Agnostic.com

10 10

LINK A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

TODAY, THE INTERCEPT launches “A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez,” a seven-minute film narrated by the congresswoman and illustrated by Molly Crabapple. Set a couple of decades from now, it’s a flat-out rejection of the idea that a dystopian future is a forgone conclusion. Instead, it offers a thought experiment: What if we decided not to drive off the climate cliff? What if we chose to radically change course and save both our habitat and ourselves?

What if we actually pulled off a Green New Deal? What would the future look like then?

jerry99 8 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love this woman! Thank goodness she and her generation get it and are working toward solutions.

Us older and more cynical folks remember:

If you think she really said the world would end you need to cite the speech. Otherwise you are making things up, which is really sad and kind of stupid.

@bigpawbullets Al Gore was right and if you can’t tell that people are suffering because of climate change today, you’re just not paying attention.

@CallMeDave
Whoa! "Kind of stupid"!!!!! I'm honored!
😉

I loved the video... I love AOC... And she's correct... Unfortunately, the conservative are gonna dismiss it without researching or verifying any of her facts...

I think AOC is what our country needs. I'd hope we see some more young, passionate, SMART & WELL EDUCATED people just like her, on both sides of the house. The elders need to step down and let fresh blood start running the place. My opinion only, of course.

Being both an artist and a progressive, I loved that presentation.

Fox News and their brain-dead viewership hate AOC with a psychotic passion because she's a Washington insider dedicated to complete change to the broken system that supports Repub corruption and the big money corporate bribes they thrive on by taking them all out of the picture and replacing them with revised systems they haven't corrupted to profit from.

The fossil fuel industry, healthare insurers, big pharma, the NRA, they ALL gotta go and progressive new leaders like AOC want them out. Best case scenario, Bernie is elected Prez, Warren is his Vice, and more people like AOC make it into both houses of Congress. That would lead to total change in this country and we need it badly.

Repubs loathe change which is why they never propose any legislation that promotes it. Thay only ever champion policies that benefit corporations and the wealthy. Middle and lower class Repub voters reap no benefit from Repub policies but still blindly vote for them anyway. The kind of change we need will have to be shoved down their throats with them kicking and screaming the whole time.

Eventually they'll start to see and feel the benefits until one day they wake up and say "Oh, this is good. I like this." At which point, we'd have to resist the urge to respond "No shit, Sherlock."

It's fun to dream! If only we could get the people at the top of the pyramid to understand they should WANT to bring up the living standards of those less fortunate and that doing so will make the WORLD a better place. The rich forget about the world, and only seem to care about their world. What should I do with all this extra money? Donate to charity or buy a third summer home and a new jet to get there? Selfish creatures! And they sit in their pews and call us godless!

The scary thing is our universities are turning out leftist, feminist, environmentalist loons like her by the millions, and those people are now voting.

BD66 Level 8 Apr 17, 2019

Thank goodness.

@jlynn37 thank the Universities for that!! We need intelligent young people to replace the current oldsters in politics... Out with the old, in with the new...

show us on the doll where the leftists, feminists and environmentalists hurt you. LOL pathetic

@demifeministgal Damage done by leftists:

Obamacare: I was paying $500/month before Obamacare. 4 years into Obamacare my premiums were going to be $1866/month, but I created a partnership so I could get group insurance and get out of the Obamacare nightmare:

Damage done be feminists:

Family Law courts. My son and I are living through a nightmare where feminists dominate family law courtrooms. My wife has been the suspect in 8 different police reports. She has been arrested twice and convicted once. We had three different policemen testify at hearings about her violent attacks on me. My son has testified to the local police multiple times that my crazy wife has choked him, threatened to cut his throat, hit him multiple times, knocked his glasses off, tortured him in a variety of ways. He has been denied the opportunity to testify against her in court, and the feminists in the family law court system gave her custody of my son. My own family's family law nightmare has played out millions of times in courtrooms across the USA.

Damage done by environmentalists:

Energy-efficient dishwashers that do not clean dishes. Energy-efficient light bulbs that create irritating florescent light. And they are just getting started with the Green New Deal. Let's hope they never become the majority.

@BD66 well that sucks about your kid. But how can you be sure that the lawyers and judges and system for that fact, is controlled by feminists. Do you just assume any female legal professional is a feminist? Do they openly identify as feminist? Or do you assume that because you are being treated unfairly, they must be feminists? The majority of custody is decided outside of the courts anyways, somewhere upwards of 80%+ and the rest that do go to court, the man tends to get custody (he tends to have more money to drag out the custody battle as long as possible).

I cannot speak on your shitty healthcare since y'all are terrified of socialized healthcare and have healthcare as bad as 3rd world countries or in competition with 3rd world countries.

LOL that light must be just annoying to you since you are not use to it. The next generations will be used to it and not bothered the way you were not bothered by incandescent light bulbs.

@demifeministgal I have a better example of being screwed by environmentalists. Rubber has been the preferred insulation for electric wires for over 100 years. Sometime in 2011 or 2012, some idiot greenhead at Honda got the idea that it would be a good idea to get rid of the rubber insulation on the wires in Honda cars and replace that with soy-based insulators. I had no idea of this incredibly stupid decision, but I did buy a 2014 Honda CR-V late in 2013. Well guess what? Rodents love the soy-based insulation! So far rodents have chewed through the soy-based insulation in my car's wiring twice, and it has cost me more than $2000 to get the car repaired!

As soon as I hear the word "technology" I know it is a lost cause. I have said before Climate Change/Global Warming (why can't we come up with one term?) is NOT the problem!! It is a symptom of a much bigger problem (to many demands for limited resources). We need to stop looking at technology to fix what should be a major change in how we view our place in the world and change our habits.

This will not be a message from the future as the way things are going there will be no future for humans. I have come to understand the only way we will change our course is to hit bottom and we are doing that quickly. There is simply too much smile and denial and not enough reasoned based personal actions.

I’m sure you know this and I don’t mean to sound like a know it all, LOL, but for anyone else who is wondering - “global warming” and “climate change” are not synonyms — easy way to remember it is that global warming is a symptom and climate change is the illness — because climate change also includes consequences of melting arctic glaciers, rising sea levels, changing weather patterns, and wildlife/agricultural upheaval due to droughts, floods, wildfires, etc., etc. 😬

@Jenelle Good to know but also confusing. Both terms are used and there are some (I had a run in with one) who are convinced only one is the correct term. Early on the conservatives high jacked global warming to say it's not true. But still even either term is misleading because they are not the only issue but only symptomatic of a larger problem.
I will link something I have mentioned before and which I used at a screening of the 9 films "Years of Living Dangerously". [resilience.org] Needless to say, the audience didn't like what I had to say. They also didn't like the fact that the film series also had some shorter sub-topics one of which talked about the need to go to a plant based food.
[theyearsproject.com]

Nicely done! Very effective propaganda.
The poor woman doing the artwork must have a good case of carpal-tunnel syndrome though.

Why do you call it propaganda? Did you check her statements through Google and discover any discrepancies? Or falsehoods? Or are you just playing follow the leader?

@Cutiebeauty
I checked nothing. As a sociopath I've no leader to follow. Most scientific evidence and or theory can be proved or disproved in today's world. Depends on who you choose as your expert. But anything from either party, regardless of accuracy, should be considered propaganda. I'd say the same thing about the climate change deniers' posts.

This is absolute, concentrated 100% BS!

zesty Level 7 Apr 17, 2019

Did you Google or research anything she mentioned in the video? Or is this simply a knee jerk reaction?

Are you a climate change denier? Do you know the difference between climate and weather? doubtful.

@zesty Yes, we know you, the make-believe scientist who denies climate change in spite of overwhelming evidence. Shouldn't you be telling fortunes somewhere?

Love this woman! Thank goodness she and her generation get it and are working toward solutions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:332702
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.