Agnostic.com

62 7

Atheists, what was the hardest thing to accept when you became atheist?

For me it was just my entire life turning upside down. When I left my cult I have to revaluate everything I knew about my life and accept actual truths of life. The hardest thing to accept for me was I was living a lie for the first 19 years of my life and that I wasted precious times that could have went to finding my true self.

Tyrantmike 6 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (51 - 62)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nothing, just a sense of relieve, but it wasn't overnight...

That no one has the answers. I finally realized that one has to find ones own answers.

Born and bred atheist here

The hardest thing for me to accept was that everything will be gone forever eventually and that life is ultimately meaningless, however it may not be meaningless in a human sense.

Probably realizing how long it took for my brain to mature, develop acceptance that it was all nonsense. Yes, some great parables and lessons were there in the Bible, but the majority can be easily summed up by Ricky Gervais, "God is the best unpaid babysitter"
[or should we say paid, due to all the money given to the church].

absolutely nothing. it wasn't traumatic for me at all. i wasn't religious anyway and neither was my family, though we had (and i still have) a strong jewish cultural identity. i didn't have to accept anything except oops, that god i vaguely believed in and thought of as a personal friend of sorts didn't exist. no biggie.

g

DO You mean when you realized there wasn't any EVIDENCE of the existence of God, and in fact it was unlikely there IS such an entity or entities, NOT, it was when you realized there WAS no God, because that has never been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt?. S, were they actually LYING, or did they really BELIEVE what they were saying to you? I don't know the name of the cult, but WERE they charlatans and liars, or were they caught up in the same delusion as yourself?

I don't recall anything hard to accept. It actually felt like I was more at ease because I always felt trapped under surveillance and it had been lifted.

My biggest problem is that almost everyone I know or talk to takes theology serious. But knows little about science! And quickly becomes defensive and dismissive...

Nothing at all. It was just the right thing to do.

That a lot of atheists simply exchanged one kind of dogma for another.

I don’t really know. I don’t recall when I became an atheist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:317456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.