Agnostic.com

58 13

Do you like tea? If so, what kind do you drink?

We've had posts about coffee. But, I also like tea. When it's cold out, I love a hot tea. When it's hot out, I love a cold black tea. I've been into licorice tea lately.

What kind of teas do you like?

silvereyes 8 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mister Tea

@silvereyes

@silvereyes Let's not forget The Agnostic.com Mad Points Tea, commonly referred to as Silver-

@silvereyes 🙂

Love tea - usually a strong, black tea blend like "Yorkshire Gold", served the English way with milk. I'm happy with most types of tea though and always willing to give something new a try 🙂

@irascible oh yes 😉 the calcium in the milk binds to the oxylates in the tea and prevents them forming kidney stones 😀

Pint mug of Yorkshire tea with milk in a morning.

Splendid!

@SweetHarp At least tea is light 😀 You can fill your bag with "Yorkshire Gold" or stock up at Whittards of Chelsea. If you don't mind the slightly cheaper "Yorkshire Tea" then they have been selling that in sacks of 480 bags recently for about £8, if you can find a supermarket that stocks them, like CostCo 🙂

*I doubt I'll remember everything I enjoy, but here's a starter list😘

• black tea (is fine, not my favorite, a little bland for my tastes)
  • green tea (better than black, still not my favorite)
  • oolong tea (much stronger flavor, richer, more to my liking)
  • Earl Grey tea (rich, flavorful, aromatic — no wonder it's the tea of choice for Jean-Luc Picard)
  • chai spice tea (delicious blend of spices, I recommend Tazo and Stash varieties)
  • bengal spice tisane (smooth spices with a sweeter vanilla accent, by Celestial Seasonings)
  • rooibos tisane (sometimes called African red tea, has a rich, earthy flavor)
  • peppermint tisane, mint medley tisane, etc. (because, mint)
  • lemon-ginger tisane (might be a little strong for some people, but I like it pretty well)
  • orange spice tisane (robust flavor)
  • cinnamon apple spice tisane (lovely flavor from Celestial Seasonings)
  • jasmine tisane (it's like drinking the essence of perfume, but in a good way)
  • yerba mate tisane (rich flavor, might be more appealing to coffee drinkers who don't like regular tea, has a lot of caffeine if that's a selling point)
  • lemon zinger tisane (nice tangy flavor from Celestial Seasonings)
  • raspbery zinger tisane (also a nice tangy flavor from Celestial Seasonings)

*I sometimes steep raw/fresh ingredients, too😘

• mint leaves, crushed, steeped in hot water for several minutes
  • ginger root, thinly sliced, boiled in water for several minutes, then strained (very strong flavor); add a few drops of fresh lemon juice as desired

*I DO NOT recommend the following😘

• sweet & spicy tisane (by Good Earth, literally undrinkable)
  • enticing chai tisane (by Lipton, not sure who's enticed by this weak-ass abomination, but surely not I)
  • chamomile tisane (to me tastes like someone steeped a sweaty gym sock)

@silvereyes Thank you. I'm not sure I'm a connoisseur, but I know what I like. 😉

Mentioned a few in there that I have drank and liked. But don’t drink as often. Chai spice tea and cinnamon apple spice tisane. I got my first taste of both of those a few years back at an office coffee shop. I don’t make either all that often. But really like both.

@ChrisJones If you can find it, Bengal Spice from Celestial Seasonings is worth a taste. It's almost like a vanilla chai. I really like it a lot.

Thanks! I’ll look for it when I am at the store next. @resserts

I love tea (and coffee too)! My favorites are Lady Grey, Scottish Breakfast, all Green teas, and Bengal Spice. I also drink a lot of herbal infusions within peppermint is my favorite.

Bengal Spice is really good — rich, smooth, slightly sweet. I need to buy some more soon.

@resserts it is one of mine as well!

@orange_girl I drink alot of it as well! 🙂

What kind of tease do I like? Isn't that a bit forward for this forum? What's that? You said, TEAS? Silly me. innocent grin

I am a tea drinker, as well. I have a nice collection of various herbal and traditional teas for when I am in the mood--licorice, chamomile, and dandelion root, to name a few. Sometimes, a mug of black tea is all I need. I rarely drink ANY of it cold. When it is hot outside, I prefer it room temperature. Otherwise, I prefer it warmer. Apparently the Northern European is strong in this one.

@silvereyes I have been accused of that and worse.

Just coffee, Ma'am, black. =]

Black tea

I'm a long-time tea snob. I drink black teas, green teas, white teas, oolongs, and a few herbals. As far as real tea goes, I always use loose leaf and am very particular about the quantity I use, the temperature of the water, and the time of infusion. Black teas usually call for boiling water and a steeping time of 3-5 minutes. Green teas are generally best with water at 180 degrees and steeping time of 2 minutes. White teas vary with most taking about 2 tsp. per 8 oz. cup and steeping time of 3-5 minutes at a temperature of 170-180. I strongly recommend filtered water. There are so many teas available as to flush, growing altitude, estate that making choices can be daunting. Try different ones and see what you like. If you want any specific recommendations as to vendors, types, etc. let me know. Enjoy.

I like "Tiger Tea" I wonder if anyone else know what tea I am talking about?

No but it sounds interesting. I will look it up.

@JackPedigo Let me know if you find it.

@HeathenFarmer We have a good co-op on the island and several great ones on the mainland. I have some good places to start.

@JackPedigo Its a nickname, based on the picture on the box, I think it is very similar to Bengal Spice in flavour. I recently tried a new tea in the local teahouse it had Earl Grey in its name but a unique floral flavour nothing like Earl Grey at all. if I remember the name I will have to post it.

@HeathenFarmer I looked it up and it really is a tea blend. [tigertea.ca]

I usually use tea as a medicine. Red Zinger is good for my high blood pressure. Willow bark tea works for pain, fevers, and swelling. It contains a natural form of asprin. Mullien tea for respiratory problems and circulation. rose hip tea is naturally sweet and has a lot of vitamin c. Violet tea is good for that too. The problem with some of these is that you have to find and harvest them yourself. The good thing is that I know what these weeds look like and the difference between the good ones and their poisonous look alikes. As far as normal teas go, Give me a nice hot cup of lipton tea with a bit of honey.

Iced tea, no sugar, lemon is nice.

I'm English. Of course I like tea.

@silvereyes Naturally.

What do you think of iced tea? Most Brits I know don't recognize it as real tea!

@JackPedigo I don't either. It's a perversion of the natural order of the universe.

Organic Green Tea, served hot and once in a while cold. Black Tea, cold very weak. Chai Tea latte's.

Sun brewed sweet tea takes me back. And gotta say I love Celestial's Bengal Spice.

I'm from Texas so ice cold sweet tea is always appreciated but I also like hot teas when the mood is right. My faves are blacks and reds.

Genmaicha, Earl Gray, and a couple of others that taste like chocolate.

I can't remember what it's called. I bought a bunch of it online from The Art of Tea.

Tea only. There are hundreds of teas both normal and herbal. All the regular tea comes from one plant: Camellia Sinensis [en.wikipedia.org] Most Green Teas are naturally de-caf and the blacks are Cafinated. My favorite is Lapsang Suchong. It is a strong smokey tea best served with sugar and milk. It smells like a strong campfire. My late partner's brother called it "Man Tea".
[en.wikipedia.org]

@silvereyes You went on the Celestial Seasonings tour? ...and you didn't take me with you? [jealous] 🙂

They are right, and I like me some herbal infusions, along with my tea now and then, too. A few of my favorites in their catalog include Mandarin Orange Spice and Tension Tamer. I especially love the art on the Tension Tamer box as well as the yummy contents.

@silvereyes I had an odd idea once. I over brewed some tea and then thought maybe that's why the British always use milk to cut the bitterness (a true Brit puts in the milk first and then the tea). A British friend looked it up and discovered 2 things. Milk is put in first because the original cups were thin and the hot tea would break them and 2 to cut the bitterness. Originally tea was all loose leaf (which I use) and left in the brewing pot.

@JackPedigo I think in the forties and fifties in the uk we had quite a class war thing going about milk first or last and at one time it seemed to be a 'working class people milk first, posh people milk last - also the forties people used condensed milk which made teh tea very orange and sweet.

@jacpod The first time I visited London (early 70's) I stayed at the Union Jack Club. My first breakfast was quite a shock - everything fried even the toast. I took a cup off the counter not realizing it had milk in it and spilled it. I thought what a crazy place but I grew to really like it and visited numerous times. My best friends are from Norwich. We have been watching the "Crown" together and having a good time discussion British history and culture.

@silvereyes It really depends on the tea. The English and Irish breakfast tea's need milk (I use a coconut or nut milk).

I love tea,,it runs in my veins. Day to day, Red Rose tea. But love Constant Comment, Earl Grey, English Breakfast. And just recently, got back to treating myself to Jasmine Tea. As a child, my mom made it every morning in her big mug, sweetened, and a splash of milk. She'd let us kids have a sip each day, and what a treat. Now, to sip my own cupful, inhale that lovely jasmine smell,,ohhh how it takes me back and gives me a feeling of well-being.

I mainly drink hot black tea like earl gray but I love rare herbal teas.

Green tea. I try to drink a cup after I wake up and a few hours before I go to bed.

I like iced tea with no sugar otherwise I drink coffee.

I drink the # tea of my childhood: Bünting Grün, a strong tea mixed from # Assam and # Darjeeling broken. We drink it with cream and rock sugar

if you have an english keyboard, how do you make the umlauts on it?

@walklightly In Settings, find language or Local options, choose the languages you want to use and the choices will appear in the bottom bar, mine is next to the Date/Time. The trick is to know what a German keyboard looks like. as opposed to the QWERTY you are looking at. You can then query Google for German keyboard or Arabic or whatever and print out the keyboard. You can also buy overlays, but I found it easier to just learn the changes by heart,

hehe ..... my favorite is good old southern sweet tea, there are some other teas that are really good. Darjeeling is good.

Not a tea drinker. Like at all.

The only time i can drink tea is a cup of hot green tea with sushi.

I'm much more a fan of soda, beer, energy drinks, coffee, coctails or occassionally water.
Generally, if a beverage doesn't have caffeine or alcohol, i feel it isn't paying rent.

Thus the "occassionally water". I have to be sick or reeeeally hungover.

Tea, even if it has caffeine, just isn't for me. Taste wise. I much prefer coffee or any other stim heavy alternatives.

Peppermint. Mmmm.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.