Agnostic.com

15 5

Why is it there are so few "awake" and agnostic gay or open minded men near me?

I mean I am attracted to masculine personalities in men so I generally fall for the straight guy. But I noticed there are very few men that are open minded or gay that are agnostic or nonreligious close to me. It makes dating potentials very slim. It is quite frustrating to be honest.

Ceaselessmind 7 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lol. Try being Trans and Lesbian. There are even fewer options for dating!
If I had a dime for everytime a straight dude hit on me, I'd be a wealthy single trans lesbian.

I have to say I have entertained a sex change oporation in my mind many times. I often wonder how much different my life would have been if I had been born a female.

In my own, not so humble opinion I see US culture as a puritan backed, (Look at early settlers!) John Wayne mentality. We have both the highest military budget in the world by far and the highest number of imprisoned. I mean how many are looking at the size of our hands and feet....
What exactly are we compensating for?

I am just responding as I have had many gay friends (people are dying that are near my age). But, they and the ones still here...would say, what can you expect in the Bible Belt? Maybe, you could consider moving to other areas where there are more gay people. Everyone, needs friends and especially gay people, because they are a minority and everyone needs a few like minded people around them. Best of luck...

North Carolina..Duh.

Truthfully, seeking an atheist/agnostic significantly narrows the dating pool. And gay is also a relatively smaller dating pool. If 1 in 10 people is a Non-believer and 1 in 10 men are gay, 99% of potential partners are eliminated before you even get to appropriate age, personalities, and all of the other things that contribute to compatibility.

you are going to hate this but they're in the closet

I don't hate that. I am just tired of being single. The shallow attitudes that many of the gay community here have pretty much cuts me from the potential date pool. Straight men flirt with me more and they are much nicer. It just never goes past friends... so essentially I am friendzoned

@Ceaselessmind Well it might help in a left handed way: I am developing a theory that atheism is something that one gradually encounters more and more of as you get older. I used to be into theatre pipe organs and theater organ clubs were always stressing about how there were no young people to carry on their interests. But I looked into it and it turned out that since these groups formed in the 1950s they've been full of old people. What actually happens is that the older ones die off and a roughly equivalent number of middle aged people "age into" the hobby, due to acquired / mature tastes and more time and disposable income. I've found the same to be true of liberal Christianity, which is always going on about the lack of young people. A lot of liberal churches are "high church", and that's an acquired taste that people tend to mature into.

Which brings me back to atheism. There are young people on this site, but most of the actual participants seem to be 40 and up. Think maybe there's a reason for that? I dunno. Maybe the school of hard knocks tends to produce atheists later in life.

I have been an unbeliever for about 25 years and I met my first atheist in my personal life just a couple of years ago. Part of that is that I'm not super social to begin with, was my prior late wife's sole care-giver and otherwise occupied, etc. But I think I'm starting to meet people who are either unbelievers or theists with very loosely held beliefs, in ways I haven't before.

Maybe a combination of heading further northeast if you can, and getting older, will help.

Colorado Springs is the most religious city in CO. I have not been around an atheist friend since August.

Yeah we have pretty much a church every square mile.in most parts here. It really sucks.

@Ceaselessmind All I ever hear now is, "jesus this and that, oh my god, god bless you, etc..."

@Ceaselessmind I've learned to ignore it at work.

There are not enough agnostic, or open minded people ANYwhere ! And as you add more qualifiers to that, down go your odds ...

Tis true unfortunately. ????

You live in North Carolina.....they are hiding from the Republican sex police

I know right!

Exactly what I was thinking.

I don't know how far Monroe is from Ashville but it seems you would have better chances there

I am like near the east edge of Charlotte.

Gay and atheist? Dude you’re screwed! Kidding, how big is the city you live in? I see you’re in NC, is it a safe assumption that people are not super progressive there? Good luck finding someone. Love and hugs.

I am near Charlotte. Lots of gays but all are too shallow and hung up on themselves.

Sorry to hear that. @Ceaselessmind

@Marcie1974 its all good.

Childhood indoctrination

Sorry about that. I don't get why gay people would continue to believe in a religion that condemns them to hell. White evangelical Christianity and being LGBTQ seem mutually exclusive, to me.

@MrLizard In other words, he cherry picks the same as everyone else.

Because you are a real minority even if your just agnostic.

Not much different for us straight guys and trying to find women living close by. I wish you well and success in finding what you are searching for here and in your life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.