Agnostic.com

20 1

Is there anybody here, like me, who was never religious?

What I mean is people who grew up in a non-religious environment, not people who didn't believe. I know a lot of people will comment here to say they went to church but didn't believe. That's not what I'm asking. I want to know about the people who grew up in families that were not religious in any way (like mine).

GuitarDoctor 7 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I grew up in a semi-religious environment, but it never took. I kept looking for proof and never got any evidence.

I was never religious. I have great respect for those that were and left it behind.

My mother took us to Sunday school, I think as a “let them see it and decide for themselves” kind of thing. It never made a lick of sense to me, and after a while the teacher just stopped calling on me because I kept asking logical questions he couldn’t answer. By the time I was in high school I just stopped going and Mom didn’t object.

No religion growing up. I did not know how blessed I was until I got older🙂

My parents and grandparents were not believers. We had our own Sunday morning ritual that involved donuts and the newspaper and we lived outside of town so no one was even aware our cars were in the driveway.

GwenC Level 7 Mar 26, 2019

We never went to church when we were growing up. Because I live in southern Indiana, my school tried to indoctrinate me every Wednesday by taking us to bible study at a local church. They didn't like me. I asked too many questions.

i was not always an atheist (not until i was 15) but i was nonetheless never religious. i was raised in a secular jewish family. we were so irreligious, despite a strong cultural identity, that it wasn't until, as an adult, i phoned my folks from all the way across the country to ask them whether they believed in god that i found out that my mom wasn't sure but thought she did and my dad wasn't sure but thought he didn't. we'd never talked about it.

g

I'd guess I'd fit the bill here, brought up by an atheist father who was married to a Theistic woman who PHYSICALLY forced me to attend EVER available Sunday School from which, by the time I was 10 years old I had been EXPELLED from for merely asking questions because I wanted answers and also EXPELLED from Primary School Scripture Classes for exactly the same reason.
Praised by my father for my curiosity, cursed by my 'mother' for being a Heretic, Heathen, etc, etc, I have remained a staunch Atheists all of my life and shall remain so even on my death-bed.

Yep it's probably more common in UK I'd imagine. Religion never got mentioned at home. We had morning assemblies etc in school but by the time I was old enough to know what the hell was going on I also realised it was just some story, and not a very exciting one. I figured it out quite a bit sooner than the Santa thing...

Salo Level 7 Mar 26, 2019

Me.
I was fortunately enough to not have been brought up in a religious family.

Never.
Father was raised southern baptist - he, as many in this group, always questioned religion
Mother was raised catholic - she didn't question anything until she met my dad and that was all it took. Never looked back.

pretty much although when I was little I assume I sort of believed because all the adults seemed to

I attended Sunday school and then church every Sunday from the age of 5 to 16 but it never meant anything to me. It was just another not very pleasant task like washing the dishes or bringing in firewood.
I actively started researching the Abrahamic religions a few years ago when I had a church going girlfriend who tried to interest me in her "faith". The more I know about those religions the more I dislike them

Not me, I was a presbyterian until I left school in my teen years...but my parents were not religious people.

I never was religious in any shape or form.

Dietl Level 7 Mar 26, 2019

Me! My aunt took me for about a year when I was in maybe 2nd grade but I think my mom got tired of arguing with me because I didn't want to get up early and wear a dress.

Remi Level 7 Mar 26, 2019

Yep, never got caught by it, despite the fact that religious education was forced on to children in UK schools in my day.

Even though I was born in Salt Lake City and have very deep Mormon roots I don't think I've ever had a religious thought in my life.......

That is I

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:318495
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.