Agnostic.com

14 4

What’s your opinion on open carry?

Personally I’d love to live in a country without guns. On the same token I’m not against people having the right to protect their homes and businesses. I DO NOT like open carry. It makes me nervous to see people in a store or restaurant with a gun on their hip. (Cops too honestly but that’s another issue) How do I know if the person carrying isn’t a hothead with an itchy finger? Or someone who risks seeing only half a situation and steps in. I don’t know where the line crosses your right to bear arms and my right to exist freely without feeling uneasy when I’m out to eat or shopping. And yes the latter of the two should be important.

BohoHeathen 8 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with you here. The only way to make it a little better is making a little harder to get a gun. It's too easy even if the person is a crazy fuck.

I've visited many parts of the country where open carry, and having a gun rack in your vehicle, is common. Plus i work with people who carry guns. I think you're generalizing. That being said, of course there are people who are just looking for an excuse to use their gun. But its not a huge number.

@BohoHeathen "my right to exist freely without feeling uneasy when I’m out to eat or shopping.". I'm assuming that means you see every open carry, as a threat to you.

@BohoHeathen true but automobiles and medical encounters are also potential threats. You're more fearful of guns though. Either way, your feelings or desire to know the mental status of the people around you, doesnt automatically determine why the people who carry guns, should or shouldn't have them. You're not the queen, and this isn't a monarchy.

Not really a fan of it , to be honest

I don't know, but has anybody with a cc permit ever caused a shooting incident where people were harmed? Not them defending someone but them being the perp.

Open-carry zealots are insecure bullies. When an idiot with a gun walks into a store, I abandon my cart and run. Why do they need a gun to buy lettuce?

I told store managers that open carry is unsafe for employees and customers. They agreed.

When I wrote to companies that owned the store (i.e. Kroger), I got no reply.

Vote Republicans out of office!

The Kroger’s Corporate headquarters is about a mile away from my house. I wonder how they would feel if someone decided to open carry in that building?

@ToolGuy To be fair, it’s more about protecting life than property. If you shoot someone when there is no threat to yours or another’s life then you will most likely be charged with a crime.

I’m not for open carry, but I can see if people want to conceal carry in these days when mass shootings occur so frequently.

@ToolGuy I agree with you. I’m just drawing a distinction between protecting property and life.

@ToolGuy Yes. I agree.

This is a touchy subject for Americans. I have nothing against guns but I don't think people should carry openly or concealed. What are they afraid of? I know life threatening things do happen to people and I cannot answer for them but in my lifetime I have never been in that situation. I read a post on Facebook once posted by a friend. They said that if they were in line at a grocery store and someone in front of them tried to rob the store, they would pull out their gun and shoot the robber. After reading that I wondered how that person would feel after killing someone, worse yet if one of their rounds hit and killed an innocent bystander. Growing up I was taught how to handle a firearm safely by the NRA. Back then the NRA was nothing like it is today, it was all about gun saftey. These days it seems to be a tool of the corporations that manufacture firearms.

I have some guns, but they stay at home unless I’m going out to shoot. I think open carry is obnoxious. I think concealed carry is the way to go if someone really feels the need to be armed out in public. Kentucky just passed a bill allowing anyone to conceal carry and I think that is bonkers. A $50 fee & six hour class is not asking a lot for a conceal carry license.

Looking around my neighborhood there are too main types of open carriers, nervous Barney Fife's who are likely to shoot the wrong person and right wing whacko's who are likely to shoot the wrong person

Well, it does tell me who the tiny dick, fragile ego men are so I can avoid them.

It scares me to death to see a firearm on someone's hip. They are asking me to trust that they are mentally stable enough to keep from killing me or other people. That's a tall order.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 13, 2019

I think people have the right to depend themselves. However, this in not the wild west where it is ok to shoot each other in the street to settle a dispute.

Is open carry worse than concealed carry? If the person has a gun on his belt, visible to everyone, you are going to be watching their every move. With concealed carry, you are not going to know they have it, so if they have bad intentions you get less time to react. In Pennsylvania anyone can open carry. To legally carry concealed you need a permit, which is easily obtained as long as you don’t have a felony record. Just remember, if someone has bad intentions, the person carrying open will be the first target, or the person who saves the day. I never open carry, don’t want the attention.

@BohoHeathen, the thing with concealed carry; you have no idea how many people around you everyday have a weapon on their person. Under their shirt, in their purse, strapped to their ankle. Legally licensed or not.

I'm not impressed by someone who needs a gun in Starbucks (for example) to feel adequately protected, and tend to think there's an underlying mental issue (though not a serious issue) with the individual.

1of5 Level 8 Apr 13, 2019

@josh_is_exciting since they seem to be happening everywhere (in the U.S., which should be a clue) we should be worried about them everywhere.

Not entirely sure what point you're trying to make.

Anywhere except bars, liquor stores, banks, and schools. Retail establishments, and restaurants should be free to post "No Firearms" signs. Common sense must prevail!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:330131
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.