinking?

Susalou 4 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He's living in 1950.
No kids isn't weird.
Smoking cigarettes now; that is weird.

I'd say he was definitely a bit weird. I know women in their 70s who never married, either because they never found anyone they wanted to marry or simply because they never wanted to be married. Some of them had kids, some of them didn't for a variety of reasons, including not wanting to. They're all well-rounded, intelligent people who have lived lives according to their own wonts and values, so fair play to every one of them and fuck what society says they should have done.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 20, 2018

I mean I feel that way too. His comment caught me off guard.

I'm 30 and never getting married.

Yes. While I was in the Navy, I was treated like a deviant for never having been married at 40.

Your pattern is not the typical one, and tha probably frightens conformists. I don't judge people's choices unless unless the reasons are really weird.

There is nothing "wrong" with you... live by your own rules, not by others.

Times change, my mothers mother was only 36 years older than me. My kids are 31 and 33, single.
Only about a third of their peers are in relationships and / or had kids.

It's no good asking me, I've been married 4 times. Yes I am weird.

It's an old way of saying you're a lesbian

I have heard it before. It was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now.

...Do you WANT kids? There's no rule that says you have to have them. I think it's stupid for people to behave like you should. I wish the vast majority of humans would consider the fact that we have 8 billion already and we might be okay in giving that whole, 'breed like rats' thing a rest. Push back against that kind of bullshit pressure! Do you.

I pride myself on being weird so I’d take it as a compliment! ????

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I mean if you include being picky, then there is something "wrong" with all of us that are in our 30s while never married [and no kids]. I would be married this very second if I were willing to budge on the having kids thing, so when a girl sees me, she's right to think, "What's the catch? Why didn't anyone else scoop up this gorgeous, hilarious man who cooks like a chef and fucks like a rockstar?" 😛

Nah, he’s just an ass, trying to rush you to bed.

I don't agree with that type of thinking, but I think that's the consensus among all the zombies. Of course people who are married or in a relationship will think that people who aren't have something wrong with them past a certain age. It's kind of like the people who become rich and say YOU TO can become rich! You just have to work harder for it! It's your fault! What they don't also consider is that maybe it's the person's choice to remain single, or maybe they haven't found something close to what they're looking for and don't want to settle for something that will end in flames anyway or be miserable with someone who doesn't "get them", or maybe they attract a certain type of person that is detrimental to their health and on and on and on. It's none of their business really.

I've never been married or had kids. Some people think my life is over. I just find that attitude really sad.

Hmm, let's see...

People no longer have to get married. Equal rights, women's lib, and feminism mean that women can pursue education and careers, and do not need to be limited by traditional gender roles. Anyone--of any cultural inclination--who's had their head above sand can see that people are taking advantage of these opportunities, and societies have changed and continue to change. There is no shortage of people in the world at large: no one needs to breed. Women are having children later, or not at all. People are marrying later, or not at all, or not staying married.

Its a different world, like it or not. If you don't see that, you're too stupid for me. If you don't like women making choices that don't align with yours, you're too shitty for me.

In the old days they used the term spinster. This term had a lot of underlying meanings, like ugly, prude, man hater, and even harsher names like dyke. Everybody tried to get them married but stopped trying when they passed the golden age of 30. so by these standards you are hopeless. I have a friend who is now 83, never married and had a blast every day of her interesting life. Her laughter pierces walls. I don't think that marriage would have made her any happier. She has a busy love life, a busy cultural life, and many many friends.

Nothing wrong in living the way you elect to live.

I can imagine that being a practical issue in the Deep South and in rural areas broadly.

I think people should marry when they are ready and mature enough. They are usually convinced they're both, well before they are.

Some people should never marry. I suspect I am one of them. It's just that I figured it out way too late in life.

Marriage is overrated and our planet is overpopulated with humans. Your life belongs to you, not that conformist casting negative judgement on you. Fuck 'em.

Bull shit thinking. All individuals differ. You may be "weird" but not because of that. Personally I like weird people and feel complimented to be called one. It means simply, non conformist.

Out of curiosity, suppose he had been from NYC (so no southern excuse), and instead had just asked why you hadn't married yet. And suppose it was your first date / first time meeting. Would you have taken any offense to the question?

That’s not the case though. He went a way more ignorant route than your hypothetical.

@LarryY I know. That's why mine is hypothetical.

I'm not defending the guy. I'm just curious of what the OP or others think of the topic in general, and whether and when it's acceptable to ask.

@thinkr I think your hypothetical is way more respectful and acceptable. That’s my opinion.

Doh! NO!

Simple minded way of thinking. I'm from the Midwest, now living in DC metro area. There are certainly cultural norms that dictate many beliefs like that. As someone who is single again at the age of 36, my Midwest mom was worried about me finding someone. I had to remind her there are plenty of women out here at that age that have never been married let alone not grandparents already. 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.