Agnostic.com

22 22

Trump's New Enemy: Survivors of Sexual Violence

This is horrifying, sexist and cruel. Please call or email your senators today

The U.S. threatens to veto a UN resolution aimed at supporting survivors of rape during war.

The American delegation has taken issue with the proposal’s references to reproductive and sexual health.

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am so tired of men making decisions for and about women.

That's our theocrats for you. If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.

Just bizarre. There is no bottom from which they cannot go lower.

You have never heard of a shovel?

There is no low trump and his minions will not go to. I am so ashamed of my Country and the people who put him in office. My two so called Senators, Cornyn and Cruz could give a flying fuck so I don't bother with either of them.

We got Tillis and Burr here, and they ain't much better,

Everything this "administration" does is an affront to humanity.
Everything this "administration" does makes me want to spit nails.

Trump, the despot of the free world.

That's horrible.

Totally outrageous!

"The U.S. is reportedly threatening to veto a United Nations Security Council resolution aimed at preventing the use of rape and sexual violence as a weapon of war and terrorism. The issue at hand? The proposal includes promises to provide reproductive and sexual health support to survivors of rape in conflict — and the U.S. is allegedly having none of it."

The US has lost it’s ability to know what is health and what is a plain disgrace! They choose...disgrace, because the religious right have the ‘power,’ the thing they have worked for...for as long as I have been alive...and be damned with the rest of humanity!

This Country has now lost any resemblance to what ‘health,’ means. A woman’s reproductive ability is part of her overall health! It can’t be parceled out. Like something she can choose not to have! The American ‘right wing,’ has surely gone crazy! They can parcel out what is for society and what is for god and what is for their religion...but the remainder of us, are not that stupid! These people are truely ‘brainwashed,’ they are taking a modern society back to the dark ages! This is what we have coming out of their restricted education and their preachers and even their lay people! They have their intellect, frozen...they will not be swayed...not with their mindset! What will be done?

Despicable! "Leaders of the free world," eh?

Leaders?? How about despots!

@jlynn37 Ahhh...despots of DOGMA!

Trump and his cabal are despicable!

Why are we surprised that they have taken issue with this, why?

Each new low takes us further into an abyss. It's getting harder and harder to see the light.

@greenkitty Even this will stop one day. Don't despair.

Disgusting and despicable.

Fortunately for you and me, both our senators are women who do care very much about this issue.
How low do we have to go to finally get the legislative branch to start impeachment proceedings. The republicans were sure quick enough to impeach Clinton for his affair.
I think the Mueller report emboldened this scofflaw to go full steam ahead with his destruction of our system. I just finished watching a series on Caligula and couldn't help noticing the similarities between these two 'leaders'.

Insanity is the same for the old days and for now...the difference now, is that Science should override ignorance and still the insane can’t keep up!

@Freedompath The insane are keeping up and it seems as if this is a self-propagating malady. More and more the importance of science is being pushed aside in favor of myths, legends and religion. I wonder if more people are starting to see the end and are looking for what they might be able to get out of it if they started following some woo-woo direction. Problem is this only makes matters worse.

@JackPedigo the old saying goes, ‘you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink!’ People have lost the knowledge of what might be good for them! They read and memorize scripture and let the ‘good old time,’ preacher educate them. Thinking independently is just too much work for some people, it seems!

@Freedompath Parvin's older son was her favorite and very much like her. However, he and his sister became Southern Baptists and she constantly beat herself up on where did she go wrong. She then realized on has to be taught to question and think critically. It often just doesn't come naturally. Her mother fostered this quality in her. Unfortunately, she had a bad marriage and was more concerned about managing the family. Her daughter was overemotional and there was little hope for her but her son was highly intelligent (he got a full scholarship in college and is now a doctor) but there was some emotional need in him (perhaps because of his father). I think these days so many kids have to deal with either a domineering parent or they are latch key kids and have no direction. Right now I am having an issue with my own daughter and am seeing her childhood with a bi-polar mother and alcoholic step-father as being what has shaped her need for religion.

@JackPedigo it can be very complex, trying to put all the pieces that make people who we are, together. We may never find all the answers! We sure need enough of them to function, though.

@Freedompath I agree and I also see it is a life long process. We will only come close to perfection at our death bed.

@JackPedigo that is because we are leaving, lol

So much for the physics that states it is impossible to time travel to the past.

It will get worse

I don't think this woudl happen if we had a democrat as president.

It is not part of Trump philosophy about women:

cava Level 7 Apr 23, 2019

This is disgusting,nothing about power and control for inept power hungry governments at the expense of there citizens

[bbc.com]
The Trump administration's opposition to abortion has led to the watering-down of a UN resolution on ending sexual violence in war.

The US removed all references to sexual and reproductive health.

The Security Council resolution, submitted by Germany, dropped all such references. The US, along with China and Russia, had threatened to veto it.

The Trump administration opposed a phrase on the grounds that it implies support for abortion.

The amended resolution passed 13-0, with Russia and China abstaining.

French UN ambassador Francois Delattre was scathing of the decision to exclude the reference to sexual health, saying it undermined the dignity of women.

"It is intolerable and incomprehensible that the Security Council is incapable of acknowledging that women and girls who suffered from sexual violence in conflict, and who obviously didn't choose to become pregnant, should have the right to terminate their pregnancy," he said.

The removed phrase read: "Recognizing the importance of providing timely assistance to survivors of sexual violence, urges United Nations entities and donors to provide non-discriminatory and comprehensive health services, in line with Resolution 2106."

This line was thought to be a compromise from an earlier version, which included a more detailed description of the health services, "including sexual and reproductive health, psychosocial, legal, and livelihood support".

I have both of my Senators on speed dial and tell them to get rid of the orange one asap.

Gee people, this is beyond being obsessed

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:336098
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.