Agnostic.com

16 1

How many of you are able to maintain good friendships with people of differing opinions and politics or religion?

Marine 8 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The people who are actually my friends are pretty low key. We may disagree on some things but everyone gets something out of the exchange. If you are just looking to win an argument, go argue with someone that enjoys arguing ...

Never been a problem. I have never chosen to have friends who are assholes.

I may well be the only 'out' atheist in Northern Ireland - only joking but it seems that way sometimes - I can cope up to a certain level and then, if it starts to get too much I sort of run away - Like saying "Oh! is that the time I really must dash! Dinner to cook!" I don't feel the need to be cutting because at the end of the day it only really matters to me what I think of myself. I have friends here though and they tease me by saying things like "And what does our wee atheist think of that then?" Other countries, Other customs - No one in England where I am from has ever asked me about my religion.

I've alwasy found so long as you show a bit of respect, and get it in return, all my friendships and acquaintences get along fine.When push comes to shove we agree to disagree.

Nearly everyone I know voted for Trump although some of them appear to regret it or at least are unhappy with him

Until the orange one entered our lives , I never had a problem. I still have a couple friends who favor him - but I am cautious then, wih our conversations. Ugh

i just don't have many good friendships

My best friend went to seminary school to be a pastor. We never speak about religion at all and he knows that I am an atheist. I get along great with him because we both respect each others right to our own beliefs. We have been friends for over twenty years.

I have three friends who are believers. They are kind hearted, mellow, easy going and they are Thinkers. That kind is fine with me. The mean judgemental kind - I avoid them. I stay away from them.

SKH78 Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

if everyone abides, its okay.

I care not what you believe as long as we respect each other and enjoy our time when we are together.

it depends how forceful they are about their beliefs. I can leave things be, Trumpsters are a different thing

Not a problem, I don't so much have friends my of generation, but get on well enough at work, most are somewhat religious, say 2/3.

I have hired, fired and coexisted with folks of all walks of life. I have also coexisted with very religious people also. I live by the motto of, "live and let live". My opinion is none of their business unless they solicit it and what they think or what their opinion of me is none of my business. My friends and I enjoy each others company not each others religiousness/ politics.

+I can if the other agrees that we both will treat the other and his/her opinions with civility, dignity, and respect; or if we agree that certain topics are out of bounds for us.

My best friend is a deist. I do not desire friendship with anyone more extreme than a religious moderate. I dislike both the far right and far left.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31421
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.