Agnostic.com

34 11

I'm a college professor and for the past 10 years, I've noticed and my colleagues have as well, that way too many of our students seem to be incapable of doing the simplest of assignments. Perhaps the biggest problem today's students have is meeting deadlines and accomplishing tasks on time. It's very disconcerting given that the young will eventually grow up and run the nursing home I'll be admitted to. I'm fearful that they'll just machine gun old people to death because they sure as hell aren't developing any skills while in college. And you can bet your ass the America's status a global superpower will end in like the next 10 years.

KBJ41 4 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I read a really interesting article about how many Millenials have spent every minute of their lives planned and supervised, so they only begin to learn at 18 things that those of us who came before learned over years of childhood. my take is that this is worse among the more privileged of the generation. My son is 19, independent and responsible, so they aren’t all like that!.

@Akfishlady I think it is a LOT different. Social norms, peer pressure, and hormones well of course, we all go through that at that age. But @KBJ41 's post said 'incapable' of completing assignments, and that is a far cry from being hormonely distracted or doing things that every generation has done. Tell me if I'm wrong KBJ...

I can absolutely testify to this. After twenty plus years I returned to school to be shocked at the aptitude of the vast majority of fellow students more than half my age. The lack of critical thinking, basic grammar, and basic common knowledge was astounding. I was under the impression that I would be so behind the curve due to my age and length of time I had been out of school, but ended up running circles around those youngsters. To be fair there was a very small percentage that were more than capable, none the less the vast majority had little to offer intellectually. Professors had to constantly remind students not to do their assignments on their phones, that abbreviations and acronyms like btw, imo, and L8R were not acceptable in papers. Some of them couldn't even read a ruler, deal with basic fractions, or even use spell check. The worst was group assignments, it was like pulling teeth to get those kids to commit or follow through with anything. I hate to generalize, I know there are some amazing young kids out there that are hard workers and will make great contributions to society in the future, although sadly they are few and far between.

@Jackolope74 My experience mirrors yours to a very high degree, I expected to be the least informed in the class, certainly not near the top

@RobCampbell, I think life experience plays a big factor as well. I just didn't take into consideration how much of a role it would play until being surrounded by 18-25 year-olds.

The kids I see don't fit that mold. Ambitious, hard driving, bright, adaptable, and clear-headed. I have no deep concerns for America's future, if we can survive the present.

@Dick_Martin You know its kinda funny, I've been in class with these kids for the last couple of years while going back to college. And it SEEMs the way you describe, but so many don't have basic science knowledge or math skills (certainly there are outstanding exceptions). I hadn't taken a math or english class in over 40 yrs and came out near the top in the placement tests, not what I expected at all! And SMC is a well respected college, so it's not for want!

@RobCampbell I wonder how someone who went to school 20 years ago would fare in that same comparison? 40 years is a long time. There has been a real slump in education but it's looking to me like we're climbing back out of that pit. If we don't lose it all now.
Also, I have noticed that the knowledge has changed; what was important in my time is of no concern today. Latin is not even offered anymore, so far as I can tell.

@Dick_Martin LOL, I was the HS whiz at chemistry, first thing I noticed in the classroom was a periodic table of the elements, and there were a bunch there that weren't there before which reminds me, I have to look up what Uuu is...

@Dick_Martin I was in school 40 years ago. My 35th reunion is this year, so I would have been in the 7th grade. The late '70's and early '80's were a different time, way different. For one thing we had a smoking block after lunch there was area outside the cafeteria were we could smoke cigarettes. The drugs of the time were pot and LSD, and alcohol of course. Pot wasn't a big deal. You could smell it around the school bathrooms most of the time, the teachers and principal didn't make a big deal out of it. I got caught by the cops more than once and just took my pot and told me to go home.
There was very little violence and I don't remember anybody taking guns to school. No gang fights no serious bulling going on. Just about everybody partied, I was a jock played football and wrestled, most of my team mates partied also. There was none of this bullshit no tolerance going on either, If a teacher or principal tried to suspend somebody over a butter knife in a pickup truck bed, they would have been looking for a new job the next day. I never saw one single elementary school kid get handcuffed ever. They left us the hell alone to be kids and I learned a lot and had great time. Maybe it's not the students fault they are the way they are.
I like I said it was a different time, I almost forgot we wore shorts to school also.

This is not at all surprising. I work in the hospitality business, which has become completely overrun and taken over by millennials. Getting them to put down the phones is hard work enough.

As a business owner and employer, there's nothing wrong with having a 'no phone' policy (per our handbook). My wife and I are in a similar field--assisted living--and our policy is that personal phones may be left in locked 'cubbies' during work, and may be checked during scheduled break periods. If an employee asks 'what if there's an emergency?' my wife tells them that's what the main house line is for, and we remind them that it must also be a real emergency that cannot wait for break periods. Sometimes employees have to train their friends and family, but eventually, they figure it out. But then, my wife and I are old school when it comes to results and accountability.

Dude, you live in MFN Louisiana, what do you expect? If the area produces any good students, they probably want out and go to college elsewhere. The quality of incoming college students is, in general, tied to the socioeconomic status of the parents, how well educated the parents are, and how valuable academics are to them. In general, good students go to good schools etc.

good point

I’m a high school math teacher. I see that the kids coming up from elementary and middle school have practically zero math skills. It’s scary.

There is always that percentage, typically 15 to 20%, of those who are self-motivated. Unfortunately, helicopter parenting has taken away the motivation for so many. I have noticed that the majority of millennials who have been my employees lack the drive and motivation to achieve excellence. That is probably equally true in the academic world.

Take away the video games and kick the kids outside with a ball of string and a stick!

Another reason we need immigrants, eh?

Well, my college grad of last spring had only one ‘B’ (the rest A’s) in 17 years of school, and is happily working within her desired field.. Some are up to the task, though it’s become extremely competitive out there. Not only are we competing with the rest of the world, college education standards appear to be set by those looking to protect themselves from youthful replacements. And though competing with the world, too many in the US are attempting to return to the 50’s, when ‘America was Great!’

Living off our natural resources won’t last … and it doesn't appear we’re up to the competition from nations prospering on far less.. We’re trained consumers, little else. Our societal needs remain a for-profit opportunity, thus rationed to the highest bidder. When we can no longer attract desperate foreign labor ...the jig will be up..

Varn Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

I actually talked with my Physics instructor about this exact topic last night after a class. Out of maybe 50 students, less than 10 could answer most of the basic science questions in a broad spectrum (chemistry, biology, astronomy, physics, earth sciences) science quiz. I'm by far the oldest student in the class and one of the few that passed the initial 'first day extra credit' quiz he gave. He told me that it was more or less mandatory for a HS teacher to advance students, even if they weren't ready. And I'm sure as a prof you know that is not a good thing...the youngsters sure know how to twiddle their fingers on a smartphone textpad though...As for your last statement (except in military might where we are far more advanced than any other nation) I thought we had already lost superpower status.

I hear you. And I just don't believe everyone has ADHD.

But I was in college in the 80's and we had kids like that then too. If there are no good ones mixed in then I'd be worried.

Let me also say "Consequences". Giving them multiple chances does not help them.
If someone is sick or has a family emergency that's one thing. But if they're just not keeping on task with the given schedule - I'd be lowering grades.

One of my nephews actually was so lackadaisical in going to class that his University contacted his parents. They took him out. He can go back if he grows up. (He however does have real diagnosed concentration issues).

@silvereyes Yup I grew up pre-tech. So there's that. But I no longer memorize many phone numbers etc.... and when I read a "real book" I often try to underline text with my finger.

I really amuse myself sometimes.

I'm way ahead of you, sadly. I started teaching at the Columbia College of P&S in 1981. Students and residents were uniformly great, as you'd expect. However, by 1998 they were unmotivated and lazy. Eager before, the most common question became, "Will this be on the national board exam?" That's when I moved to clinical practice and lectured occasionally. Sad...and sadder now!

Not what I wanted to read on a Saturday morning. When I moved into this low income 55 and older apartment complex after about 2 months I started to wonder if getting old makes ya stupid. It's the low income part, no real curiousity and religion. The post tells me it starts much sooner. I've always been a bit of a hermit and only in the past year been on FB and now this site. Some disturbing eye openers.

They were not taught how to read for comprehension / write a term paper.....search for info or to express their opinions on paper. Debate.

I had HS students who barely could write a half page interpretation of any article..and I had others whose writing skills were non-existent

And yes, I also had students in college whose skills were pitiful

@KBJ41 Lucky you...and them. I believe you about the "laziness" since they grew up convinced society owes everything to them; few told me they should be paid for going to class.

We had a student once who wasn't coming to class and when asked why, he said, "I don't need to come to class, I've taken this class before." Multiple times. Sigh. I work at a university, in administration now ( the dark side now), but was faculty for 21 years before that. I don't see the problem you describe in all of our students - many are dedicated and responsible, but irresponsibility is widespread and a difficult challenge to address. I'm wondering, have you or others at your institution had many conversations with these students as to why they struggle with this? Do they recognize it as a problem? I was just at a conference where the keynote speaker, who travels a lot, talked about frequent airplane conversations she has where people remark "I didn't learn anything in college". These are successful people, with stable jobs and careers. Where did they learn responsibility? Where did they learn communication skills? Etc. If they learned it in college, why don't they recognize that? Are we teaching them those skills effectively? If not, what can we do to improve?

My son is in university now, and I can agree with your assessment for many of his fellow students as he complains of it himself.

However I am finding the same issue true for the next Gen of professors as well, which is very frustrating. Not bothering to notify the class assignments are changed, classes cancelled, requirements altered, and yet expecting the student body to just go with the flow.

And really stupid rigidity, like insisting on Physics notation OR mathematical Notation, while switching back and forth in both the text and by the professor. When you get two or three insisting on different notations, it gets confusing, and since you can write the answers either way, pointless.

What is "Physics notation" and what is "mathematical Notation"?

@AtheistInNC I am ignorant of this, my son is in his junior senior year of engineering, Calculus three Physics 3, Statics, which all use similar notations, and CAN use the exact same notations (its a matter of personal preference as he tells me, he is educationaly beyond me in these fields)

This leads to things like certain formulas being written with certain symbols, interchangably. Which professors do from class to class, and in the text from page to page, but then each profesor wants it written in a certain way, when they don't adhere to that same standard.

Imagine the letter A being written as either an A, or a Z, or and F, all MEANING A, the teacher using them interchangably, and the text as well, and the each professor insisting you only return work with it written as Z, OR F, OR A

OR its wrong
and you fail , with the correct answer, because it is not in the desired format. It is very confusing and would make sense if the University followed a set of Standards.

I work in a Cardiology office. Quite frankly, it scares me to see these young MA’s taking care of patients! They clearly know nothing of Cardiology let alone the basics like taking blood pressures or what medications are. I’m terrified of getting old!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's the machines.

Maybe they should start college at 21 or 25 yo. when their brains are more developed. Not kidding.

I know kids at both ends of the spectrum: many who give me actual hope for the future, given the wreck we've made of things, and others who couldn't find their way out of a paper sack, sigh.

Zster Level 8 Feb 24, 2018

One thing that I’ve noted is how some of the students are already in an us versus them in mindset . They’re already told when they get the college that the professors will lie to them and that their job is just to agree and get through the courses. College is nothing but a hurdle for them to withstand. There is no critical thinking there’s only us versus them. When they’re called out on it they say that I’m attacking their religion. I don’t even know what the religion is.

As a retired former high school and college teacher, it is my experience that, as a whole, when students do not perform well or do not meet expectations, it is usually because they have not been taught well or that directions or expectations have not been made clear.

Really? Well, then tell me how you teach a student who never attends classes? I am also a retired HS / college prof. and every year were more the students who only went to class during the last marking period of each semester...and -in college- each year were more the students who only presented their term papers.

@DUCHESSA There are always a few students we fail to reach, but I would not generalize from them.

@KBJ41 I read you....Ypu are talking college kids and I was referring to HSchoolers.

Take google away... what they have left? About the status of superpower... we got trump. it is over.

@KBJ41 So you don't tell them to research in a library?

@KBJ41 Roger that. No library is like a crime to me. Not your fault.

It is not just in college. It is systematic problem. Republicans have worked for decades to degrade and destroy the education system. Standardized testing is more than a money making/laundering scheme, it is meant to destroy education. A well educated populace is harder to control.

There is so much pressure out on schools to do well on these intentionally biased tests. Research shows that if you have to have these tests the three things that will show the biggest positive impact upon scores is first to include recess breaks throughout the day. This allows students to process and refocus. Yet recess has been stripped from public school and lunch time so short that often students have not even received their lunch tray before it is over. Especially on days they are serving a school favorite.

Secondly it is vital to have a wide variety of extra-curricular activities, clubs, organizations to help build an interest and desire to learn. Yet many of these programs are either cut, blocked, or prevented that only a few exist in many schools. (Especially urban schools that receive little to no community support.)

Thirdly, and most importantly, it is essential that you do not over test or test prep. The research is crystal clear on this point. Yet we spend between one third ti one half or more of each school year doing just that. Many students spend more time with practice tests, mock tests, preparation tests, preview tests, review tests, etc than they do in a classroom. They do not know what it is like to actually study and learn. Most of my students actually jump at the chance once they finally experience it.

To add to this you have stated like Texas that have made it illegal to teach critical thought.

Wow! As an educator, I have seen a steep decline in work ethics, moral compass, and manners. Our students have most certainly changed in the last 15-years! I agree that it is disconcerting and scary to think that these same indivduals will be the doctors, lawyers, and other professionals that will eventually work for or run institutions in this country. Additionally, it is a fact that these same mindless individuals were raised by the folks who gave us Trumpanzee and the present administration of buffoons that are taking down Democracy and the global economy. Additionally, it is frightening to see that they mindlessly follow what is "in" without question. They do not know how to critically think, ask questions, research facts or even banter without whining or getting angry. As far as America's downfall is concerned, Trumpanzee and his cronies have already started the downfall of America; his remarks this week clinched it! The next generation of buffoons will only be holding on to what is left of the once great nation that used to be America.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28294
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.