Agnostic.com

84 15

How do you de-stress?

I was a christian for 26 years and was used to praying through the hard times to feel better. Now that I don't believe there is a god out there in control of everything, I've had to come up with other ways to de-stress. Sometimes I just remind myself of how far I've come and what I've been capable of. Sometimes I take deep breaths. How do you de-stress when things are tough?

LisaL81 7 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

84 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Talking to friends really helps me. Of course, most of my friends like to go to bars, so that's a factor worth noting. Nothing lasts, however, until you completely disengage from the source of the stress, at least for a while.

It depends on what I'm stressed over.
If it's something I have control over then I do whatever needs to be done as soon as possible.
If it's something out of my control then I remind myself of that fact and try to let it go.

Also, binge watching your favorite show on Netflix doesn't hurt either lol.

I run 🏃

I make lists of what to do about whatever's stressing me -- steps I can take to make it better. And sometimes I just have champagne.

Orbit Level 7 May 8, 2019

Walk by any body of water,meditate,certain music,420,playing guitar, strolling through the park/woods...for different stress levels,different solutions

Exercise. I do a regular Muay Thai class now, 'cause I like thumping stuff.

When I look back on my life I realize that more than 95/98% of the things I worried about never happened. I think that a major cause of stress is not always the situation that we find ourselves in but more often our thoughts about it generate stress. Of course, if you find yourself in a hostile working environment and there is nothing that you can do to change the atmosphere, then leave.

There are different ways to de-stress. For me it is doing the things I love. Seeing friends, reading, good music, a funny movie, bike riding by the lake. etc, etc. Do the things you love and your mind will let the rest go.

I have myriad ways. A nice glass of wine. sex, I live on the beach, so taking a walk watching the sunset,
My daily walks to the market listening to music.
Although, I've always been pretty good of letting things go, so loosing stress has never been that hard.
And, I like to do all of those thing anytime.

an hour at the gym, long walk with my dog (see profile pix), good single malt scotch, time with friends and family, afternoon at the beach, and most importantly . . . put it all in context and don't sweat the small stuff . . but thats just me

Trying to de-stress stress me out so I don't, that's what I do

Exercise

your methods sound good. if they work, they work! me, i smooch on my old felines and young puppy, give my guy a big hug is he hasn't been too big a pain in the ass, i play three computer games and one mobile game, and they're intense, so my concentration goes solely on them and not on my problems. i am not the type of person who lies in the sun at the beach; i splash in the water or walk around collecting shells. so concentration is my relaxation. it doesn't work for everyone.

g

Talk to friends, Meet new friends with the same interest. join clubs or even do somrthing you passionate about. Like reading books, ebooks, manga or watch clips, movies, learn something you like or listen to audiobooks, music. There are lot of things you can find.

My puppy

I make bread by hand. The process of kneading the dough allows me to decompress.

GwenC Level 7 May 8, 2019

I analyze my thoughts and determine if I’ve been thinking untrue things ala Dr Maxie Maultsby. That is usually the case when I am stressed. The stress could also come from being in danger. In that case I try to go with gut feelings.

I go out and take pictures, flowers, plants, mountains, animals.

It could be Music or a movie. Or maybe a long Walk somewhere . It depends , sometimes a talk with a friend

You are on one track - see my link below.

Religion is stress....hell threats and heaven bribes induce fear and impossible goals....our Atheism is a return to our Feminist birthright....jobs and city life commuter traffic and fake news all raise stress levels BUT being calm is identifying each stressor and seeking refuge in your safest spaces....bubble baths sweet music having a tender lover comfort food swimming bicycling gardening or keeping fresh flowers in your home are lifestyle patterns of stress ELIMINATION rather than diversions from unidentified stressors

a nice indica and a good song usually.

Sometimes, I must remind myself that I need wait it out. As there is not always anything that can be done. I also do the other things that you mentioned.

I play drums.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:343783
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.