Agnostic.com

62 7

Atheists, what was the hardest thing to accept when you became atheist?

For me it was just my entire life turning upside down. When I left my cult I have to revaluate everything I knew about my life and accept actual truths of life. The hardest thing to accept for me was I was living a lie for the first 19 years of my life and that I wasted precious times that could have went to finding my true self.

Tyrantmike 6 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That I was lied to by my mother and other family members my whole life and I bought into it because I trusted them, going so far as to force myself to believe well after leaving home on my own despite feeling like it was all bullshit from an early age. That and never getting the chance to tell my mom how I truly felt before she passed and now knowing she couldn't hear me now, even if I tried, because she no longer exists.

I have always been atheist, never had a problem with it growing up. My problem is the laws made in the name of religion. No law should be created based on the belief of a book. Laws should be created for what's best for the masses, inclusion of everyone, be based on scientific evidence, and to move humanity forward.

How imbued is our society, and even atheists and other agnostics, with christian values and beliefs. I am truly a stranger here.

My mom continues to make snide remarks about going to church. Oh wouldn't my life's so ugh better. She's praying for me.

I once read in a medical book that people who drink (alcohol) heavily from an early age may not mature in an emotional and intellectual way. I have seen this in alcoholics I have known. In many ways they can be almost childlike. Could religious indoctrination have a similar effect ?

My husband was a terrible alcoholic and I often wondered if there was something else wrong mentally or emotionally. Now I'm reading up on it.

@Freespirit64 An interesting topic. My ex was an alcoholic and although a nice person was very childlike in many ways.

@Moravian just one of the first ones I read...
[insidethealcoholicbrain.com]
My ex died last Sunday. Kids pretty upset, even though he was quite the bastard. Lots of feelings! Most of this article describes him accurately. If I'd only knew....

@Freespirit64 Interesting article. Sorry to hear about your ex. No matter how bad he was he was still a father to the children

@Moravian thanks. And yes. That's why it's been a hard week....

I never 'became' an atheist. I was born that way.

I was raised by my Catholic family. The hardest situation was when I told my family that I didn't believe in their God anymore. So they stop talking to me for many years.

It's the concept of souls and afterlife that took me the longest to get rid of.

Who's to say if there's an afterlife, or not?

Loss of family.

It has not been hard for me...because I moved through many different religions and studied most of the others, or at least I informed myself about them. I found that when I got all that made any sense to me, about each religion, I moved on to something else! And I kept getting further and further away from religion! I always had questions that I tried to figure out and if I broached them with my religious peers...that only got me ‘put in my place!’ So finally, I succumbed to courage, and made claim to my disbelief...and life is working out as it should! But, on the other side now...I do not think that half of my life was wasted on religion...because I did keep my head above water..,and I know stuff about those religions and people, that you can’t learn from a book!

Nothing. To me these kinds of questions seem weird. I never really felt like this was a choice I was making. I just knew there wasn’t a god.

As long as I can remember I knew it was bullshit.

For me - it was the realization that there was no "safety net". No heaven. If I was wrong in my decision, then so be it.

Which was better than living a lie...

Another part was the loss of my best friend after I shared my conviction. Harsh awakening, but important for my development. I realized then I was in a minority. (and learning that helps one have empathy for other minorities.)

Yes’

If you still think you may be wrong, you're agnostic, not atheist.

For me, it was the loss of eternal life.

...what ‘eternal life?’ What will happen to the energy that supports our life, when we die? Did it die, too?

I was talking about belief in a resurrection.

@Freedompath It gets transformed into heat and is lost to the room our body is in. Just like when we are alive, only more energy isn't being produced.

@Kafirah where does that energy go? Can energy be destroyed? Isn’t energy just taking different forms all the time?

@Freedompath Correct. It is transformed from bio-electricity into heat. It is lost to the room and dissipates as thermal units until room temperature is achieved. After that it is part of the overall thermal energy of the room. Some gets absorbed by the surface the body is laying on, some by the coverings that are on the body, and the rest to the ambient temperature of the air in the room. Think of it like turning off a lamp. When you turn off a lamp, the electricity that charged the tungsten filament, that previously transformed electricity into heat and photons is no longer being produced to charge the tungsten, so it produces no more heat or light. The light goes where it goes, being absorbed by everything it touches and reflected back to us in the form of visible (and invisible) color. But the lamp, if it is turned off and never turned back on again, is effectively "dead", as it is no longer able to produce heat or light. The same goes for us. If we can't be revived, we are dead, and therefore produce no more energy to be converted into heat. Most people don't realize that we eat to convert the stored energy in food into calories, which we convert into bio-electricity and heat. We measure how much food we need by counting calories. Calories are units of heat.That's why it is appropriate to say you are burning calories.

@Kafirah I will need to think on this...as I am trying to figure out the how it intersects with the energy being studied in the Great Colander...sorry I can’t look it up as I forget it’s name or even where it is..,but that energy! That has to be part of all energy?

I never believed that dribble, what’s hard to except is the level of cognitive dissonance and shock people have when they find out not only that I’m atheist but that i’m not going to play howtow to their whimsy.

For me it was that I had taken my first steps down a lonely road, and that when I turned around there wasn't a large group of similar minded people in my life, coming to the same conclusions and rejecting mysticism en masse, joining me on that lonely road.

I was too young to have a hardest thing. As I could argue and ask questions that caused consternation, most folk let me go my own way relatively quick. I have always been a loner -- prefer it to being part of a herd (or flock).

Raised Roman Catholic - which I have to admit - I really didn't enjoy. I know I always had that conversation in my head of "Do you really believe this? No you don't -you are faking it.".
Then agnostic (When I found out there was such a word in High School) for many years - until my sister in law said "Well you nephew needs to talk to you about the mass stabbing at his school because he's an atheist too".
I went "Oh- yes I guess somewhere in there I stopped believing entirely.". It was a relief. To realize I was out the other side.

I don't know that I was always an atheist, but I never was religious. I just never really thought about until I was in my late 20s. I didn't become an atheist so much as realized that I always had been.

JimG Level 8 Mar 25, 2019

I faked it for so many years just to shut my mom up that I can’t help but wonder how many others are doing the same. I liked the music but the rest was so obviously ridiculous that I would laugh during the sermon. You have no idea the number of dirty looks I received from the church ladies.

The hardest thing for me to accept is the blind following without understanding or questioning.

Not much to report, really. It was one of many huge fights I had with my dad as a youth, but that's about it. But from 18 I lived in Sydney, then in my 30's moved to Cambridge, then Manchester - all places where religious practice is not really the norm.

I've always been free from religion, so the hardest thing for me to accept as a young person was the fact that so many adults whom I respected at the time believed a giant dude in the sky would care who they had sex with

Getting past guilt over things which there is really no need to feel guilty about.

I'm not an atheist. I'm still unclear what IS an atheist, exactly. Someone who KNOWS for a certainty God doesn't exist? How is that possible?. I'm agnostic, and since I've always been shunned for this reason or that, I've had no problems whatsoever. All it gave me was a feeling of peace. I've been happier down deep inside the past few years than ever before in my life. And whatever the "truth" is I'll never know, and neither will anyone else. It's a great leveler; we're all in the same boat, regardless of what we "believe."

I'm one of those 40 years wasted dudes. Losing all my "friends and family" was traumatic but in the end freedom was worth everything.

gearl Level 8 Mar 25, 2019

Haven't made it that far but as an agnostic I fear death

Then ARE you agnostic, if you fear death? Sounds like you're still a semi-believer in the God of fire and brimstone! I may leave open a possibility in SOME kind of "god," but I am convinced 100% there is no hell.

@Storm1752 if I was a believer I wouldn't fear death. I fear the unknown I fear the possibility that there is nothing after death

@Biosteelman If you were a believer you'd fear hell if you were a Christian or a Muslim.

@Biosteelman As it is you'll be experiencing what EVERY human being, in fact every living thing, has experienced from the beginning of the universe. But, I do know what you mean!
But I think there may be an afterlife, anyway.

@storm1752 no I wouldn't fear Hell. That's because I'm a good person and are remorseful for any sins I may have commited.
But that only covers Christian religion I don't know about Muslim

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:317456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.