Agnostic.com

22 2

What books are you all reading right now?

I'm reading A column of fire by Ken Follet. You?

RickWard 5 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am halfway through Jane Eyre because it’s one of those books you’re “supposed to” read. I am also proofreading a book that will be released in May.

Jane Eyre is one of my favourite novels. I hope you like it, but I'll totally understand if you don't.

Honestly, I’m finding it a bit... slow. Was kind of relieved to have an excuse to take a break. But I hate to not finish a book so i’ll Get back to it when I finish the other one @Ori89

A River Runs Through It, A People's History Of the United States

Uncas Level 4 Feb 24, 2018

Howard Zinn is awesome.

Just finished a two book series by A.G. Riddle, "Pandemic" and "Genome". It kept me at the edge of my seat until the end. I really enjoyed it!

Zster Level 8 Feb 24, 2018

I checked my library website to see if they have the e-books.
they do not but do have Departure. Have you read it?

Simple reminders by Brian McGill. He's a life coach it's a self help kind of book I've read it twice I'm reading it a third time.

I'm trying to get through Annihilator before I see the movie.

I'm dyslexic, so I listen to a lot of books. Right now Artemis by Andy Weir. The writer for The Martian.
It ok.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 24, 2018

I LOVED the Martian! Both the book and the movie (rare that). I have Artemis and am looking forward to reading it... um, soon... but, I have a huge pile of books (well, boxes of books) that I am working through. 🙂

The Short Story of Art by Susie Hodge

Just re-read Jeffery Deaver - The bodies left behind

its seriously trickily plotted and dynamic, a cop story with so many bits thrown in and it keeps you in there right to the end. The person of most interest is a policewoman who gets caught up in something that just keeps gather ing momentum

A new Star Trek Discovery novel, Drastic Measures by Dayton Ward. Just finished David Baldacci's latest. Also rereading some of Bertrand Russell's essays, partly as a result of some discussions here.

I loved the first season of Discovery, and really want to get started on the novels.

@Ori89 There are two so far. STDiscovery Desperate Hours by David Mack. Goes back several years and you have Bernham, and young Spock and Capt Christopher Pike and Georgiou in a story line before Bernham became first officer. A great read. The second one is as noted above. This is also pre Discovery season 1, and has Lorca and Georgiou before they were captains. They fill in the history prior to the Discovery series. I have them in ePub.

Oh, wow...discussions about good old Bertie? How cool. I must go seek them out. I have his Conquest of Happiness in paperback and some of his others on my kindle...

Monster Hunters International [1], 1st to Die, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Frost Burned, and maaaaaaaayyyyyybeeeeee restarting Jurassic Park. Yes, several books and genres at once.

I'm reading several books concurrently, for the umpteenth time, depending on which device I'm using, or if I'm reading off line or not.

The Misha Burkett Catskinner series.
The Persian Boy, by Mary Renault
Manning Up, by Zander Kieg
The James Herriot series

@Hellbent I've been reading her for over a decade, and think she's great. But other historical writers are as good, or better, such as Jeannette Walls, and Laura Hillenbrand,

@Hellbent If you like Mary, you'll LOVE them. I am shaken whenever I reread Jeannette's autobiographical, The Glass Castle, as well as her grandmother's life story, Half Broke Horses.

@Hellbent I just read your bio, and now I think you should write your own autobiography, LOL! I'm writing a short memoir of growing up with my Haitian mustangs, although I'm not sure who would care. Just for me, if nobody else.

Liberalism is a mental disorder by DR Michael Savage

I'm reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany," by John Irving.

At the Back of the North Wind by George McDonald;
Anatomy of Love: A Natural History of Mating, Marriage, and Why We Stray by Helen Fisher;
It's OK That You're Not OK: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand by Megan Divine

My partner has been reading the Harry Potter series to me. We are on Book 4. He does all the voices differently (he's a storyteller and actor in local theatre, so he has lots of different accents).

I'm also reading a book of letters from Jack Kerouac to various people in his life.

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, R. A. Salvatores' Drizzt novels, The Cleric Quintet, and The Demonwars Saga, Roger Zelaznys' Chronicles of Amber, Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and James Axlers' Deathlands series from 0-114. This is my usual list I go through every month. Every couple months I'll add the Harry Potter series as well.

I've just started 'In This Grave Hour', by Jacqueline Winspeare. It's part of her Maisie Dobbs mystery series, which I really love. I am also rereading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert Persig. The post script at the end about his son always makes me cry.

Ori89 Level 4 Feb 25, 2018

Union Forever

Goldenhand by Garth Nix. Prior to that it was Rage and Fury by Wolff. Next will be... I don't know, many to choose from (I do no less than a book a week). 🙂

@RickWard I was doing a book a day but that was when I had a house and comfortable reading places to sit in. 🙂

And yes, work does slow down my consumption so you are in a good place. My wife and I both gave up reading after college for a number of years. The 'forced' reading of texts kind of burned us out, but we made our way back. 🙂

I'm part of a book discussion group and we are reading:
Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats by Kristen Iversen.

gearl Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

Not as of yet, but looking forward to reading the Takeshi Kovacs (Altered Carbon) series.

I'm big into Syfy and just bought a tablet so I could down load books to start reading again. Just Bought "The Gathering Storm" book 12 of the Wheel of Time. Its been Years since I last read a book but wanted to finish this series.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28654
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.