Agnostic.com

53 11

Are you the only nonreligious person in your family? Or are some or all of them nonreligious?

The majority of my family claim christianity. My father, however, is a deist and my brother is the same as me, agnostic atheist. My grandfather is interesting. He was a christian most of his life but after he was technically dead (for a quadruple bypass heart surgery) he changed his mind a bit. He was one of my unlikely allies, when I told him about my stance he shrugged it off and said it was fine (unlike others). He then admitted that he didn't really believe any of it, he just attended services because he felt it was part of his culture and as a way to socialize since many of his friends were already deceased. His church in particular has a significance to him since he was one of the primary funders of it and he even made a small model of it that eventually became the blue print of the building itself. The model is still inside the church.

AustinSkepticus 7 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My Dad, now deceased was an atheist, my sister and I are also atheists. My other 4 siblings and my mother were Christians.

Hard to tell, since they are United Methodists, and liberal. They seldom, if ever, mention religion and I don't even know if they regularly attend church, or care about such things.

I sure don't.

When I was a fairly unquestioning Chritian I assumed all my family were. I was amazed to find my father had been an atheist all his life, and my younger siblings were never convinced.

Im the only one sadly. Although after having deep conversations with my cousins, a few have said they question they're faith. Its a lonely thing, being enlightened.

All my extended family were non religious , they are all dead now; I am the new backstop, but my children are non religious

Literally no-one in my extended family is religious. But, then, we are Australians. Even mainstream religion is largely regarded as kooky here. Of all the societal drivers at work here, religion really is a non-starter. The scenario as described here is totally foreign to me.

We were not a very religious family, but did attend church when I was a child. My father was a believer but I don't think my mother ever was. It was never a big deal at home like it seems to be with a lot of families. I think I was always a skeptic, though tried going to church at different times in my life. Now, my siblings and thier families are believers but most don't attend church. My son and his wife are not believers.

My brother is a hard line atheist. That's probably why he lives on the west coast.

I don't really have any family left - above me -but No all my family are and were atheists.

I am the only one.

I don't know about my brother havent seen him in fifty years last time I did see him he was non religious my parents were not religious don't know about unts and uncles because I never asked but they didnt seem very bothered never went to church.

Me and my middle child, my son, are the only ones. The rest of the family are fundamentalist Christians. It's hard.

My family tend more toward agnostic, but follow the Christian faith in some manner. Several have gone down multiple paths, but remain believers on some level. I am the only one who is an atheist.

They're all religious except my kids and my mom's husband.

Yes i am the only nonbeliever in my rather large framily. They all know what has happened in my life and why i feel the way i do= Respect and understanding of good people

Family say they all believe in god apart from my children who I bought up to believe in whatever they felt with no judgement from me. No one of my family members have ever told me why they believe in god but they watch TV believe the news and in my opinion do not look outside the box.

I'm the only one. My mother accepts this about me, the rest don't. My father is trying to constantly deny that I don't believe what he does. My brother just doesn't care. He has his jesus. He tried to convert me back for a long time but now just kind of ignores me. Now and then he brings it up and mocks me for being different.

I am the only non religious in my family. My husband is non-religious.
My mom raised me New Age which I don’t consider a Religion but for social reasons she would always refer to herself as a Christian.....all the way when she died and my dad had to pick a Religion to put on her paper work. It was sad.
It is lonely.

Just me and the most assholeish of my children. Hmm..

My oldest grandson at 18 is probably one but just isn't there yet.
My daughter thinks her youngest will become atheist because "she likes all that science shit like you do"

So my daughter equates education with atheism. Interesting

My mom was Catholic and my Dad, though he said he was Methodist, was non-religious. They agreed the kids would be raised Catholic. So we were. Four kids and two are agnostics now. My wife is Catholic and I am agnostic. I agreed for our son to be baptized and he had his First Communion. My son, Undefined Creative Force Bless Him, was a fervent non-believer from practically the get-go. My wife gave up on making him go to Church long ago.

All are non.

Extended family, and my kids mother and family are all religous, me and my kids and my brothers kids are all atheists.

My birth family, plus the rest of the aunts, uncles, cousins, all claim religion. So I am the black sheep. My family, wife, kids, grand kids, and great grand kids are almost all non-believers. Have one grand son who is exploring religion, but he is the only one. We did take our kids to a Unitarian Universalist church, and I think they did a good job of teaching them to question. We did check out what was being taught in the classes. Have a son in law who claims to be religious, but doesn't associate with any church.

My mother was something of a believer, the rest aren't really bothered.

I grew up in a very secular home. Other than funerals or weddings we didn't go to church. I can't recall ever having a bible in the house either. I bounced around various religious learnings but didn't really become particularly religious. My brother fell into a church after he got married and drew my sister and mother into it but I'm really just not interested. I did my time and wasn't impressed.

AmyLF Level 7 Mar 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30578
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.