Agnostic.com

84 15

How do you de-stress?

I was a christian for 26 years and was used to praying through the hard times to feel better. Now that I don't believe there is a god out there in control of everything, I've had to come up with other ways to de-stress. Sometimes I just remind myself of how far I've come and what I've been capable of. Sometimes I take deep breaths. How do you de-stress when things are tough?

LisaL81 7 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

84 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I destress by singular sexual activities LOL

Maybe go out and drink with friends. The friends part is important since hopeful the situation will be fun and alcohol if used in a safe manor can be a pretty good distressor but it can easily turn into a depressor if your not careful.

I think everyone else covered most of the ways to distress.

Masturbating. It's a problem though. Some places don't have a safe masturbation space. Especially the subway and public library. R.C. Churches have those little masturbation closets where you can be alone or have help fro
m the dude in a smock.

...nature ,music,rest,good food,
pleasant thoughts,aroma thearapy,beautifull
sights&sounds,reading,hobbies,exercise,
like minded group support,daydreams,ect.

The best way for me to de-stress is to do one of two things, or both together. I make a conscious choice to stop thinking about whatever has stressed me, but I first must resolve the stress-trigger as best I can. The best thing for me is to spend time with my dogs. They are about a 400 year old breed, and have been called "comfort spaniels" because they are incredibly good at offering comfort, as they are intuitive and empathetic, not to mention soft and cuddly! Just the act of hugging and cuddling is calming, but brushing or stroking the dogs can do the same thing. I can take that time to move my mind to more pleasant subjects...

I take a lot of time to not get stressed in the first place, prevention is better than cure. But if I am a bit strung out then I turn to my hobbies and interest, which are also part of the prevention.

Listen to Solfeggio Frequencies, Theta waves, Hypnosis. Also close your eyes and do nothing but focus on your breath for 3 minutes. At the end of 3 minutes you will be completely relaxed

I mow laws by hand, trim trees by hand, do physical labor for an extended period of time. That de-stresses me and makes me feel in control and even makes me feel like I have accomplished something. Praying is a wast of time that accomplishes nothing!

I shop. Spoil myself rotten. Works every time!

Nothing relieves my stress better than a long hike

Unity Level 7 May 9, 2019

Breathe slow and loud; get into a good book; work up a sweat, usually a fast walk or an uphill hike; smoke a bowl; sip an alcoholic beverage; clean house; silly YouTube videos; sex (only this far down the list because I’m solo)
But mostly I avoid things that cause stress to spike, like TV news, any Trump news, cities, drama. Stress still rears is ugly head, hence the big bag of tricks listed.

>sex (only this far down the list because I’m solo)

"Best I ever had was me." -- Woody Allen.

Now don't start talking about finger licking good.

I head outdoors for a hike, or watch nesting desert birds from looking over our yard railing.

Photo I just took of a male curve-billed thrasher guarding his nest in a sagebrush thicket growing in desert area adjacent to our yard.

By the way this particular male comes to my sliding glass door at night to say "good-night" to me with a loud "WIT! WIT!" until I nod to him. His mate also calls to me from the thicket, and I can hear other thrashers all over the mountainside also echoing the "wit, wit" call before the male dives into the thicket and everything goes silent for the night.

Sex, garden, hike

I meditate. I talk to people. I positively affirm what I most desire. I lighten up. I get massages. I practice self care. I take a nap.

I go on to Agnostic dot com and start winding somebody up, the more wound up they get, the more relaxed I am.

Keep putting yourself in successively more stressful situations on a regular basis until eventually everyday stress becomes an exercise in monotony and you can no longer understand why trivial things bother some people. Then de-stressing will no longer be required because you won't get stressed in the first place.

That is NOT FUNNY reminds me of Archie Bunker going on TV "arm all passengers with guns to give superiority over armed hijackers to prevent hijacking airplanes

@GreenAtheist I wasn't making a joke

@Happy_Killbot that "plan" is how us veterans were trained for war....so you want our Feminist Atheist comrade to militarize herself normalizing terror in her life ?

@GreenAtheist I think people secretly desire stress in their lives. If everyone lived with the expectation that things were going to get tough, stuff is going to break, people are going to die and the universe is ultimately going to destroy any and all hope that we ever have, everyone would find it easier to cope with the inevitable grief that dominates so many people's lives and is one of the principal reasons that religion exists in the first place.

Stress and grief increases the value of the pleasurable peaceful moments, and being able to cope with great amounts of stress gives you a decisive advantage in times of chaos. It's like working out, you normalize higher amounts of weight and activity then you can lift more.

Eliminate the things that cause you stress, remove yourself from stressful situations. And for the rest a healthy dose of fuck it.

Everything is just temporary. Glass of wine, temporary. Work out, temporary.

I just try to trick my brain into releasing the chemicals I want. Ever just hug somebody for like 30 seconds? Works amazing for killing stress.

Of course, that requires cooperation and advanced warning. You can't just like wrap somebody up for that long without their permission.

I took a 'Dealing With Stress' class once. One of the techniques taught was to sit in a chair, arms extended at your sides, and head leaning back. You close your eyes, and start imagining you are in some exotic place, you've always wanted to go. After awhile, you can "feel" the stress leaving your body through your fingertips. I've tried it. This actually seems to work!

Reading a book to learn something. When im done, i know more than before start the book. And thats amazing, and comes with amusing feelings.

Every morning, I start my day by going to the local YMCA (usually walking). I swim for twenty minutes, doing the backstroke with my eyes closed, and meditating in the pool. As best I can, my thoughts and focus are solely on my breathing and the movement of my body as I move through the water. When I am finished, I feel both relaxed and a bit exhausted from the workout.

Buxx Level 7 May 9, 2019

I use to light up a doobie, but after joining the military I can't do that anymore. Now whenever I'm stressing I either watch something that will make me laugh, or go for a run/workout session.

Osso Level 3 May 9, 2019

I used to do it through drink and music. The drink part doesn't work so well any longer. These days my time is spent between 2 of my computers (I have 3) and keeping them in top shape for music, movies, TV, etc. all around the world. They are my "projects." These days I'm greatly into IPTV and also using my router to block ads and totally change my DNS.

If a woman was around we might try sex. That needs a lot of experimentation and practice also. 🙂

Sex..except when I'm stressing out over sex..

Blow a reef and crank Brandenburg Concertos 2 & 3.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:343783
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.