Agnostic.com

80 14

Does unconditional love exist?

What do you think... is love ever completely unconditional? If so, do you think it's limited to certain kinds of relationships (I.e. parent-child)?

silvereyes 8 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

80 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Unconditional is a state of the realm of the 'conditional', - it's like saying 0 is not a number but 1 is - so logically no. But people are not entirely logical, they are emotional and that relates to chemistry. Can chemistry be perpetual? Does time change the smell of an orange, do your pupils dilate when you look at someone, do you feel drawn to touch? To me, it's what you feel like, it's not a question to be thought over and decided.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 26, 2018

There is unconditional love. But I think it is limited to the animal kingdom outside of humans. Dogs for instance. I’d like to believe it’s possible for humans. But I’m never sure anymore if it’s really possible.

I have personal experiences that prove even the most reliable loving relationships in all categories can permanently fail because of conditions or influences. BUT I still believe people can experience this in the span of their whole lives with one or more persons. I think it would most likely happen in a parent-child or sibling relationship and less frequently in a friendship or adult relationship. I have no way of knowing if this is a statistical norm but the optimist in me hopes it would normally happen in families.

No. I have a very low EQ and have learned to not let myself be influenced by sudden surges of seritonin in my system. It's never love and it never lasts.

That depends...

Talking about the romantic type, I don't know, probably based on what I've seen, but I want no part in it. Love me because I deserve love and treat you well.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

I wouldn't say unconditional, more like it ebbs and flows. lol

i think a parents love can come pretty close.

I'm a mother, so of course I do.

Yes, but it's not always reciprocal.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

If you want unconditional love, get a good dog.

Surely I do belive it does and feel I have had quite a lot of it.

No. Because there will always be the condition that someone will only love you because you are you.

It certainly does.

I don't know.

I agree Unconditional does not mean you are a door mat. . . Because it should evolve into being unconditional for both parent and child. The sins of the parent are to be understood and discussed so as to not be shocked when our children are so blooody annoying BUT we love 'em I have clear boundaries and maintain them with all people

EvaV Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

It does exist in some people's minds but not mine. Again, what is "love?" Is it supporting whatever behavior another engages in? Is it trying to guide another person to be a contributing member in society, like with a parent? I do not believe in unconditional loyalty. The idea of my tribe right or wrong is just plain wrong. We all need to be held accountable and this loyalty crap is how so many ills have been allowed to exist and thrive.

Love should be positively empowering and sometimes it has to be a tough love.

I think the moment we start putting conditions on it, that's when it stops being "love" and becomes something else... like a transaction. I do this for you and you do this for me.

I think unconditional love exists, but beware of the "if it can't be proven on a scientific level crowd "will take you task to submit evidence. Lol sorry that was a rant.

I don't believe it could. Parent/child relationship exempt. Could you still love someone who is a cheater? Spousal and child abuser?

The love may be unconditional. The relationship may have other conditions that does not diminish the love

Yes, in the form of a dog.

As long as there are passionate and loyal people, I'm sure it will always exist albeit perhaps rare or scarce.

Not in today's age it's easier to throw away years and start over and admit your wrong or have to work on something. It saddens me so much

No there is no such thing. You may think there is but one day, if you are unfortunate enough you will see how it is not possible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29587
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.