Agnostic.com

18 5

Female digital assistants like Alexa and Siri remain popular in Silicon Valley. It's time to boycott them.

"Summon her with a tap or a word. Yell at her if you want. First, she was the perky female assistant in your phone. Then, a woman’s voice in a little box on the table checking the weather. Now, she’s growing a virtual body that looks like a retro fantasy of female servitude. You don’t have to pay her. She doesn’t have any rights. In fact, she’s sub-human."

"Maybe the she-bots are partly a reaction to a century of rapid changes in which women gained professional opportunities and more control over their bodies than they ever had in human history. The subconscious minds of a million Silicon Valley programmers — mostly male — seem to have devised a counteroffensive: If you can’t have a real woman who will cater to your every whim, buy a virtual one. It’s man-made culture on steroids.

"Feminists like Simone de Beauvoir have long noted the tendency in patriarchal societies to link femininity to certain tasks and behaviors in order to lock in the secondary status of women. When these assumptions are written into social practices and consistently repeated, they seem natural:

"Women don’t act, they are acted upon. Men are the ones in charge, women are there to support. Females are available for whatever you desire."

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Siri’s voice is that of an American male on my phone. Why dump Siri when it can be any persona you choose, male or female?

Great points, though I am hesitant (absent disability or injury) to have one of these in my home. Why invite more invasion of privacy than already exists?

I had the thought that the voice of Jervis from ironman would be a good voice for a digital assistant. I think I saw a documentary piece about how the companies did a study about what voice was more acceptable.

Don't worry. I'm sure there will be a male beefcake version available as well to facilitate you ladies fantasies as the technology progresses. You can bet the makers of Siri and Alexa aren't going to let that cash cow slip by the wayside, so unfair treatment based upon gender shouldn't be an issue.

@webbewl

With my first car GPS unit, I initially tried a man's voice. I didn't like a man bossing me around.

@BeerAndWine

No. I tried both genders with a British accent. Could not understand everything they said. Clear directions are important when driving.

There was a story a while back (I think on NPR) that suggested young children believed Alexa was a real woman, and when asked about specifics (where she lives, etc) the children would make up answers and completely believe them. There was also so suggestion that children would become more and more disrespectful to Alexa as she would not "discipline" them for treating her that way, and that the bratty behavior would later transfer to adults.

It seems to be a more dysfunctional version of using a tv as a babysitter.

@BeerAndWine I remember the huge battle in the '90s over the V-chip that was "absolutely necessary" to put in all tvs to protect the children from sex and violence in media. Maybe I'm naive, but I know of no one who uses it. I know netflix can be set to require a pin number for children, but I know of no kids whose parents actually use that function.

If people are using technology to babysit or pacify their child, I doubt they are taking enough time to change settings on devices.

(Also, does it detect sarcasm when saying "please" or "thank you"? lol I know plenty of bratty kids who would get around it that way.)

I only have Siri on my phone and I have HIM programmed with a sexy Aussie accent. (He's basically useless, however, except for wake up alarms. His answer to most requests is along the lines of 'I don't know'.

I talk to Siri because she’s the only woman in my life. ?? but no seriously the only thing I ever ask her for is to set an alarm, timer when I’m cookin or do some quick math. I don’t want an Alexa because I’m not dumb enough to voluntarily wiretap my house, and I don’t have the money for it to be useful in restocking supplies from amazon. I stop by dollar general because that’s often the only way I’d speak to another human outside of work in the course of most days.

I agree that most men don’t give women enough credit. We expect too much service n hand holding from them, but there are also evolutionary reasons that women often adopt these roles: you’re generally better at giving a shit than we are. I think female voice assistants are mostly because female voices are more pleasant to listen to for both genders. Men perk up when they hear a woman and women, like you said with your GPS, easily get annoyed at men dictating to them.

There are a lot of productive fights against sexism to be taken up in Silicon Valley and all over right now; I think this one is a little silly given that most of these devices already have the option for either gender. What would make it more pleasing? Having it randomized whether the default setting on each device was male or female? shrug I can’t think of a way that it matters much. Legal and ethical issues of how we treat AI is an interesting issue though, and one that’ll get more complex in the near future.

You can change Siri's voice to male, but not Alexa.......

The computer on Star Trek had a female voice too. Boycott Trek!!!!

Never! Trekkie for life! 🙂

@SkepticPower31 , did you know the computer on TNG was Lwaxana Troy, AKA Nurse Chapel, played by Majel Barrett?

@chucklesIII I did not. Awesome fact!

How exactly do you intend to boycott Alexa and Siri? That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. It sounds just like something a woman would say (that is a joke). If they used male voices, would you be complaining that that was discriminatory? 99% of the recorded voices we hear on the phone are women, and I am glad they are. I like to hear women's voices. Should we change half of them male voices? Should we also start referring to ships with the pronoun he, or just half of them? The biggest non sequitur is that I see further down the thread you state you prefer female voices!!!

Agreed my man!

I think female voices are used in such devices for the simple reason of them sounding more pleasant. I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s any more sinister than that.

I don't want a "connected" home because it's easily hackable by thieves.

Don't want a digital assistant. It makes people lazy.

You don't want to be "hackable"? You'd better get off the Internet and cancel your Internet service. Gosh I hope you're not on wifi!

So I'm lazy because I can set my alarm clock with my voice? I'm lazy because I can drop in on friends and family and video chat with them? I'm lazy because I can play music I like? I'm lazy because I can listen to the news like on the radio?

@JordanMarsh

Calm down. Don't take it personally.

@LiterateHiker I would like know how you think using an Echo makes someone lazy.

@JordanMarsh

Every step counts.

Instead of sitting and telling a digital assistant to do something for you, get up:

Walk into the bedroom to set the alarm, walk into the kitchen to start the oven, etc.

@LiterateHiker Using an Echo will have no effect on how many steps anyone may take around the house. I can't imagine anyone thinking that would be a reason to get one. I work at home and use mine to schedule and manage my day. I put one in my father's room to be able to check on him when needed. I use them for information I need. I also made an Alexa skill for her to count repetitions when I do my daily workout.

@LiterateHiker The idea that people use an Echo or Google Home so they can sit all day is ridiculous.

I'm using Alexa for a while and never thought of it like that. I have a choice of a few names so I use the name Echo for the second one, for no particular reason. But I believe the article's premise because I keep getting the feeling that every time law progresses social justice, the behaviour it's trying to improve gets channeled in a different way, sometimes underground.

This is dumb. Alexa is an electronically-generated voice. She tells me the weather, turns my lights on and off, plays music, tells me when my orders have arrived...

I have never wanted that stuff in my house to begin with.
Just more tech for someone else to hack, and cause me trouble.
I don't need the aggravation.
Besides, it's just another gadget that makes people lazy.

There could be a psychological reason to use female automated voices instead of male voices when dealing with men. I seem to remember that airlines use female voices for automatic warnings ("pull-up, pull-up", etc.) because they found that men would not respond as quickly to male voices. So, before we get our collective under-grundies in a bunch, we should perhaps do a little more study of the issue.

@dahermit

With my first car GPS unit, I first chose a man's voice. Didn't like a man bossing me around.

Next, tried a British accent. Couldn't quite understand the accent.

Settled on a woman's voice. Having a woman telling me where to go didn't irritate me like a bossy man.

I had Stephen Fry giving me directions. He was delightful.

@brentan I would not want Stephen Fry giving me directions on my GPS...I would be afraid that he was kidding me when he said, "Turn left, turn left."

@dahermit But even if he put you wrong, he would be doing it in that wonderful aristocratic voice.

So, those things don't let you choose the gender of the voice you have to listen to? Hard to believe the marketing groups didn't see that one.

I am %110 for equality of the sexes. Women deserve to be treated with all the respect, dignity and love possible and I would take on anyone who seeks to degrade or demean someone based on their sex.
This however is complete "slap in the face politics" that demean the women that fought and fight against actual, real world inequality issues.
This is an attempt to make an issue out of a non issue which in turn belittles actually issues.
This is a great example of modern feminism vs true feminism.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:294441
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.