Agnostic.com

20 5

LINK Did you consent to being born? Why one man is suing his parents for giving birth to him | Life and style | The Guardian

LMAO ? ??! He's serious about suing his parents for bringing him into the world without his consent...

DGJ0114 7 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My son tried the "I didn't ask to be born" argument on me once, I simply pointed out suicide was an option open to his freedom of choice if he was unhappy with his life.
He looked shocked and said he was not going to kill himself, so I nodded and said that he may not have chosen to be born but had just declared his choice to stay alive, so his being here was no longer my responsibility.

In their defense the parents should simply declare that he was an accident.

Martin Heidegger is your boy here and his idea of ‘Thrown-ness’ which is as close a translation as we can get to the German.

I think the capacity to ask why I have been born and why I was not first consulted about it arrives not earlier than three years old. So the question is always retrospective. The only way i have ever managed to deal with this question is to reframe it as, Given that am alive without having chosen to exist how can i maximise the beauties and unique opportunities that this brief and transitory life in this vast universe offers me?

Source:

my life itself

If interested in learning for about antinatalism, check out the author David Benatar: [newyorker.com]

KMac Level 3 Mar 25, 2019

How can this waste of tax payer dollars even make it to a courtroom?

I'm sure the lawsuit will be thrown out, but it is interesting. It is provoking conversation about procreation. Making babies is a primal urge, but we have the ability to consider what we choose to do and our reasons for these decisions. Many people assume that the children they produce will be grateful and will enrich their parents lives. There is no guarantee that offspring will be either grateful or happy that they exist. There are no guarantees that they will be born healthy or have long lives. With the size of human population and the challenges our environment is facing, there is a good possibility that those born today will be experiencing an increasingly difficult and challenging world. Joy, peace and a long happy life, might be the parents hope when having children, but life holds no such guarantees. Offspring have as much right to their feelings about existence as the parents had to their feelings about creating them.

LB67 Level 7 Mar 10, 2019

You may not have decided, but the egg & sperm that became you seem to have made choices--& yes, the egg is not entirely passive--when you see all the sperm butting against the egg & finally one, but only one, gets in--the egg chose that one to let in.

Carin Level 8 Feb 27, 2019

He should sue that egg for all the money it has.

I was not capable of conscious decision-making at that point, but I am very grateful that my parents did what they did which resulted in me. I might have my moments of stress or unhappiness, but it is up to me to rectify the situation and get happy again.

If I was so unhappy with my life that suing my parents was my reaction, well, I suppose the best recourse might be some serious counseling. Wowzers...

Wasn’t there an opt out clause in the birth contract?

Life is a gift. Parents make decision for their children, as they have since before primates existed.
Every animal has the will to survive. It's the ultimate purpose of life, to live and reproduce.
Everything else is opinion, and not part of science.

A gift from whom?

Life is an accidental conjunction of egg and sperm, out of their thousands, nay millions of possible meetings. A gift must be intentionally given.

As somebody who has battled depression for three decades I can assure you that your view that "life is a gift" is a statement devoid of truth for a great number of people, at least the 1 million or so who commit suicide every year

I’ve thought about suing my parents for bringing me into existence. But I’ve met them and it wouldn’t make any bit of difference...

If it's any consolation, his parents probably were planning him either

What an idiot playing victim.

Incidentally, there is plenty of evidence that he's not actually forced to have a career....

Obviously he isn't aware of the cancellation clause, that allows him to opt out at any time. Please someone direct him to the nearest tall building or bridge

just what I was thinking!

Irrespective of dodgy parenting etc etc if unborns have to give consent, which they clearly can't, then the human race stops right now.

you act like that would be a bad thing. It wouldn't.

@SkotlandSkye ,
spoken like a true dour scot. i'm 27% scottish. if i had to live in that climate i'd be even more dour.
but i can understand where you are coming from.

@callmedubious You live in British Columbia and you call our climate bad ??. It's 11C here and sunny at the moment, What's it like with you ? We have some dour people here but on the whole we are quite cheerfull. I don't know if skyeSkotand is dour but she is very sensitive as she blocked me for reacting to some ridiculous comments she made about me.

I don't see this as being winnable. No one has ever asked to be born. It is totally a whim of creation that any of us are here.

Good grief!!!
All the whining really must stop.

I hope he wins. Everyone born into poverty or an unhappy or abusive home SHOULD sue the selfish twats who spawned them. There needs to be a higher standard of parenting.

Huxley's 'brave new world' had some good ideas in it. maybe we'll get there yet.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:282354
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.